PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Digital thermometer

butler
02-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Looking for a good handheld digital thermometer that's somewhat affordable....what do you guys recommend?

BreezyHill
02-07-2014, 07:32 AM
I use one from Home depot...cost 20% of the snap on one and is the same unit. Depends on what you are going to do with it. Mine does not work well in high humidity air...that is if you want a consistent reading. I like it to check bearings and temp on oil lines and parts of vacuum pumps when testing after a rebuild. It will be used for a few experiments with the 4-H club and in the feed mill to check bearing and when testing new grease.
Great tool to have just know its limitations.

Ben

Errin OH
02-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I did a little research on the under $20 hand held temperature probes and found most only offer +/ - 3 to 5 degrees accuracy. Ended up getting an Akins digital hand held immersion thermometer off eBay for $32 with shipping. Accuracy is 1 degree F (.5 C). Tested in boiling water and it read exactly 212 degrees. So now I have two. An Omega for finishing (110v 0.25 F accuracy) and the Akins for the evap.

KGodshall
02-07-2014, 07:55 AM
I've been using the Taylor 1470 with probe. I use it for syrup and for cooking meat (oven and grill).

Only drawback is that if the probe wire gets too hot for too long, it won't read accurately. (excessive heat= inside of a BBQ grill) There is a wire braided probe that is supposed to be better (it costs as much as a brand new probe/thermometer though), but I haven't tried it. I just buy another whole unit.

Mine came with a clip that hooks on the side of a pan, and you can adjust how deep it reads (keep it off the bottom, but in the liquid).

As with any other probe, it needs to be tested in boiling water and in ice water to make sure it is calibrated correctly. My Taylor's have been the most accurate of any I have tried though.

happy thoughts
02-07-2014, 08:05 AM
The most accurate are the thermocouple type that can read accurately in a second or less. These often look like a pen with a very fine metal probe. These tend to be expensive but are the ones most used in the food industry. If you're using a hydrometer you only need ballpark temps. I use and like my taylor thermosistor type with a long cable that can be used in an oven. Thermosistors are also pretty accurate but take a little more time to read than thermocouples. These can be bought at most kitchen departments for around $20-30. I bought mine at Target and is similar to this one: http://www.target.com/p/gourmet-stainless-steel-thermometer-with-probe/-/A-11011171#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=digital+thermometer An added feature is that a temp can be set and an alarm will sound when that temp is reached.

The cable helps keep the display readable because I also had problems with humidity as breezy hill mentioned when I used a digital stick type.

butler
02-07-2014, 08:17 AM
I actually don't mind spending a bit...like $100 to get decent thermocouple style...but most of the ones in the maple catalogs are $250 and up...like to stay under $100 if I could....

happy thoughts
02-07-2014, 08:31 AM
I actually don't mind spending a bit...like $100 to get decent thermocouple style...but most of the ones in the maple catalogs are $250 and up...like to stay under $100 if I could....

I can't vouch for this one but it's in the $75 range. The unit and the probe are sold separately

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

Groves
02-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Thermapens are very fast, very accurate.

Right now there's an "open box" sale, so you can get one for $75, where they are normally $100ish.

Here's the link.
http://thermoworks.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=03e83655dce66cb24c996a012&id=8033a273ac&e=2b4a7bb3fb

http://pressbox.co.uk/images/logos/332393_New%20Image.JPG

happy thoughts
02-07-2014, 08:38 AM
I did a little research on the under $20 hand held temperature probes and found most only offer +/ - 3 to 5 degrees accuracy. Ended up getting an Akins digital hand held immersion thermometer off eBay for $32 with shipping. Accuracy is 1 degree F (.5 C). Tested in boiling water and it read exactly 212 degrees. So now I have two. An Omega for finishing (110v 0.25 F accuracy) and the Akins for the evap.

Just be aware that boiling point is dependent on altitude and barometric pressure and so varies considerably because of place and local conditions. It would be rare to have boiling point at exactly 212*F on any given day or place unless conditions were perfect. For true accuracy, it's important to test the boiling point of water each day at the time you'll be using the thermometer,

butler
02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah definitely....just want to know when I am close...I always finish with hydrometer. I actually ordered a probe holder from leader ...now just need a good handheld with a 12" probe.....

