PDA

View Full Version : Leader Check Valve Spile Drilling Depth

treehugger
02-14-2014, 06:56 PM
I see the new Leader CVs have a lip on the part that goes in the tree. Just wondering if there are any new recommendations as far as drilling depth?

DrTimPerkins
02-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Just wondering if there are any new recommendations as far as drilling depth?

As with any spout, it is an individual choice. Most common (on vacuum) is 1.5-2" depth. Deeper holes will produce somewhat more sap, but deeper holes (after some period of time) will also mean an increased chance of hitting an old taphole (which reduces sap yield). If you do drill deeper holes, just make sure that your droplines are plenty long enough, especially when using the seasonal spouts that are cut off at the end of the season. If your trees are small and slower growing (you've not thinned for a while), then shallower tapholes are better. Larger and faster-growing trees = OK to drill deeper.

treehugger
02-15-2014, 07:43 PM
As with any spout, it is an individual choice. Most common (on vacuum) is 1.5-2" depth. Deeper holes will produce somewhat more sap, but deeper holes (after some period of time) will also mean an increased chance of hitting an old taphole (which reduces sap yield). If you do drill deeper holes, just make sure that your droplines are plenty long enough, especially when using the seasonal spouts that are cut off at the end of the season. If your trees are small and slower growing (you've not thinned for a while), then shallower tapholes are better. Larger and faster-growing trees = OK to drill deeper.

Thanks Doc. Great information as usual.

adk1
02-16-2014, 10:00 AM
I pretty much tap to the tree. Larger tree I go 2" smaller I go 1.5"