PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker holes in a maple tree

farmerfletch
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
I was up checking my lines and I noticed some woodpecker holes between 3-8 feet up, most of the damage was higher up, I was wondering if I should tap this tree or not? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul VT
02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
I would. If the peckers are putting holes in it, it won't last long. Might as well get what you can while it lasts.

Foremaple
02-13-2014, 07:32 PM
They are the lowest cost pest management around. the only other thing would be to get it out of the woods to remove the rest of the bugs. if you are going to, tap it one more time!

farmall h
02-15-2014, 09:51 AM
I would stop tapping the tree once the leaves come no more. Let the peckers peck it, don't cut it, they tend to stay on trees that have bugs.

Tor Haxson
02-15-2014, 01:21 PM
I would stop tapping the tree once the leaves come no more. Let the peckers peck it, don't cut it, they tend to stay on trees that have bugs.

Peckers tap trees with rot and bugs.

SapSuckers go after healthy trees. Or they go after trees that they have fed on before.

http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/research_papers/pdfs/scanned/OCR/ne_rp136.pdf

Not much you can do about it I suppose, but there is a difference. If Sapsucker damage do not suppose the tree is filled with bugs... yet .

--
Tor