PDA

View Full Version : evaporator out of level!!!!

PerryFamily
02-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Due to frost cracking and heaving my sugar house floor, my evaporator is now a 1/2" out of level from side to side. Front to back is good!! The thing is that half way through the season when the frost subsides it will be back to normal.
Question: What would be a good temporary fix

I was thinking about a piece of steel under the low side of the pans. Then should it subside I can pull the piece out and be back to good.

Note I run a RO and run my pans @2" so maybe it won't bother?
Thanks in advance

adk1
02-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Just keep adjusting it throughout the season

lpakiz
02-15-2014, 09:17 AM
If you have an appropriate "foot" at the bottom of the leg or a strong bottom rail, perhaps you could use a 3/8 bolt, 4 inches long or so. When layed down, the bolt forms a "tapered wedge" that you can insert to whatever height you want. If 3/8 is too big or small, substitute 5/16 or 7/16, whatever. For a very small amount, a nail layed down works the same way. I used to do this under the pan, to "fine-adjust" the level of the pan. I used a screwdriver as a lifting lever.
A stack of washers would also work.

PARKER MAPLE
02-15-2014, 03:47 PM
HI PerryFamily, I have seen a guy with a big 5ft wide arch that's pans were 3/4s of a inch out when hes started. What he did was go some of the woven rail gasket. It measure apprx 1/4in think so he ran 3 of those under the one side. and as it came back towards level he would remove them as needed. Just a idea for you. Seams to be a lot easier to lift one side of the pan then the whole rig and adjust.

PS my wife said you were gearing up to go tapping. Good luck this year. Let me no when your boiling would love to come down and check you out

Parker Maple

Michael Greer
02-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I used a stack of big, 1/8 inch washers to level mine. A big pry bar will give enough of a lift to insert or remove on as needed. If your arch is really big, you'll need a really big bar.

Maple Hill
02-15-2014, 04:56 PM
My arch a 5by16 has pipe for the 3 side legs with.a bolt on the bottom head down with a nut on it so you can raise or lower it. The fire box would have to be shimed to raise it.