PDA

View Full Version : CANDY PROBLEM

MASSEY JACK
11-30-2006, 06:35 AM
What happens when the invert sugar is too high? I used some 2 year old light to medium syrup to make some cream and candy last weekend. I boiled it to 24 and 32 degrees above boiling water like I have done before. I cooled it to 80 degrees and stirred it. It basically made taffy. No crystalization occurred. Is this what happens if the invert sugar is too high? I have made candy with this syrup (different jug) before. Someone else on the trader had said that invert sugar can go up with age. Another piece of the puzzle is that I needed some defoamer and I used a little "I can't believe it's not butter" from the fridge as I was not at home(Thanksgiving). I am wondering if that stuff may be the culprit.

royalmaple
11-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Jack-

Same thing happend to me, I was using dark syrup from this year, but best I could make was like taffy looking stuff and same consistency.

Used some lighter canned stuff, and it worked fine.

So I was thinking the problem was the darker syrup, plus this stuff was uncovered and originally had to be reboiled and I skimmed the small bits of mold off it too.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-30-2006, 05:41 PM
In my experience, the older the syrup, the harder it is to make candy. I don't know if that is correct, just what I have experienced. :?

HanginAround
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I would say it's high invert. Invert goes up with age, and with dark colour, and with any issue that causes the sucrose to break down, like mold or bacteria.

You would think with temps where you were at, even high invert syrup would crystallize, but maybe not. Be careful the thermometer stem doesn't touch the bottom of the pot, you'll get a false high reading. I don't think the choice of defoamer makes a difference unless you used too much, just takes a tiny bit.

Rocky Mountain Maples
12-01-2006, 05:48 AM
"I can't believe its not butter" I am not sure whats in it. I would only use defoamer. Its the only thing that CFIA (canada food inspection agencey) will allow.

Dave