PDA

View Full Version : Off season membrane storage

red maples
02-06-2014, 07:58 AM
So I know the season hasn't even started for many but being new to RO's I was wondering about off season cleaning and storage.

1. Is it necessary to send out the membranes to get professionally cleaned?

2. For storage what is the proper way to store them? I have had some say you should ALWAYS store them in solution and some say you can keep them dry? What's the best way.

mellondome
02-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Once a membrane it wet, you should keep it wet. Sending out for cleaning is a personal preference.. I would keep track of flow rates from new and then you will know the status of the membrane. If after your best effort to clean them still leaves them too far below new rates, then maybe send them out.

Store them in a storage solution where they won't freeze. Can be either in the RO or a seperate container.

Russell Lampron
02-06-2014, 04:04 PM
I clean mine by doing 3 soap washes and sometimes an acid wash too. When I store it I put the membrane in a storage tube and fill the tube with permeate. I have never sent one out to be professionally cleaned. The cost of a new 4" membrane is low enough that after 2 or 3 seasons it cost more for cleaning that it does for a new membrane. I usually get 4 or more seasons out of a membrane before I need to replace it.

SDdave
02-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Once a membrane it wet, you should keep it wet. ...Store them in a storage solution where they won't freeze. Can be either in the RO or a seperate container.

I think I got it. But please tell me otherwise. Use RO during season, after season do all required cleaning of membranes etc. etc., then store in solution so they won't freeze or dry out? Can you put them in a sealed 5 gallon bucket (small homemade RO) full of permeate and be OK?

SDdave

Russell Lampron
02-06-2014, 06:12 PM
I think I got it. But please tell me otherwise. Use RO during season, after season do all required cleaning of membranes etc. etc., then store in solution so they won't freeze or dry out? Can you put them in a sealed 5 gallon bucket (small homemade RO) full of permeate and be OK?

SDdave

It looks like you've got it figured out. Storing the membranes in a sealed bucket should work.

maple flats
02-07-2014, 07:14 AM
I made pvc tubes to store mine, I have 2 sets of membranes, my original in the RO, never been taken out, and a new unused set "just in case" they are needed. When I need to swap them, I'll likely send the old out for cleaning, but so far I've cleaned them myself as per operators manual.

TunbridgeDave
02-07-2014, 07:26 AM
No one is mentioning the preservative. I always add that to the permeate and store them right in the vessels. I take the vessels out, plug the holes and store them in the cellar, that way I know they wont freeze.

maple flats
02-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Yes, I should have mentioned that. There is a preservative that is mixed into the permeate for long term storage.

tyrod2
02-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Last year when i put the membrane in the ro it was dry and new out of the package. I put it in the stainless steel vessel on the kitchen counter. This year it out of a storage container and it is wet with chemical. How do i put it in the vessel without making a mess? Or do i just deal with it. Thank you

mountainvan
02-07-2014, 01:45 PM
The liquid will drain pretty well out of the membrane and really should not make much of a mess. Just don't do it in your nice kitchen.

red maples
02-08-2014, 06:59 AM
OK got the right info. Yes I will be making some PVC tubes for storage. and yes the preservative needs to be mixed in. the sulfer stuff. Sorry don't remember the full name.

brookledge
02-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Another thing with the preservative some are starting to recommend late summer or early fall dump out the preservative and mix 5 gallons fresh I have not done this but might have something to do with the temps that the membrane are exposed to in the summer. Which would make sense, the hotter it gets the more likely bacteria growth can take place.