PDA

View Full Version : Fire Brick is not created equal. Hard vs. Soft. Watch what you buy.

DoubleBrookMaple
02-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I cannot find good specs on any site I have visited yet, and don't recall reading anything on this site.

Last year, my first year, I built a block arch and fire bricked the whole thing (see picture). This year I built a real arch for a 2X4 Hybrid (See picture).
Last year I bought my bricks at a hardware store with a great discount, and spent hours cutting and fitting. This year I bought some half bricks at Bascoms and in my discussion with the sales woman up there, she asked if my bricks were "high intensity". This made me think.
Oh My God! What a difference in ease of cutting! My Bascom bricks cut like butter compared to last years bricks. The hardware store bricks are like rock.
See Picture below, and watch what you buy!

Eric

NhShaun
10-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Better late than never on the reply. The lower density bricks might be easier to cut.. but do the higher density bricks offer better heat retention and insulating properties? I also find it a little weird that they don't list the specs on density of the product.. Isn't that kind of important? haha

How did the Block arch do for you? I thought of fire bricking the inside of mine like this, but was wondering if it was worth the cost/time.