PDA

View Full Version : Making roads in the bush

PACMAN
02-09-2014, 05:57 PM
We started yesterday clearing the snow off the road to the sugar bush. Finished today with my new toy,a Kubota L 3200. I love that thing.This year I have a nice road going up to the sugar house. No more getting stuck this year. Its a mile of road but I was having fun doing it. How does eveyone else deal with the white stuff?

sugarman3
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Spent 3 hrs yesterday doing the same thing,only I was using my 1948 ford 8n tractor and a 6' backblade,love that tractor

TRAILGUY
02-09-2014, 06:17 PM
I like pacing the snow . much less mud if road stays snow cover. plus love having the dog sledder here on maple weekend

jmayerl
02-09-2014, 06:50 PM
After plowing the roads all winter for the first few years, last year I couldn't get in to the back half of the woods since the snow was just too deep. Took a snowmobile and packed down the trails. Never had a bit if mud in that whole section. That's all I'm doing from here on out.

Sweet Shady Lane
02-09-2014, 07:06 PM
8 hp. snow blower to open the 1/2 mile path to the woods, from there the atv doe's the rest of the work

BoarsNest
02-09-2014, 07:26 PM
JD4720 with a JD snowblower. My Cabin is 1/2 mile down a "seasonal" road and my trees are all over my deer hunting woods so I needed something to get after it.

Bentley Wood Maple
02-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Best yr in our woods was when got to deep to plow early in the year. The rest of the winter we kept the trails open with snowmobiles and wheeler traffic. Was just like an 8 ft wide highway through the woods, maybe a ft thick hard pack snow and ice. And much smoother than our usual billy goat paths.

BreezyHill
02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
If you have a snowmobile the latest thing in snow packing for trails is a section of plastic culvert pipe. Turn it into a roller and draw it with the sled. The ridges in the pack catch blowing snow. Behind this a flat section of steel can be added at a 45 degree angle to smooth the trail if needed. A straight up section of rod can be added to add weights if needed to pack fluffy snow. They pull easy and some clubs use an atv to pull them. Sleds can pull units as wide as 8' with ease. A person could handle a 2' roller on snow shoes.

Ben

ToadHill
02-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Ben, Any chance you could post some pictures of one of these setups?

BreezyHill
02-10-2014, 12:49 PM

These are to catch snow. If you are looking to just roll a trail try a metal pipe and it will not have the ridges that catch the snow and could be hard to walk on.