PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Transfer Pump

syrup2nv
02-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Bit the bullet and bought a Gould 2ST 2HP 230/volt. All 316 Stainless steel housing and a SS Impeller (Food Grade). Going to be used as a transfer pump (Trucks to holding tanks at sugarhouse) Replacing a gas powered pump. I'm also putting a large cartridge filter in-line before entering my volume meter. Its takes a 20" x 6" filter. Thinking I will start with a 50 micron, and go from there (RO has a 10micron). Instead of guessing when the filter needs to be changed, I'm going to install a pressure gauge just before the filter. Then all I need to do is take a pressure reading when the filter is new and that will be my baseline. As the filter plugs the pressure should rise letting me know when it's time to change.

My target flow is 100gpm. That is what my gas powered does through the flow meter without the cartridge filter, using a long bag filter on the discharge end into tank. I gave my supplier all the lengths and dimensions of my piping set-up and also TDH. They said the 2HP 2ST is what I would need.

I think it will be a good $700 investment.
- Ease of use
- No more gas or gas can
- No exhaust fumes
- More streamline look and operation

Now, lets hope it arrives soon.

Anybody running something similar?

markct
02-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Just curious what your going to pump with from the woods tanks? run it off a genset or just use a different pump for that? seems like a lot of money to spend if your only gona use it to offload the sap?

syrup2nv
02-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Just curious what your going to pump with from the woods tanks? run it off a genset or just use a different pump for that? seems like a lot of money to spend if your only gona use it to offload the sap?

I have a dedicated gas powered transfer pump on the truck. As for only using it only for offloading, last year I processed 120,000gal of sap. All sap arrives via trucks. I want something reliable.

If this set-up works, I plan on building a second dumping set-up. That way I can unload 2 truck at once. This year I will have some trucks delivering 1000+ gallons, and some trucks with 3-500 gallons. Last year on big runs I had 7-8 trucks backed up, more than once. That way the little trucks could dump and go, while the tankers are dumping also. Might work??

markct
02-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Good plan! at that scale a dedicated offloading pump is well worth it, and I sure wouldn't want to listen to a gas powered pump screaming for the hours that it would be moving that much sap!