PDA

View Full Version : Adding channels

Jerome
02-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I have a 2X4 pan I have a float valve on the stack side I would love to add channels to my pan. Do the baffles that separate the channels have to be leak proof? As in welded to the base or if there is a slight gap is that alright. I would like to just set them in this year to play around with configuration.
Thanks

jmayerl
02-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Just make a L bend on the bottom of 3/8" and tack weld it every few inches and that will work fine

Jerome
02-18-2014, 07:27 PM
I don't want to weld yet as I want to be able to move them around til I get it just right. would the sap not sit under the L bend and burn?

Big_Eddy
02-19-2014, 11:00 AM
You could solder the divider in if you don't want to weld it. There are a number of threads on here on how to solder. Obviously use lead free solder. Bend a 1" wide flange on the bottom of your divider.
It doesn't have to be completely watertight, but the tighter the better. Assuming a small gap, any sap underneath will dry to sugar and seal the gap. It doesn't really burn - there isn't enough sugar for that.

If you don't want to weld or solder, then it might be possible to find a way to clamp it at either end so that it stays vertical and tight to the bottom. Maybe clamp a brace across the middle to help hold the center down too. There may even be a heat resistant food safe adhesive (like silicone but safe) that you could use.

But really it isn't that critical as to where they are. If you're sure you want dividers in your pan, divide it evenly and stick them in.