PDA

View Full Version : Small timers who use propane/turkey cooker setup...

dseis1105
02-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Due to the fact that my wood supply was not replenished over the summer (:mad:) and that I'll be going on 8 months pregnant at syrupin time, I will just be using my propane cooker ($$ yikes) and tapping only a couple trees. Would it be more efficient to boil my sap on the cooker with my stainless buffet pan as opposed to the turkey cooker pot? At first it would seem like yes, but then I got to thinking, if I don't have a good way to warm the sap prior to adding it to the boiling pan I'll be killing the boil every time I add. At least if the big 'ol pot is boiling it can sit there and boil a couple hours without needing attention. Any thoughts on how to most efficiently use the lp cooker would be appreciated!

silveradomaple
02-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Have used a turkey fryer the past couple years. See pic to see the set-up. worked quite well.......boiled about 3gal / hr on it and never lost boil. Sap was trickling in slowly. Have to keep an eye on it though so you don't boil dry or overfill the pan8701

steve J
02-11-2014, 05:59 PM
I started boiling with a turkey frier 12 years ago It use to take me about 12 hours to make one gallon.

Birddog
02-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I started with the large pot and switched to steam tray pans. They have a larger surface area so you would get a better evaporation rate.

I hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Quality Maple Syrup
02-12-2014, 07:47 AM
That's how my wife and I started out last year was with the ole turkey fryer. Sitting in the barn and enjoying it. The only pain in the butt was the timers on these things that you have to press every 15 minutes. Grrrrrrrrr! And now the other issue is around here propane has jumped over double what we paid last fall. The electricity has doubled as well so there goes the single burner. Guess wood fire is next.... By the way, boy or girl or surprise?

dseis1105
02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the pic Silveradomaple. I definitely have to find a way to slow-feed into a pan I think. Fortunately mine doesn't have a timer Jackwheeler...and it's our 3rd 8714surprise! It's going to be hard limiting taps, but with propane sky-high I'll have to cuz it kills me to dump sap...

Run Forest Run!
02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
I have used a coffee can with a tiny hole punched near the bottom to create a way to slowly add fresh sap to a rolling boil. I learned about it on here and also saw it mentioned in a sugaring book.

Here's a picture:

325abn
02-13-2014, 07:38 PM
I suggest using the flat pan and also blocking around your burner and modifying the burner so it is closer to the bottom of the pan. I started with one burner and buy the time I was done with propane burners I had a 3 burner rig with a restaurant pan. Walked inside to get a bite to eat then I saw the distinctive white smoke and knew it was time to graduate to a "real" evaporator.