PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone price their syrup at !!!!!!!

Swagner
02-17-2014, 07:13 AM
I was wondering if I was to sell some of my excessive syrup what a good price would be. Most of what I do is canned in pint size jars. I don't grade as I'm not doing this as a business and don't know enough about it. But if I had to guess it's on the dark amber side and very strong maple flavor. Just as Me and my family and friends prefer. Thanks for any help.

optionguru
02-17-2014, 07:27 AM
I'm new to the selling as well and just planning on selling a few gallons worth in pints and quarts to pay for next years supplies. My mother has an antique shop so I figure I would put out some mason jars on her counter. I'm planning on $8 pints and $15 quarts. Seems to be what many around here price their syrup at.

heus
02-17-2014, 07:37 AM
If you are selling you are required to attach a grade and your contact information.

Ausable
02-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Good question. I am strictly a Hobby Maple Syrup maker and have never charged anyone for the maple syrup I make. Many have suggested that I charge for it to cover my costs. My thinking: - This Hobby that I love - than becomes a business and I do not want that. My oldest - gets frustrated with me sometimes and doesn't understand my logic. My reply to him was - If I wanted to make money - I would have continued to work and not retired - Maple Syrup Making is nothing but work - a labor of love- and I would never do it for a living - I hope. My pay is giving Maple Syrup to those who have never tasted it before in their lives and listening to their comments. LOL - My answer to Your question is - Free. -----Mike-----

BreezyHill
02-17-2014, 08:07 AM
The majority of our product goes in glass, with 250ml selling for $13-$14. Very little goes into plastic anymore.
Prior to my taking over the operation most was sold in bulk with a little in plastic. There was some that went to candy but only a few gallons annually.

What ever the market will bear and keep the customers coming back for more. Don't over price and scare people but don't leave too much on the table.

If you look at the time that is spent and figure that in at minimum wage, the cost of supplies with a average life cycle, and the fuel expense. You will be shocked and find that selling may get you to even.

For those that give away product; which I also do. You have to figure in the value of the product as a gift.

Many use the season as a vacation, others as a spa get away, while others this is the main time to see friends and family for fun and family time.

So as you can see this is a question that will have a wide range of prices.

Most don't ever realize the value of their product as they are paid in hugs, kisses, and putting memories in a little kids bank that they will draw on for a life time....How can you put a dollar figure on that?

maple flats
02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Prices vary widely by locality. What I sell for in CNY may be way too high in one place and far too low in another. Your best bet is to check around to see what others retail at in your area. Don't price it way too low, that only hurts you and the local market.
In New York State, you are not required to grade it, but if you do it must be correct. However you must have your name and contact info. I never sold any ungraded but NY Ag and Markets says it's OK.

Sugarmaker
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM
What the market will bear, but not nearly enough!
Regards,
Chris

Bentley Wood Maple
02-17-2014, 07:46 PM
What the market will bear, but not nearly enough!
Regards,
ChrisPriced it localy and priced ours competitively at 15 $ per qt.. Have been there for 6 yrs. Get 55 $ a gallon. We sell out every year.

maple flats
02-18-2014, 04:35 AM
While your gallons may be right, consider raising the QT price a dollar or 2. What else have you seen priced the same for 6 years running? I'll think nothing. In close proximity to Lake George and Saratoga Springs you should be able to get a little more. Then you want to come up with a formula to price your sizes at the right ratio. Start with the gal price, then half gal is like 55-60% of the gal, qts are 55-60% of halves and so forth. If you check your container costs, you are barely (or worse) making enough per gal when packing in qts. to pay for the jugs. The smaller the container the more you need to make per gal.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-18-2014, 04:48 AM
The majority of our product goes in glass, with 250ml selling for $13-$14. Very little goes into plastic anymore.
Prior to my taking over the operation most was sold in bulk with a little in plastic. There was some that went to candy but only a few gallons annually.

What ever the market will bear and keep the customers coming back for more. Don't over price and scare people but don't leave too much on the table.

If you look at the time that is spent and figure that in at minimum wage, the cost of supplies with a average life cycle, and the fuel expense. You will be shocked and find that selling may get you to even.

For those that give away product; which I also do. You have to figure in the value of the product as a gift.

Many use the season as a vacation, others as a spa get away, while others this is the main time to see friends and family for fun and family time.

So as you can see this is a question that will have a wide range of prices.

Most don't ever realize the value of their product as they are paid in hugs, kisses, and putting memories in a little kids bank that they will draw on for a life time....How can you put a dollar figure on that?

How about Moose Store Breezy, I think they had to use the AED on me one day when I picked up a QT and saw the price, want to say it was over 25 if I am remembering the correct store.

Like others are saying check out the market around you. There a guy by me I'v heard him selling Gal for 35, I sell mine for 47 and I sold more this year than I ever have, so that guy is selling himself short and I'm sure he makes good syrup.

maple flats
02-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Many times a low price implies inferior product. Price it right and be proud of what you produce. In the last 4 years my gal prices have gone from $45 to $48 to $49 and now to $52. My online sales more than tripled in 2013 over 2012 and the 2014 sales are above this time last year by a sizable amount. Get what the market will bear. I will re-examine my prices about 7/1 and evaluate from there.

buckeye gold
02-18-2014, 07:41 AM
I am close to 60-65% on each break down. I have one shop that puts their own "bottled for Us by" label on it and they serve a yuppie crowd and get 30% -40% more than my retail out of it. They buy their own container and I bottle it and charge them by the ounce at my quart retail price. I do well and they do well.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-18-2014, 08:25 AM
$35 is awful low, it should indicate an inferior product, however, the producer puts his name on it and is proud of what is produced. So I assume the product is of top quality. Heck a one of my fathers oldest friends buys it from him. I don't mean to be pointing fingers, but will admit to see someone selling filtered, packaged gallons of syrup within 20 miles from me at $10 less than I sell it retail wholesale to bakeries is a little concerning.

