PDA

View Full Version : Mainline Servicability

highway
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
I know the rule of thumb for changing out drops and laterals but do you all change out your mainline often too?

What kind of time are you letting your black plastic mainline stay in service before switching out?

Ed

mapleack
02-12-2014, 11:25 AM
I've done 15 years, but I'm hoping to go to 20 with blue maple pipe. There's no reason black wouldn't be fine as long or longer. Just don't let trying to save on pipe make you put up with a substandard installation instead of replacing. The only reason any of mine has been replaced is to redesign for better production.

maple flats
02-12-2014, 07:07 PM
I also plan 15-20 years.

BreezyHill
02-12-2014, 08:40 PM
I would change at 20-25 years. I imploded a section of main last year that was orange. It was from the later 1980's. What a mess...little pieces of plastic everywhere. In all there was about 5 feet that was missing. We ran anew line and replaced 1500' of 1" in a hurry. So this season we are changing out the rest. We are upgrading to W/D to get more production and going all 1" and removing all the 1/2" and 3/4"...just not worth all the different supplies in the sugar house. I use a fair amount of black and don't mind it as it thaws faster. We have black of the same vintage and it seems fine but some has that same stiff feel so it is going to get changed when we have time.

I think it is best to judge the mains on its integrity. The bad stuff was stiff and felt...almost like it was brittle. It would still bend but didn't feel right for a 38 degree day.

Thank GOD nobody was near it when it went. lots of pointy shards of tubing all around.

highway
02-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info, never heard of an exploded mainline before, must of have been a mess to clean up.