PDA

View Full Version : First boil for us 2/1/14

dje5717
02-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Finally got the trees tapped and had our first boil this past weekend. My partner was pretty busy building a house for his daughter and SIL.
but now that is set we are running 220 taps on buckets and waiting on the weather to cooperate. After last nights rain and 37 degrees we
have full bucket for our run this afternoon.

Dave E.

Run Forest Run!
02-05-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm so jealous. Send some of that warm Kentucky breeze up here!

Sugar
02-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Well...We miscalculated today. We went and gathered sap yesterday evening. Trees were barely running and we only had 8 gallons out of 58 taps. We dumped any ice and went home. Looking at the short and long term weather, we figured we wouldn't gather again, until next week.

This afternoon my friend texted. She said her husband had seen our sap bags, and they needed emptying. My kids looked at me in disbelief! It was 27 degrees, for pity sakes.

We bolted to the woods, barely dressed for the weather and stood there in shock! We gathered 80 gallons of sap, and that was what was left after we dumped huge amounts of ice out of the sap bags...

I told my children, if we get to those trees and those bags really are full of sap...Then God must have poured it in them, Himself. Thank you Lord for maple trees!

And for all the people that are shocked we can tap trees in Kentucky...You gotta see it, to believe it!

treeguy
02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Cold has been bad...but i agree the other day i saw the bags filled on some trees and thought it was too cold out. I hope the weather turns for the good and gives us some good runs. Ice in the bags is a nightmare..

treeguy
02-15-2014, 09:47 PM
How you guys do?

We collected about 120 or more gallons of sap and cooked last two days. I think there will be a run starting midday tomorrow :-)

Mud is going to get BAD. We need some dry sunny days soo bad.