PDA

View Full Version : Blower for 2/4 evaporator

Bryan Molnar
02-07-2014, 10:15 PM
I have a 2 foot by 4 foot homemade evaporator out of a 275 gallon oil tank. We get about a boil rate of about 15 gallons of sap an hour. I would like to add a blower to increase capacity any thoughts? I am new to this site thanks

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2

RileySugarbush
02-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Under fire air is a great way to increase your burn rate and therefore boil rate. Just dict into the volume under the grate and add a blower, say a 200 or more cfm squirrel cage type. It doesn't need to be high pressure for this use so a little 1/6 HP blower will work fine. If you don't want full volume, rig a little damper plate over the blower inlet.

This will increase your wood consumption along with your boil rate, but is a great first step.

wiam
02-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Used oil burners are a good source for small squirrel cage blowers. Just pull the oil pump off.

eustis22
02-08-2014, 07:39 AM
I could use some ideas on attaching my blower to my stove. From the back into an AUF pipe? From the front directly under the grate? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

RileySugarbush
02-08-2014, 09:06 AM
From the back is best because it is out of the way. Cut a hole in the sheet metal below the grate sized to match your blower output. Jam blower in. If you want to move it further away to keep the blower cooler, get some aluminum flex duct and clamp to blower and either jam it in a hole in the arch (crude) or make a little tube to clamp it around ( more elegant) both will work fine.

lpakiz
02-08-2014, 09:32 AM
On my first arch, I used a piece of old 2 inch? exhaust tailpipe. It had a 90 degree elbow, which put the blower off to the side, away from right under the door. Wheel was 4 inch diameter by 1 1/2 wide. Way more than enough, had to keep the inlet baffled down with an adjustable swiveling plate over the inlet. Shot the air in just under the main door, right at the pile of coals. Will make your fire rumble....

RileySugarbush
02-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Remember it's best to blow up through the grate. If you blow in the door and at the coals, it's possible to melt the grate!