PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Year Newbie stepping up to a block arch to improve productivity.

Lethalbowman
02-17-2014, 11:05 AM
After using a propane fish fryer last year to produce 1 gallon of finished syrup I decided I needed to improve my productivity by building a block arch. I have been collecting materials since last year and finally took the time to put them all together over the weekend and did a test fire to see how it would work. I think I am going to like the results. For the record I am using a re-purposed 24" X 30" stainless steel electrical box for my batch pan and used firebricks to line the inside of the arch. I had quite a few patio stones that I used to build up the exterior walls of the arch. Everything is dry-fitted together so I can change/improve as the season progresses. I already had some class A chimney pipes with a 45 degree base so I put it to good use. I just need to make a cap to put on top of the stack to keep out rain & snow. I boiled down approx. 5 gallons of water during my test run in 30 minutes. I have less than $30.00 invested in the new set-up. 87638764876587668767

Lethalbowman
02-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Here is the finished arch in action.

Gary R
02-17-2014, 01:47 PM
You may get a little warping on the door and grate but that is a great looking beginner set up. Hard to beat the construction cost! Next thing you'll be building a sugar house:) Good luck and have fun.

G0J0
02-17-2014, 04:39 PM
nice. right there with you re. the homemade cement block arch and block stack, though I don't have a door. enjoy

Run Forest Run!
02-17-2014, 04:57 PM
I'd take it in a heartbeat! Great, and frugal, job. :D

maplerookie
02-17-2014, 07:43 PM
nice looking set up.. now you will have shorter boil times to make that gallon. .how many taps are you running.

Lethalbowman
02-18-2014, 08:02 AM
I will most likely be running about 35 taps this year mostly with jugs but I do have a dozen or so 3 1/2-5 gallon buckets that will be put to use. I do have 8 5 gallon buckets with lids that I plan to use to gather sap in until I get 40 gallons for a batch. I am a regular at my local grocery stores now asking for empty buckets in the deli/baking section. The front door on my arch is 1/8" stainless steel. It might warp a bit but it sure won't rust!

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-18-2014, 08:12 AM
That looks awesome, CONGRATS on the nice build!!!

TerryEspo
02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Love the investment for what you have. Looks like your going to enjoy the addiction, lol.

Good Luck

Terry

sapdog
02-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Nice construction! I like the pan.
The arch looks similar to ours, although a bit cheaper than what we spent, even with second-hand supplies. We figured we ran at 10 gal/hr (and only at optimal operation).
If you can increase the length of the arch by a block or two to incorporate a pre-heater pot (or just a place to make sap-boiled eggs), I think you'll find it worthwhile. Helps to stretch the BTU's. We did that by supporting a couple cookie sheets over an old grill bearing on the final blocks before the stack.
Happy sugaring!

harrison6jd
02-22-2014, 07:23 AM
Nice job! look better than my first couple of attempts. still waiting for sap here in rhode island. happy boiling!