PDA

View Full Version : Welding my oil tank evap

bigjohnsons
02-09-2014, 08:05 PM
I am new to welding, this is my first project and today I cut the top off of the tank and cleaned out the sludge/oil. I wiped the inside down with rags etc.
Question: Is it ok to start welding the tank or should I take it outside and burn it out before I weld.

I was planning on burning it out but than I ended up going a little crazy wiping it down with rags and I was hoping to start the welding tomorrow night after work.

Thank you for any advise.

TonyL
02-09-2014, 08:26 PM
You're going to want to burn it out sooner or later, and if it were me I would burn it now, before any further fabrication takes place. Right now it's just a big open topped tank....doesn't get much easier than that.

Machinist67
02-09-2014, 08:36 PM
I would agree to burn it now so you do not have problems with perocity in the welds.

WESTMAPLES
02-09-2014, 11:50 PM
I built a few thing out of 275 gal oil tanks. I did scoop the sludge out and I would cut up 1 or 2 pallets and burn it hot for a few if you get it too hot for a long period it will warp bad , wavy most of the time good luck oil tanks make good small inexpensive arch

optionguru
02-10-2014, 09:21 AM
I burned mine out before doing much to it. The only thing I would do is weld in a cross brace of angle iron before burning it out. When I cut the top of mine the sides bowed out a couple of inches. I think this would be even worse when you get it hot.

woolermaple
02-10-2014, 06:52 PM
I just started building a 9 foot arch out of an oil tank today, I cut it in half and burned out the sludge and oil with no issues and warping. got hot enough to burn the paint off the outside of it.
-I will post pictures on this site when I am done i got a lot of info off this site looking at old threads, was a lot of help.

CincySyrupPusher
02-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Good luck on the build! Hope you get it done before the sweet starts flowing hard.

About to tap here in SW ohio!

bigjohnsons
02-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Well my tank/arch is coming along nicely, alot more time consuming than I thought, but alot fun. This is my first time welding and I am learning on the job. Where the angle iron meets the top of the tank, I am having problems welding it up to be airtight.
Question, is the anything that I can use to seal up the tank to make it airtight, like a mastic or something? I am running out of time and the weather is supposed to break at the end of this week and the sap will be flowing.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

lpakiz
02-18-2014, 07:30 AM
There is a compound, like putty, that is called furnace cement. It comes in a can or a tube for your caulking gun. Made just for this purpose. Hardware store, big box farm store.

optionguru
02-18-2014, 10:01 AM
I'll second the furnace cement. Mine came in a pint size tub. I welded about 1/2 the length of all my seems and then filled the rest with the cement. Worked great.

Wood burn
02-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Are you welding with a mig? If so you need to weld that joint virtual down and you shouldn't have any problems set the machine to about twenty volts good luck .