Pibster
02-07-2014, 11:44 AM
I can't vouch for this one but it's in the $75 range. The unit and the probe are sold separately

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html
These are excellent units. I've had mine for over 5 years, even survived a swim in boiling maple syrup. It will give you an instant reading.

butler
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
That thing is awesome...just what I am looking for and a great price...does it have back light and can you get longer probe like 12" ?

happy thoughts
02-07-2014, 12:28 PM
That thing is awesome...just what I am looking for and a great price...does it have back light and can you get longer probe like 12" ?

I'm not sure which thermocouple you mean, the one I posted or the other one posted by groves which also looks like a good unit. If you mean mine, then look thru the probes that are available. There's a link on the page I sent you to. Look on the right for "Additional probes. More info" There are a wide variety of probes available with cables 6 feet longer or more. As long as you can immerse the probe tip into the syrup the length of the probe itself may not be so important and a longer cable may be all you need, Many of the cables are high heat proof up to temps above 2000*F. Not sure exactly how you're going to use this. If thru an evaporator thermometer port you're probably going to want a cable that's rated for higher temps.

I can't tell if this particular unit is backlit and it doesn't look to be from the user manual that can be downloaded for it. There may be another backlit unit if you look around that site. I've never bought from them but know that Thermoworks is a well known and reliable brand.

butler
02-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the fantastic info guys...tips led me to the thermoworks site where I found this digital thermometer....hopefully it works good.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html

$69+28
You get dual temps,alarms, 6' cable etc

happy thoughts
02-07-2014, 05:24 PM
That looks like a really nice unit. If you get a second probe you can test your syrup and make sure your boiling soda stays cold :).

Let us know how you like it. Good luck and happy boiling this year!

butler
02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Forgot yo ask today....but I was also looking at the maverick et wireless digital thermometer...looks pretty cool...anyone ever try one for syrup?

happy thoughts
02-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Funny you asked. I've not used it but just read a review of something similar today from a source I trust. I've posted this link here at sugaring time the last couple of years just for the info it has about the different types of thermometers. I think it's well worth reading though very long.

The site is geared toward grilling and BBQ but the info still holds. They've updated this page since the last time I visited and have rated several thermometer models. There are a couple of maverick models that are highly rated. Take a look and see if the unit you mean is one of them. It is somewhere on the right hand side.

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html

Hope that helps

butler
02-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Yes...that the one Maverick ET-732. Remote digital thermometer....looks like it would work awesome for syrup. You could be bottling while watching evap temps!!

eustis22
02-12-2014, 07:03 AM
I purchased a digitial thermometer with an NPT fitting so I can run it into my pan rather than figure out some way to clip it on. However, the NPT fitting has two -o-rings that they advise using VASELINE to act as a sealing agent. I'm thinking that would go right into the pan. Should I use olive/veggie oil instead and do a pre-boil with water to cleanse the probe before I start boiling sap? I really like the idea of the probe being at the drawoff valve vs clipping it up high somewhere.

happy thoughts
02-12-2014, 07:41 AM
I'd use a bland tasting veg oil or solid shortening like Crisco. Defoamer would work, too. Olive oil isn't bland tasting so I'd avoid using it. JMHO but you probably just need to wipe the outside off well. I don't see why you'd need to do a water pre boil because you're basically just applying what amounts to defoamer. I'd just use the smallest amount you can and just go with it.

BreezyHill
02-12-2014, 08:18 AM
the Vaseline as a sealer, is to have a product with a fairly high temp that it turns to liquid, will maintain the oring seal better. veg oil/ olive oil, etc would be a very bad choice as these are allergens to a growing percent of the population. I have a daughter figure that has been battling an illness for the last few years when she eats. her college lax coach told her to get test for allergies and she found see is allergic to many of the foods she loves. One being soy and soy products. it is amazing how many things soy or a soy product are in. Many veg oils are blends and have soy oil. If you fail to list the product on your label you are in violation of FDA regs, and can not use the Pure Maple Syrup containers.

I would put a tiny amount of Vaseline on the outer most oring leaving the one next to the product clean but put a drop of water on so that the ring is lubricated as it is put into service. A dry ring can roll over or pinch, while a wet ring will slide into position and seal. don't use sap or syrup as the sugars will crystalize and break the seal.

Remember we are making a gourmet product and we need to uphold gourmet standards.

Ben