PDA

View Full Version : Leader Float box question

tcfootball61
02-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Hello everyone, I recently inherited a 4'x5' continuous flow syrup pan. With this being only my second season making syrup I don't have the money to buy a arch and all the goodies and was planning on using a block arch set up. The problem is that the two float boxes on each side have two inch openings where I believe they are to hook up to a flue pan. (if I am wrong please correct me) My question is how/ what is the best way to block/ close these openings? I understand this is not the best set up but it will need to work for now. Thanks in advance.

collinsmapleman2012
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Put some plugs in the pan. use stainless or brass, plastic might not take the heat so well. maybe one of them should be a valve to draw off with, unless you have ports on the other side of the pan.

tcfootball61
02-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Any idea where I can get the plugs that is what I thought but can find any in all the looming I have been doing? Thanks

collinsmapleman2012
02-09-2014, 06:37 PM
you can try your local maple dealer, and see if they can offer some help from there. are they threaded or non threaded ports? threaded plugs can be found at any plumbing supply, or maybe order online for cheap. if its the plug ports like on some pans, you might have to order something from a maple dealer, or have someone weld you up a plug or something along those lines.

tcfootball61
02-09-2014, 06:52 PM
They are threaded ports. I tried to get some caps at a local store but the threads did not match or it would of been a simple solution. Does anyone know if the threads on stainless are different then other metals?

Machinist67
02-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Nationa pipe thread is tapered to 3/4 inch per ft and it does not matter if it is Stainless, copper, galv, or black iron it is all the same. Now there is a British pipe thread that the angle of the thread is slightly different. I would call Leader and ask them what the thread is suppose to be.