PDA

View Full Version : Would you hold sap in this?

Sandersyrup
02-17-2014, 04:24 PM
My neighbor offered this to me for collecting sap. He's had it for years but never used it. It may have watered horses about 10 years ago.

Safe for sap if thoroughly cleaned? Price tag is free so I hope it passes.

Also, suggestions on how to clean it?

Sandersyrup
02-17-2014, 04:24 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/18/syne2ypy.jpg

Here is a photo.

jmayerl
02-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Uhm, NO.....

Ausable
02-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Hmmmmm! Being a Backyarder (aka Hobby Syrup Maker) and having no standards what-so-ever. I would take an old toilet bowl brush (that may have cleaned toilets ten years ago and a can of Cleaner and scrub this baby a little and good to go. No-No-No!!!!!!! Just Kidding. Sandersyrup - LOL- If used ---- Dr. Tim would probably faint and the Commercial Maple Syrup Makers (aka Angry Villagers) would - possibly - burn you at the stake. I think it would make a nice planter. I have been beat up before because of my low standards ------- I shall wait and see what the experts say along with You. -----Mike-----

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Ask your self this, would you drink from it? If yes, and you are only using your syrup for personal use (not selling), go for it. To clean, I would want a lot of HOT water and vinager. Scrub the hell out of it, then do it again, maybe again too. Rinse a lot and then scrub and rinse again. Then maybe you would drink from it? If not even then, I like the planter idea:D

Ben

Sandersyrup
02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
I figured it would be of no use. But was hoping somebody would know more about this type of tank than I do.

I realize this tank would make commercial producers extremely queazy.. and rightly so considering commercial operations with shacks, and ROs and stainless steel everywhere. All I have is a driveway and some scrap I found that makes pretty darn good syrup..

I noticed somebody on here using a similar tank. So I was just hoping.

Now.. how do I ask my wife for some $$ to get a more suitable tank!

I really do appreciate advise from people in similar situations. This is what a forum is for I assume.. contribute constructively to a collective conversation. Why would anybody take time to login if they only plan to scoff and be snarky?

Thanks again,

John.

Father & Son
02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Watch craigslist.com and pennswoods.net for cage tanks. Food grade tanks only.

Jim

Ausable
02-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Sorry John - I didn't mean to come across that way. Most things can be cleaned up and this also might be able to be cleaned up and ok - hard to tell from a picture. I use toilet bowl brushes all the time (new ones of course) as the rounded end makes them ideal for scrubbing pails and drums etc. What do I use for containers to holds sap in. 4 and 5 gallon buckets with lids, 25 and 50 gallon plastic drums with lids that have contained food products in the past. Two of my drums were used for dill pickles and it was about three years before the pickle smell was gone no matter how much I cleaned them. It had no effect on the sap and the syrup I made from it though. My feed tank is a 30 gallon water tank from a travel trailer that has been modified for cleaning. My Family - kids me about the large collection of stainless pots etc. I have. John - I understand where You are coming from - the idea is to make good maple syrup and not go bankrupt in the process. I apologize for my first reply. Without actually seeing this container I can't give You an honest answer. Hey! Best of luck this season. ----Mike----

Ausable
02-17-2014, 05:43 PM
John - I see You are going to tap about 50 trees. The 50-55 plastic drums are usually under $20. and I have never had a problem finding them. You always want the lids to cover them. I stretch a clean cotton cloth over the drum opening and dimple it and pin all the way around - this is my sap filter to remove debris - simple and it works. I use a Wayne Submersible Pump to pump the sap from there up into my feed tank. I think the pump was about $35. As I get older - I pick things up to try and make it easier. But - As a Hobby Syrup Maker who gives his product away - Cost is always a concern. ----Mike-----

psparr
02-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Look under harrisburg craigslist for barrels. Theres a guy I buy them from for $12.
Check them though. Some had really strong flavorings in them. I get the ones that had vanilla or maple flavorings in them.

Good luck.

Sandersyrup
02-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Sorry John - I didn't mean to come across that way.

Oops, sorry Mike, I did not mean to direct my rant at you.. I was actually just attempting to commiserate/agree with you about how some larger producers on here don't contribute wholesomely with DIYers. Your sarcasm in the original post I actually found quite agreeable. ;) ha!

People should have as much fun and say what they want on here as long as they follow it up with something helpful! thats what I think. Thanks for taking some time to joke around and actually be helpful!

I think I found a source for 55 gallon Organic Agave Nectar drums for $10. Win! I might just go that route and use this old tank to plant some potatoes this spring.