PDA

View Full Version : Black Stains

Jerome
02-17-2014, 05:33 AM
OK beat me with a stick, it seems that I did not do a good enough job of cleaning up last spring and some of my plastic containers had black mold in them, I have cleaned as best I could but there is some staining of the plastic. I cleaned them with detergent and bleach and rinsed well, is the staining a concern? or am I just paranoid. Syrup is just for personal use.
Thanks

sugarsand
02-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Jerome, were you to actually scrub the stained areas? Using bleach or a sanitizer may kill the mold, but will have to put some hand work on the stains. Good luck, your not the only one with that problem.

Sugarsand

buckeye gold
02-17-2014, 06:11 AM
It is really hard to clean porous plastic well enough to never have this happen, don't beat yourself up. That is why all my plastic barrels are one season and done. Buckets i can get access to and I do a hard bleach clean on them at the season end and let them air dry for a few day before sealing them up. Still if i see any spots they are history. I replace at least 25% of my buckets annually. I'm think more all the time that plastic is not a good long term equipment choice. I'm trying some bags this year and may switch to all bags next year that I can throw away.