PDA

View Full Version : fire brick design under flue pan

madmapler
02-10-2014, 07:29 AM
I bought some used pans for my 2.5x10 from a guy up in Canada and he told me to slope up from the fire box to within an inch of the raised flues and then at about a foot from there, to drop it down to create a sort of cavity for the flame to "roll" into and then back up to an inch from the flue pan the rest of the way to the stack. He said it worked real well for him and that he got a real good boil throughout the entire flue pan. Has anyone heard of this or actually done it themselves? Thanks for any input.

treehugger
02-11-2014, 04:20 PM
I have some experience with a raised flue pan. I had the best results by the following: 1-from the back of the firebox ramp up to within 1" to 1/2" of the flues but only to the first 1/3 of the flue pan. 2- From there keep it close to the flues you can build it up by using vermiculite, sand, brick or cement in any comibnation. 3- Then at the very rear I believe the space should be 1-1.5 times the of the base collar at the very end. My old set up had around 7-8" space under the back of the flue pan for the as the exhaust chamber. I will try to find some old pics of this as I am sure my description is not completely clear. Bottom line you will have to play around and fine tune this.

madmapler
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
If you find some pics that would be great. I think I get what you're saying but I'm not sure about the 1 to 1.5 of the base collar. Thanks.

treehugger
02-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Check this link out (coldspringsugaring.com). This should help some. I reconfigured around 3-4 times. Good luck.

Jmsmithy
02-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Check this link out (coldspringsugaring.com). This should help some. I reconfigured around 3-4 times. Good luck.

Hiya Hugger

I was on your site and have a question. I see how/where you routed your stack pipe. What did you use, single, double wall etc etc? Sorry if I hijacked the thread. You could PM me if that better...:lol:

madmapler
02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
I see how you did it. I did something similar to mine today. So much to get done. Thanks for getting back. BTW. Nice website.

treehugger
02-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Hiya Hugger

I was on your site and have a question. I see how/where you routed your stack pipe. What did you use, single, double wall etc etc? Sorry if I hijacked the thread. You could PM me if that better...:lol:

I'm glad the site helped you. It's not my web site but saw it had good pictures to help you.