PDA

View Full Version : Gavanized Barrel for an evaporator?

roastbeef
02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Hi,
I am in the process of making a barrel evaporator from a 55 gallon galvanized barrel. I found that welding galvanized metal can be toxic. If so is it unsafe to use as an evaporator. Any help is appreciated.

roastbeef
02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Let me give some more information.
I am trying to step up from one pan atop a old box stove. My boils were always really long. 16-20 gallons of sap would take me a weekend. This year I am trying to whip together a two pan barrel evaporator, no time in the off season with a new baby who's 1 now. (the plans for the evap I got here).

Anyway, all I have is a galvanized barrel and I have read that heating it up releases zinc vapor which is toxic. Will boiling on it outside be fine once the zinc is gone? Or is it something not to worry about? Thanks again for any help with the matter.
This is a picture of my old set up. It has been run without fire brick. With fire brick and almost everyway in between.(some fire brick)

happy thoughts
02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't use it if only for the baby's health and safety. Zinc Oxide inhalation toxicity is real and is also known as metal fume fever or galvie flu. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2796768/#!po=4.16667 That zinc isn't going to burn off any time soon so you risk extended exposure.

Can you throw together a concrete block arch? They are relatively cheap to build and the blocks can be dry stacked.

maplerookie
02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
a well made block arch rocks for the hobbist. cheap easy to take down and quick to build. some tin, blocks and backyard engineering

wiam
02-17-2014, 08:55 PM
If it is insulated it will be fine. The sheet on the side of most rigs is galvanized and is not a problem

markct
02-17-2014, 10:27 PM
If you want to make the drive down to Northfield Ct I would be more than happy to give you an ordinary steel barrel, just painted not galvanized, so that you would have no issues with cutting, welding, or firing it. Not sure how far away in MA you are but if that would help you just pm me and we can set up a time to meet.