PDA

View Full Version : Lapierre super saddles

Maplewalnut
02-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Earlier this winter I replaced a few Lapierre old style fixed head saddles (the ones with the two straps) that had been chewed with the smaller 'super saddles' with the lobster type claws as clamps. First time using the super saddles. This weekend when I tapped I noticed two laterals that were backed up with sap from the saddle. Keep in mind vacuum was on and there was no leak at the saddle. I finally took the super saddle off the mainline and found that when I had installed it the saddle drop did not line up perfectly with the gasket hole and in fact had sealed the drop end on the gasket. The saddle tightened and had no vacuum leak. Seems the saddle drop should be a little longer, no? Anyone else have these problems? Maybe I am installing wrong? Not sure I like this style, the gaskets are a pain to get seated in the hole now this. Old style snapped into hole and never had any problems with them

para2
02-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Have had no problem with saddles. Trick to installing gaskets is to wet them first then they slip into the hole easier. Have used these for a2yrs .

GeneralStark
02-04-2014, 11:53 AM
I have been using the Branon saddle and have no issue, but I did notice that in their instructional video on their site (lapierre) they do suggest using some glycerin to lube the gasket before installing it.

tuckermtn
02-05-2014, 06:51 AM
We have had good luck with the super saddles, and we do use food grade grease around the hole on the mainline before we put the gasket on. I always assumed the grease was to help with the seal, but perhaps it is to make the gaskets easier to pop in to the hole.

Bruce L
02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
A little moisture goes a long way, then the gaskets pop right in, I sometimes have a small screwdriver, etc and use the handle in to push down on the gasket and twist slightly to make sure it is completely seated.

maplwrks
02-05-2014, 12:44 PM
I used a bunch of the super saddles last year and found them difficult to seat the gasket. I have since gone to the Branon saddle, MUCH better saddle. The other thing I would suggest when using the super saddles is to put a twist tie around the "lobster claw" type clamps.This will hold the clamps shut.