PDA

View Full Version : Going on vacuum

blac
02-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm going to give vac a try I'm not really considering a diaphragm pump as I was looking to play with some sort of piston pump or vane setup. I have a gravity setup about 300 taps, thinking about just buying a hobby released and building some sort of vac. setup as I am pretty handy.Should I be looking at these diaphragm pumps? Or concentrate on something else? I have read countless threads on vacuum, I'm just looking to get the most out of the bush.

maple flats
02-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Far more use Vane or Piston pumps than diaphragm pumps. If you can get a releaser you're better off.

blac
02-11-2014, 03:09 PM
That's kind of where I'm at..anybody out there with something they would part with?

BreezyHill
02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
There is one other factor that you need to figure before I can send you down the right path. $$$. There are diaphragm setups that will pull a descent level of vac and will not require a releaser. On the other hand if you are looking at a releaser and vac pump, more $$. Then you have the top of the line which would be an electric releaser and a vacuum pump that will run 27-28" plus.
Vane pumps will get the vac up to desire level quickest and have the ability to over come a small leak better. They also will bring a releaser back to vacuum level faster than a piston pump due to their ability to evacuate large amounts of air.
Electric releasers do not consume cfms as do mechanical releasers as they do not have to drop to zero vacuum to empty as does a mechanical releaser, and then have to be brought back to vacuum. Electric releasers have a pump to evacuate the sap while the releaser is still under vacuum.
By keeping the vacuum constant you will decrease the chance of sap rushing back in the mains when the releaser cycles and increase production.

To get the most out of the bush will take a bit of capital, knowledge and some work. The rewards are simply more, much more sap from your bush.

There is a bit of a learning curve with vacuum; but by reading the threads you have, you have likely learned from others mistakes and will be ahead of the curve.

When you are not sure just ask.

Good Luck!

Ben

BAP
02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
That's kind of where I'm at..anybody out there with something they would part with?
Somebody on Vermont Craigslist has a DeLaval 76 vacuum pump for sale today. One thing to consider is the amount you are going to have to tap on tubing. I see you have 300 taps on tubing. That is borderline to justify setting up a vacuum pump and releaser. A diaphragm pump would be a much better fit for that amount as the cost will be substantially less. If you have the ability to add more than that would change things.

maple2
02-11-2014, 06:52 PM
the CDL diaphragm pump sounds like the cheapest and easiest way to get vacume to your bush. Your payback should be less than 1 season. If your woods have never been on vacume before, be prepared to chase down some leaks

BreezyHill
02-12-2014, 07:12 AM
CDL D pump is a good unit but you will need to watch for ice that can damage the diaphragm. We had a sap sucker that was great but didn't handle ice will at all. After two slushy evenings you had to change the tube or it would split the next day. Simple intake screen will protect the pump from ice and chips.

Ben