PDA

View Full Version : soda kegs

softmaple
12-03-2006, 06:41 PM
how good are the 5 gallon pepsi soda kegs. are they good for hot packing syrup?

brookledge
12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I believe so although I have not used them.
Keith

mapleguy
12-04-2006, 03:10 PM
any stainless steel container that will seal tightly is good for storing hot packed syrup . just ensure any container is steam washed before reusing, are these units easy to fill and seal?

maplehound
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I use them all the time. Love them. They hot seal as long as you fill them full. You are only handeling 5 gallons at a time and they open up at the top for easy cleaning. Just be sure not to push in on the fittings that are on top. If you pop them in then you will have a hard time sealing them. Thought I might try waxing some of them.

brookledge
12-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Maple hound
You must be talking about the two ports that are normally used to pressurize and supply the soda. If I remember correctly they are like quick couplings. I would think you would be better to put something on the ball socket like J.B. weld or something like that that would set up more permanetely. I would think if you used wax it would melt when hot packing. There must be a good way to seal those fittings so that they don't get pushed in after you have syrup in them and have the vacuum seal lost.
I have thought about trying a few of those my self.
I really like the Dr. Pepper drums though because they have the 3/4" and 2" plugs just like the big drums.
Keith

maplehound
12-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Kieth,
Yea the ports sometimes get pushed in. Also it is best to rmove the stand pipe inside the one port.
I think that the sealing wax we use on glass bottles shoould seal them up and I would think it wouldn't melt when hot packing the canister since the ports are in the open air. But I could be wrong. Guess I will just have to try it sometime.
Also I hear that some of the companies ar coming out with 5 or 10 gallon boxes lined with a plastic disposible bag to store syrup in.
Ron

cncaboose
12-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I bought 4 of these on eBay, where there is a steady supply. ANy ideas out there for getting the Pepsi smell out of them? Even after a thorough wahing, drying and airing I've got a faint Pepsi smell, and I don't even like colas.

maplehound
12-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I scrub them out with baking soca and then let them sit open to air out

NH Maplemaker
12-05-2006, 07:37 PM
My son inlaw got me a few of these last season and they worked out great :!: But the root beer one are bad new :evil: As you can not get the tast or root beer smell out :!: Someone else posted that last year and they are right .The one I had gotton had a sticker on the can that said root beer :!: Hope this helps.
Ron, I think your right about the pipe inside. as syrup can get in side of it and would be very hard to clean :cry: Jim L.