PDA

View Full Version : Application for Home Food Processing

jared 015
02-04-2014, 09:07 AM
I am new to selling maple syrup and was trying to sell some this year. I found everything I need.(I think). When I discovered the Home food processing I was shocked to see it takes 60 days to get approved. I guess I have a simple question. Am I Screwed for selling it this year.

happy thoughts
02-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Since that would be regulated by state it might help if we knew what state you live in. Someone who lives in that state and has gone through the process would be better able to answer your question.

jared 015
02-04-2014, 09:26 AM
I am from PA Region 1 thanks for the quick response!!!!

happy thoughts
02-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Well I won't be very helpful since I don't sell my syrup and just make it for home use though I've looked into the PA law before. My outdoor set up wouldn't make the grade for retail sales. But that said, I'm not sure you even need home processing clearance unless you intend to make the syrup in your home kitchen or finish it off there. If you have a sugar house, I believe you need to follow the guidelines for maple syrup production, pay a registration fee and pass inspection. which may also include the need to submit a water test. That info can be downloaded here:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_24476_10297_0_43/http%3B/10.41.0.77/AgWebsite/PublicationDetail.aspx?name=Maple-Syrup-Operations-Guidance&navid=11&parentnavid=0&pubid=329&

Hopefully, a commercial producer from PA can guide you better. You should post this in the PA section of the forum where it will get the attention of commercial operators in PA who have gone through the process and can give you a better idea of the time frame. You might also want to call the person at the AG office that handles this for your region.

325abn
02-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Just make sure you do not have not one single orange bucket on your property. ..................:)

bix
02-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Hello it is simple to get licensed. First you need to contact the Dept of Agriculture. They will send an inspector out to meet with you. They will make out the paperwork right then and there. You will need a water sample. There is a difference between making syrup and food processing. It is a difference license. Each year they will send you a new application. If you have any questions, just pm me. Thanks!