PDA

View Full Version : CORN FIRE

the old guy
12-02-2006, 08:24 PM
LOT OF DISCUSSION ABOUT WOOD, OIL, GAS, COAL FIRED EVAPORATORS. WHAT ABOUT CORN? IF YOU VISIT A RURAL KING OR OTHER FARM - HARDWARE STORE THEY HAVE CORN BURNERS SETTING AROUND? HAS ANYONE EVER CHECKED THEIR BTU PER BUSHEL? CORN CERTAINLY WOULD BE LESS MESSY THAN ANY OF THE ABOVE FUELS AND EASIER TO STORE. WHAT DO YOU THINK??

THE OLD GUY

archangel_cpj
12-02-2006, 10:06 PM
it would be complicated as it has to have an induced draft and one would have to get a auger system likly gyp one from a home heating unit. Corn does supposedly have more BTUs than oil and wood dont think it has more than coal but not sure.

ibby458
12-03-2006, 06:00 AM
That's an interesting concept, especially if you live in the corn belt.

I wonder if there would be a benefit to tossing in a few shovels od cob corn in with a wood fire?

mountainvan
12-03-2006, 08:25 AM
my neighbor burns corn in his pellet stove, not a good idea, at least for his stove, but he bought a truck load and is stuck with it. When it's not hot enough to burn everything our part off the valley smells like the movie theater burned down. Nasty burned popcorn smell. Worst is it leaves an oily residue in the stove, once again from not burning hot enough, and when it did get hot enough to burn it off we thought his house was on fire from the thick black smoke pouring out for at least 30 minutes. SO unless you have a real hot fire in your firebox I would say corn would just make a mess of the bottom of the pans and make your syrup taste like burnt popcorn. Plus every rodent from three counties around will come to your saphouse for the free corn off the cob! And yes I think my neighbor is a........

HanginAround
12-03-2006, 10:13 AM
LOL mountain, I was cracking up.

tapper
12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
I set up my 2x6 to burn sawdust one year. It worked ok but even after building 2 different burners I still couldnt get enough fire. With more experimentation I'm sure I could have made it work but it was just too easy to convert it back to wood. The hopper and auger system I used is the same as I use to heat my house and the same system was at one time marketed in the midwest to burn corn.