PDA

View Full Version : Syrup 2014 at the ohio river

Edward Howell
02-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Evening Gents ,

Finally got the tapps in , had a back problem and could not get started in january . The -20 deg and then this wet slippery snow made the job ruff . :( The mule and the 25 horse kubota got stuck so we saddled up the 55 horse to get the tapps in .
Now artic cold no runs until 2/13 looks like at this time . But on the bright side this gives me a chance to install the new lappieer releaser :)
Are we going to stay below normal for march or go blazing hot ? Place your betts ladies and gentlemen :)
Good luck all .....

Tom_saw
02-06-2014, 07:15 PM
The forecast west of you is still calling for below freezing thru next Thursday .

220 maple
02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Ed,
I boiled Thursday, had a pretty good 8 hour run on Wednesday, as long as everything is froze tight I'll keep on tapping, hopefully I can get to some trees I missed the last couple seasons.
Mark 220 Maple

Edward Howell
02-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Mark ,
Wow , we have not see 32 deg since feb 1 , and you had a run feb 8 ? 2/13 looks iffy because of 8 deg for tuesday night .
We got about 3 inches new snow today , when this breaks the trees should run well :) Lots of moisture and the ground is muddy under the snow .

Got the new releasers setup , had to redo the whole pump house but it worked out rather nice . looks like the system will hold 18 inches , the old bender releasers were leaking a lot of vacuum but we only paid 100.00 so I would be remiss if i complained to loudly :)
They will make a nice start up system for someone to get going on a tight budget .

Mark , Was the syrup light ?

ED

Edward Howell
02-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Finally got to 34 yesteday so I was able to test out the lapierre releaser , the spray pattern is much wider and I moved the unit further over the stainless tank and installed a piece of plexiglass to prevent he sap from flowing backward between the two tanks .
This morning went down to make a final change on the float valve which controls the pump from the sap house to the holding tank ,I removed the cam lock hose and way straddling the pump and fired the swich by mistake and got 80 psi of sap shot right on my private :( So hard to find good help .....
Looks like we finally will have something to boil this coming week .
Looks like Mark 220 got about a foot of new snow thursday ....

Rockport
02-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Well , I got 45 taps in on Thursday hoping for some sap temps,just a few of the smaller trees ran and only about 10 gallon in the tank .. hope Monday "Presidents Day brings good news ! Boil away ,,,!

Rockport
02-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Pretty slow start,only 25 gallon on 45 taps had two different runs ! I wonder if the subzero temps we have had has the trees still sleeping ? Anyone else seeing the same thing ?

Edward Howell
03-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Been awhile since I could post , a lot of nice syrup this but the peepers are talking , we are about finished. We had a 70 degree the 14thy and that really made the syrup go dk , but still no bud or woody , we go until it gets nasty :) I tapped a month later that last year but we still a few gallon s ahead :)

The new releaser works great , and the sap runs hard so it clears the system well after those hot days .
This woods is still low sugar about 1% so we process a lot to make a gallon of syrup . Very grateful for the RO
going to set some tapps on the other woods which is all hard maple for this next season , I am curious if it is this woods or the area which is the cause of the 1% sap . will post as to the results
i think we made med not b to start , my grade kit is kaput I think , looked off to me so I sent some piks to Mark 220 and he said yep , that is not b grade :)At worst dk maybe even med. Hard to tell with the I phone pik
Later Folks :)

Rockport
03-19-2014, 06:38 PM
I think its over here too ! The silver in the back yard has big buds.Boiled 120 gallon last night and the sweet I drained off didnt smell quite as good ,tastes good and is dark . Lost track of how many gallons of sap but will finish with maybe 75 pints bottled with 50 taps. I am leaving taps in but the sap is cloudy,drained tank will see this next few days .
2013 season 10 taps ,turkey fryer 3 gal syrup
2014 season 51 taps with a flat pan 2x4 , 7 gal syrup Sad Year !

Edward Howell
03-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Nice to visit with you Friday Rockport :) , you have a nice opp going at your place , Sugar foot ..... you will never lose that handle ya know :(

OK , looks like one last freeze , we see if the tapps have any life after this hot streak . So far been a gooood year , lots of excellent table syrup which the customers loooovvveeee

Good Luck all

Rockport
03-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks Ed, I enjoyed the visit and very much appreciate all the info, you have a nice setup I can only dream of ! I may get there in 10 yrs !!. And I am already looking at the rest of the place to setup more lines and move the sap tank. Boiled friday and finished sat . I checked today and a about 5gl I guess as long as the sap is not bad I will go with it,though this last batch is dark and strong had the wife sample and she thought it was good,maybe I am getting picky but I almost tossed it due to the smell and strong taste. cya

Edward Howell
04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Mark Bowers requested your phone to contact you , I sent him the info last nite.

In the flat lands here we seem to be ableto make syrup which is dark but still great flavor right to the end of the season .

hope to see you at the association meeting 5/3/2014 at Weston :)

Edward Howell
04-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Every one welcome !

MAPLE PRODUCERS MEETING
SATURDAY, MAY 3
Weston Regional Field Office (WVDA)

12 noon Covered Dish lunch for those who
Wish to bring a dish and share*
1:00 pm Meeting begins
Short presentation by WVDA on grant opportunities
for organizing a Maple Producers Association
1:30 pm Business portion of meeting
Conducted by: Mark Bowers
3:30 pm Meeting adjourned

• Microwave available to reheat dishes; paper products and bottled water will be provided
Meeting location is approximately 3- 4 miles from Exit 99 off I-79. Follow Rt. 33 toward Weston. Building is located on the RIGHT and is in the same building as Appalachian Glass and Farmers’ Market. Call 304.421.3932 (Jean Smith) if you need further directions