PDA

View Full Version : SS milk tank stand

poulin
02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
hi all,

this year will be our first one with a 2x6 evaporator and around 75-100 taps. i have a very clean rectangular old milk tank . i think it is a 200 gallon. it is 48x68. i was expecting to use it as my head tank to feed the evaporator. the problem is the more i think about the stand it would need the more uncertain i become. it is so heavy. i have a tractor to lift it but i am about to give up about the stand.

i saw recent posts about milk tanks so i'm asking myself if someone went thru the same logistic and has good idea about an easy built strong stand ?

alternatively, i consider to keep the milk tank in a shade area because i can't boil everyday as a kind of sap frig and buy a lighter plastic new one ?

thanks for your ideas

maple flats
02-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally I lifted a 415 gal tank onto my elevated platform using my old 25 hp tractor/loader. I had to use a heavy impliment on the rear to lift. My next one I set using my excavator, that tank is now only 200 gal, the 415 and a 550 gal set on the ground to supply the RO, concentrate goes into the head tank now. For a 2x6 you don't need a 200 gal, but if that's all you have and can't lift it, ask a farmer near you and pay him or barter for syrup.

cncaboose
02-17-2014, 04:27 PM
I would use it as your on the ground insulated storage. It's perfect for your size operation. Get a plastic head tank, maybe in the 30 gallon range. Easy to put up and take down for cleaning. I use a 700 gallon bulk tank outside for storage, and a 65 gallon Snyder plastic head tank inside the sugarhouse and am very happy with them. The Snyder tanks are translucent so you can monitor sap supply easily while boiling too.

wishlist
02-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I agree, put the milk tank in the shade and find a smaller head tank. I use a 40 gallon food grade barrel with the screw on top which makes it easy to clean, bought it for $10 . I have a float switch in the head tank that will turn on the pump to fill the head tank when needed.

As far as a sight gauge , get some clear schedule 40 pvc and plumb it into your feed line vertical. This tube also works as a " calibration meter" and with a few calculations you will be able to tell instantly your gph .

poulin
02-17-2014, 05:56 PM
thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. i was leaning more and more toward having it on the ground and you are confirming. Now i have to find another tank, not so easy around if i don't want to buy new.

wishlist
02-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Check craigslist poulin .

Joust7.1
02-17-2014, 08:04 PM
What do you use for a pump to fill your head tanK?

I agree, put the milk tank in the shade and find a smaller head tank. I use a 40 gallon food grade barrel with the screw on top which makes it easy to clean, bought it for $10 . I have a float switch in the head tank that will turn on the pump to fill the head tank when needed.

As far as a sight gauge , get some clear schedule 40 pvc and plumb it into your feed line vertical. This tube also works as a " calibration meter" and with a few calculations you will be able to tell instantly your gph .

adk1
02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
I am using a 55 gal barrel as a head tank for my 2x6. I cut off the entire top so that I could install the bulkhead fitting in the bottom and for easier cleaning. I have a 275 gal cage tank for my main tank. I use a Wayne electric pump to transfer the sap.