PDA

View Full Version : Am I wiring this motor right?

red maples
02-15-2014, 12:09 PM
3/4 hp motor was running it 110 now switching it to 220 just wanna make sure I am wiring it correctly.

Here is a pick of the wiring diagram.

I know the black and yellow connect together those to the Black or hot wire right?

Then for the purple? this was neutral on the 110 so is it hot now? and connect that with the red or other hot wire?

then there is no neutral or white correct?

just need some clarification.

lpakiz
02-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Brad,
There will be no neutral or ground using these wires. You should have a safety ground( use a green wire only) but that is not part of this schematic.
Also, the two leads that you have with 220 are both "110 volt hot" and are equal to each other and interchangeable.

OK, the black and yellow wires are twisted together and are connected to one one of the hot leads. (110 to ground if you test it)
The purple gets the other 110 hot lead. Again, these 110 s are equal and interchangeable, and will equal 220 when tested to each other.
The brown gets a wire nut or tape, just to keep it from touching anything else.
The white, orange and red get twisted or wire nutted together and taped, but hooked to nothing but each other.
A green safety ground should go from the frame of the motor to the ground lug in the breaker box, maybe via plugs, cords, whatever, but should find its way back to the breaker box.

red maples
02-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Good thanks. yes there is a ground connected to the frame of the motor. I figured I was right just wanted to make sure thanks again.