PDA

View Full Version : Smallest tapable trees

farmerfletch
02-15-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked but how small a tree is too small to tap? I've typically gone with the rule if my hands don't fit around it a tap is going in, but just wondering if that rule isn't so good?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

collinsmapleman2012
02-15-2014, 05:38 PM
usual guidelines are eight to ten inches in diameter for one tap. I usually go ten inches, but as low as eight if the tree has a good sized crown, because I know the tree can handle it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Proctor maple research and cornell both have suggested DIA. one is 10" minimum and the other is 12". I think Ohio State Univer. has guide lines also. I do 10" minimum myself.

happy thoughts
02-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Dr Tim posted some good links today in the UVM thread. Several were on tapping and sustainability. Check them out, particularly this tapping guidelines pdf. (http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/tapping_guidelines.pdf) They recommend 12 inch minimum DBH if trees are healthy with good canopies and growing in good conditions.

ldick
02-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Are soft maples any different than hard maples when it comes to minimum size that can/should be tapped?

Russell Lampron
02-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Are soft maples any different than hard maples when it comes to minimum size that can/should be tapped?

Generally the guidelines are the same unless you consider the red maple to be a cull. In that case if you can drill straight through from one side to the other put 2 taps in it and turn on the vacuum.

DrTimPerkins
02-18-2014, 07:28 PM

This is a very good question that unfortunately, at present, we do not have a good answer for. Given the lack of information, the same guidelines are used for all types of maple.

markct
02-18-2014, 09:27 PM
I may be scolded for this, but I do tap some trees that are 8 inch or even a little less if they are in an area that they are growing vigourously and healthy, I do tap a bit shallower on these smaller trees. In some places where a tree is growing near a building etc where it will be cut before it reaches tappable size I have tapped as small as 4 inch and surprisingly most seem to heal fast and grow rapidly, but as I said they will be cut before they get too big so I figure I might as well get something out of them in the mean time. I also have some clusters of trees that are 3 or 4 trees together and I will tap them even as small as about 4 or 5 inch yet tap a different one of the cluster each year so that each have 3 or 4 years to grow between tappings. One thing I will say is that I only do this on trees I own, on rented trees I adhere to the guidelines of 10 inch generaly, my own trees I will play games and experiment with but not others trees!

markcasper
02-19-2014, 01:56 AM
. I also have some clusters of trees that are 3 or 4 trees together and I will tap them even as small as about 4 or 5 inch yet tap a different one of the cluster each year so that each have 3 or 4 years to grow between tappings.

The thing with doing something like this is you can never tap the inner side of these clumps, so basically you can only tap where you can get the drill in. On a different note and without saying any names, I have seen several bushes of very prominent industry leaders that are indeed tapping smaller than the recommended guidelines, and in some cases several inches less than the guidlines. Its baffling to me when one asks particular producers and the answer is we don't tap under 10", but yet their woods has got everything 6"-8" tapped, cull or not. Kudos to those that don't overtap!

Cabin
02-19-2014, 07:11 AM
The thing with doing something like this is you can never tap the inner side of these clumps, so basically you can only tap where you can get the drill in. On a different note and without saying any names, I have seen several bushes of very prominent industry leaders that are indeed tapping smaller than the recommended guidelines, and in some cases several inches less than the guidlines. Its baffling to me when one asks particular producers and the answer is we don't tap under 10", but yet their woods has got everything 6"-8" tapped, cull or not. Kudos to those that don't overtap!

Maybe they are using the 10-12 centimeter rule. I have over 75 tap able trees(over 12 inches) on my property and at the moment I am tapping each tree every other year. When I started I did tap a few around 10 inches but they take three years for the hole to cover over.

madmapler
02-19-2014, 08:12 AM
With all due respect for the reasonings concerning tapping 12" and higher trees, I look at many of the the producers in my vacinity who have been tapping the same trees for several generations and see what I term as "greedy" tapping practices and I have to wonder if tapping a little smaller is'nt going to be ok. Not always, but often, these guys tap roadside trees in the 6" range and will put 2 taps in a 12" tree. Granted, their sap to tap ratio is lower than what it could be but its been going on here for ages and they seem to find sap in them every year. I dont think they are aware of the recent studies and I dont think it would change things if they were. I will confess that when looking for a fifth tap sometimes I go to 9" when the crown looks good. I have also tied in a few on a run with the intention of alternating them from year to year. You dont have to tap a tree every year if you think it needs a little rest. I know one guy who is "old school" and he lets one bush rest every few years. I'm no seasoned expert but with what I've seen, my conscience is good with what I'm doing. I just want to add that the majority of 9" trees get passed by,even ten or 11" if the crown looks somewhat skimpy.

nepatom
02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
I see where you have block arch, would you have ay pics of it that you could post, I'm interested in building one.

Thanks, Tom
I live in Jefferson Twp.

Loch Muller
02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't go smaller than 10 inches and some of the 10-11 inch ones with poor crowns don't get tapped. I'm figuring it has more to do with individual tree vigor and growth rate than the actual diameter (once you get above 10 inch DBH). If a tree is in a dominant or codominant canopy position and has a good healthy crown I don't see why you shouldn't tap it. I've seen 10-11 inch trees with tight bark and full crowns easily close a 5/16" hole in one year while some of my older 18-20" DBH trees don't close up as fast. If you ever looked at the growth rings on the stump of a cut tree you notice that the diameter growth on most trees is not at a fixed rate throughout their life. Some trees just don't grow fast at all regardless of their environment (runts of the litter I suppose). If a tree is a runt that doesn't grow fast no matter what than its a runt and I kill it before it reproduces more little runts, no room for charity in my woods.

Cabin
02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
87968797Still trying to figure out the picture thing.

I see where you have block arch, would you have ay pics of it that you could post, I'm interested in building one.

Thanks, Tom
I live in Jefferson Twp.

adk1
02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
pretty sure you can tap saplings now from what I understand..or I mean cut the tops of them off that is.

Loch Muller
02-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I've read the stuff they are working on at UVM with small saplings and think its great, but I'm talking more along the lines of a traditional sugarbush with main canopy trees all around the same age with different sizes and vigor. If your trees are a mix of ages it might be different, but a lot of the spots I tap have trees that are all about the same age. Not saying anyone is right or wrong by tapping smaller trees, just sharing my opinion and what I do with my trees. I think the coppice type system Dr. Tim at UVM is researching needs to have full sunlight or nearly full available to make it work.

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I think the coppice type system Dr. Tim at UVM is researching needs to have full sunlight or nearly full available to make it work.

That is correct. Topping and capping of small understory saplings will kill them in a fairly short time.