PDA

View Full Version : Firing up evaperator next morn with RO sap

SLW826
02-16-2014, 05:14 PM
We bring our sap to about 6-8% then start to boil, we let the fire go out before the sap is gone.Next AM, fire it up, and it will make its first (auto) draw like 5 gallons!! almost scorching the front pan! SCARY! any suggestions, Thanks!

sugarman3
02-16-2014, 05:52 PM
It's setting in the front pan and simmering after the fire goes out,probably you have the floats off.Try figuring out how much you can have left in the tank that feeds the evaporator,2-3in probably and fire till what you figure out how much you need ,then syrup in front pan will keep coming off till you stop firing.I also cheat by shutting off the float from back to front and monitor temp in front,when syrup comes off open float till syrup stops coming,shut valve off again till more syrup comes,open valve,once the fire is completely out,you should be out of sap in feeder tank.Start up the next day by keeping float from back pan off till front pan boils,as soon as front pans boils,open float from back pan,syrup should come within10-15 min and it should,t be a large drawoff.I used to have the same problem that you did,it's a matter of playing with levels at the end and as I say cheating at the end,just remember you got to watch it closely at the end when getting low on sap.

nymapleguy607
02-17-2014, 06:34 PM
I would say you need to draw off more sweet before you loose the gradient in the front pan. I have a 2x2 syrup pan and I draw off about a gallon and a half of sweet, I don't have an ro so the amount of sweet you draw off will be different. Before I started drawing that much sweet I would have a huge draw after I started the evaporator, and a couple times I thought I was going to scorch the pans.

SLW826
03-18-2014, 07:28 PM
We sometimes run holding tank empty, chasing with water, or put a plug in it at the right time, keep the floats open also......back pan is 30 x 72, and front pan is 30 x 48, would take alot of buckets to drain extra sweets,,,

Russell Lampron
03-18-2014, 07:44 PM
I don't use an auto draw off so what I do may not help. I concentrate to 14% or higher and run my evaporator pretty low when I shut down. I run the depth a 1/2" deeper in the front pan when I first start boiling and keep a close eye on the bubbles in the pan. When they just start to get big and break in the center sections I start drawing off. I watch the progression of the bubbles and let the syrup run into my draw off tank while I pour the near syrup back into the second channel in from the float. My front pan has 4 channels. After that first draw off the gradient is usually set for the rest of the boil and I reset my front pan depth at 1" and boil until I run out of sap.

SLW826
03-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Any other advice gents?? boiling season is ON!! all advice is appreciated.