PDA

View Full Version : Victor NY

backyardsugarer
02-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Accuweather forecast looks good for Presidents week. I will replace the rest of my drops tomorrow and the start washing tanks, changing oil etc. Looking to tap next Saturday and Sunday (15th and 16th). I'll watch the long range forecast this week and adjust as needed. Either way it won't be long now, days are getting longer.

Chris

sapman
02-08-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm starting this week. Almost done replacing cv's, and straightening some laterals for now. Takes us 4-5 days, along with trying to work at least part time.

doocat
02-08-2014, 06:51 PM
The 8 hour a day inconvienence (work) really gets in the way doesn't it! That is why I invested in headlamps alot or stuff gets done after dark.

Craig

grumpy
02-08-2014, 07:30 PM
its gonna take awhile to get the woods warmed up, a few 36 degree days wont do it. I think theres still some winter to come

BreezyHill
02-09-2014, 07:08 AM
The sun has a good punch to it now. We will be tapping on the weekend if not before.
The snow in the bush is harder to work in but sure does cool things off faster at night. Below zero again last night.

Check out this link for weather data. I found this interesting as you can see the average and record data along with forecast data.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/albany-ny/12207/february-weather/329673

backyardsugarer
02-16-2014, 08:00 AM
All the tubing is off the ground in the woods and half of the tanks are washed and out. I need the water to thaw before I can wash the rest, I am tired of carrying 5 gallon buckets of hot water from the kitchen sink. Changing oil in everything today in the garage where I can have the heat on. I will look to start tapping Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday unless they change the darn forecast again. They keep delaying and tempering the warm up. Good luck to everyone trying to get ready in this freezing cold weather.

Chris

grimmreaper
02-16-2014, 08:41 PM
getting the itch to drill a tree,but the forcast keeps getting cooler than expected(still above freezing ,it must take a couple days to thaw these trees out... .....never ready,but don't want to miss out on the first run..

seclark
02-17-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm getting a little itchy myself but will wait until I see how this week goes.Maybe some snow will settle down some and make for easier travel in the woods for me.At 74 I don't have the get up and go I once had but will still make syrup but it may be a later start than usual for me.

backyardsugarer
02-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Got in about 500 today. Started when it was 1 degree outside but sunny. Believe it or not about 10 trees were running hard that were facing the sun at the end of the day. Weird since the high was only 26. I will finish tapping tomorrow and rinse all my tanks. Then the trees can let loose.

Chris

backyardsugarer
02-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Made 22 gallons of light amber. Had about everything go wrong that could. Primary problem was my releaser not working on a regular basis so I get rid of it and bought a new one. Drained the pans tonight so they don't freeze. Looks like at least 10 days until we see 40 again so time to get rested up for the long nights.

Chris