I understand the reason large producers drop the price. If they sold it as most large producers do to a packer, they are only getting $30+/- per gallon. The time it takes to sell thousands of gallons retail is a long time, so to move large quantities fast, the plan is to undercut the entire market by offering a quality product at just above bulk wholesale. While this works in the short term, I don't think it helps our industry. Years down the rd when Maple farming becomes a real thing and production levels surpass demand, I believe it will be healthy for the price to drop to keep the industry balanced. That is not the case now.

With all the work it takes to makes syrup, $45 is a fair "sugarhouse" price. I charge close friends and family $40. Of course I give them a bunch too. I think producers should get at least $40-45. At that price it would still be 10-20% less than most of the competition. I also look at it from the perspective of how much it cost to buy syrup in bulk and package into a gal. Most times it is around $33 per gal to buy in bulk. Which usually needs to be heated and filtered. Add the cost of a container. By the time you add your time, it is easily costing you nearly $40 to produce/package a gal of syrup.

The places I sell it to for $45 retail it for up to $60, even $65. I saw some at a local grocery store in Central VT for $35 a qt for Organic Grade B. holy crap that is $140 per gallon. non Organic in the grocery is $20-25 per qt.

Ben

Michael Greer
02-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Our local food co-op marks it up (too much) and sells it for $36 per half-gallon. That makes my price look like a real bargain. I give a bit of syrup away too, but not to those who would willingly be paying customers. Syrup is a powerful thing to bring into a barter situation too.

Sugarmaker
02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Our prices are $55 per gallon and using the 60% for the next lower sizes. Some producers are a little lower. As noted some locations and stores charge a lot more and sell the syrup. We did not sell out last year, but if we have a short season, that extra syrup will come in real handy. Marketing syrup is work just like making it.

I remember one syrup maker within 60 miles said the only ones worried about the prices are the syrup makers.

Regards,
Chris

maple flats
02-18-2014, 05:34 PM
I didn't sell out of syrup but to stay in syrup I had to buy bulk twice (a 30 gal bbl and a 40 gal bbl.) just to have syrup to sell. I'm going get my first boil on Thursday and I only have about 40 gal total inventory, adding up all the grades and sizes.

Russell Lampron
02-18-2014, 06:29 PM
I get $50 for a gallon, $30 for a 1/2 gallon, $18 for a quart and $10 for a pint. I pack it all in NH Maple Producers Assoc plastic jugs. I find that most producers in my area are selling their syrup for similar prices. Some a little higher and some a little lower. I also have no problem selling my quarts for $18 when Sams Club and other stores have quarts on the shelf priced as low as $12. My customers tell me that my syrup tastes better than the stuff that they sell at Sams and other places.

Don't sell yourself short by under pricing your product. I did that when I first started selling syrup and it was a lot of hard work raising the price to where it should be without losing my customer base. Do a little research in your area and price yours accordingly. I look at the syrup prices whenever I see it for sale to see if I am still in line with what others are selling it for.

red maples
02-18-2014, 07:09 PM
I Am at

I only do gallons at special order $52 gallon
$34 1/2 gallon
$19 quarts
$11 pints
$7 1/2 pints

I raised my prices 2 years ago to see what would happen, never got any complaints so I left them up. and it flys off the shelf I can't keep up with the demand!!!

maple flats
02-19-2014, 05:51 AM
I get very few comments on price and I sold more than I made last year (had to buy bulk). Even for repeat customers who email me, I send them an invoice (I use PayPal) and in the comment section I say something like "sorry, I found it necessary to raise my prices again". I don't think I've ever lost a sale. I raised my prices last April 15, and again Jan 1. Still no lost sales on repeat orders.

SeanD
02-19-2014, 06:22 AM
I was wondering if I was to sell some of my excessive syrup what a good price would be. Most of what I do is canned in pint size jars. I don't grade as I'm not doing this as a business and don't know enough about it. But if I had to guess it's on the dark amber side and very strong maple flavor. Just as Me and my family and friends prefer. Thanks for any help.

Where you are in Mass makes a big difference. When I first started selling my syrup and asked around for market prices like you are doing, I set my prices based on what other producers had. The problem with that was it was the wrong market. I'm 50 miles from the producers in western Mass and those prices were far below the market for syrup here. My actual market is Stop and Shop, Roche Brothers, etc.

I didn't raise them for years thinking I was being too greedy. It was my customers in the end who kept telling me to raise my prices. Once I did raise them, I set the quart as my target price to match the supermarkets down the road and then worked down to my pints, glass, and half-pints. Around here the largest container is a quart, so I set my price to that. I used percentages as a ballpark, but rounded to the whole dollar to avoid dealing with change.

Quart - $20
Pint - $11
12 oz. glass - $9
Half-pint - $7

Remember to grade it and put your contact info on each container even if you are selling by word of mouth.

Good luck,
Sean