PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready!

daverobitaille
02-15-2014, 05:44 AM
OK....This winter was long enough! Now I am getting this urge to tap and boil again. It is like a sickness every year! Getting the buckets out of the shed this weekend and wash all the equipment to be ready for the next week or so. I want to book vacation time but difficult to do so as the long range foecast is not too good.

Just getting tried of waiting I guess. Yesterday here in Coldwater we has a hint that the season is coming. It started to melt on the streets.

I will not tap as many this year as wood supply is low and also work. Last year I was off work for 2 months so this year it will be just a weekend hobby and make just about 5 gallons of finished product for my family. :)

Any one also getting ready as well?

Dave

MapleLady
02-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Getting ready here in southern New Hampshire. The long range forecast is looking very tempting. :)

vikingHB
02-15-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm not tapping until the first week of March. Mostly everything is ready to go. I know they are forecasting warmer weather next week, however the week after is real cold again. I don't want everything frozen solid. I don' t think it will flow that well next week with all the snow, and most probably rain.

Rangdale
02-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Planning on putting a bunch of taps out on Monday, looks good next week. And Mother Nature saw fit to dump 2 feet of snow in the last couple of days to make tromping thru the woods that much easier....

Jerome
02-15-2014, 09:01 AM
I hope to get everything ready this weekend and tap next, with all the cold and snow this winter I don't think it will run until after that even though we are suppose to have some above freezing days this week.

drpud
02-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Hi all
Extended forecast seems to be bouncing around a wee bit here in SW Ontario. 2 days ago forecast was for 5-8 C towards end of this week but check of accuweather this AM showed 2-3 C and rain/ice mix. Snow is thigh deep in the bush and still have some bush trails to clear of snow but I have 150 buckets ready to go so I might try to put out 25-50 taps by weeks end just to see how things flow. Long range it looks like late Feb- early March should be prime.
Paul

Run Forest Run!
02-16-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm all ready and just waiting for Mother Nature to co-operate. Apparently she thinks I need more snow because that's what's happening outside of my window at the moment.

Galena
02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Like most everyone else here, itching to get the gear out and start getting ready. But due to the vast amounts of snow and lingering cold, very seriously doubt that I'll be tapping on Feb 24th like last year :-( And if we do have a bigsap run, I sure as hell hope it ends by Easter!!

Bruce L
02-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Even if the sap were to start it would likely freeze up with a lot of the mains and laterals under snow. Buckets would require ladders to gather by time the snow all melts.

Jerome
02-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Hopefully this is the last COLD morning it is -24c here on the shores of Georgian Bay even with slightly above freezing temps forecast later this week I don't think there will be and runs this week,I hope to tap next weekend.