PDA

View Full Version : Mainline drilling tool?

stewardsdairy
02-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Is it worth the cost, or should I just continue with the hand held electric? I have to install a couple of hundred saddles this year and probably at least that many each of the next two years. I will be running high vacuum on these lines.

maplwrks
02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
With that many saddles you better buy one. All it takes is 1 or 2 errant holes and your entire system can be compromised. I've never been sorry for buying mine.

markct
02-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Never used the special tool but never had a problem with a bit with a stop in the drill. The key is a sharp split point bit so it doesnt walk on the pipe

adk1
02-03-2014, 12:17 PM
yeah, a couple hundred holes it might be worth it. If you are running vac and are worried about maybe making an error in your line in hole location. Otherwise, I bought the plunge type hole driller. Very inexpensive. Like $12 I think. works great

morningstarfarm
02-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Either will work and I have used both...biggest difference...drill weighs about 2 lbs...hole tool weighs about 4 oz...I vote for the hole tool...

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
I think the tool is worth the cost. If you have 200 holes to drill for 3 years, that's 600. How much is the tool. $100 +/-? That is less that 20 cents per use. It gives you peace of mind that you are making a perfect hole every time.
Ben

sapman
02-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Bought the tool with the vice grip last week. Did two holes yesterday just to try it. Couldn't be happier. Just wish I'd gotten it 5 years ago!!

maple flats
02-08-2014, 07:05 PM
I use a jig I made from a piece of 2x6. The 2x6 is cut with a ^ cut out on the bottom and a handle on the end. The ^ has a hole thru the center. Then I just hold the jig where I want to make a hole and use a cordless drill. The thickness of the jig top to bottom prevents the bit from going in too far. It is real quick and easy. It took me about 5 minutes to make and each hole only takes 2-3 seconds to drill. Never a bad hole, and with my organization it is easier to find than one of the "official hole drillers" would be. It works on any size tubing with no adjustment.

325abn
02-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Can you post a pic of that jig?

unc23win
02-08-2014, 08:33 PM
I have used a drill with the bit taped with electrical tape for a couple of years it works. This year I bought the tool and I really like it and I its worth it. some have had good luck making one. Like mentioned it is super light, I carry mine in my back pocket then just carry my bucket of saddles.

maple flats
02-09-2014, 05:48 AM
I can, but it will be a few days. The jig is at my bigger bush, in my jet sled and I won't be up there for 3 or 4 days again, maybe even not until next Sat. I'll draw a simple sketch if you want, and I could email it to you.

maplesyrupstove
02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
86838684 Without the jig my holes are not good. With the jig the holes are good and you can't go through the bottom of the pipe , which I have done. The two saw cuts are for the wire to go in so you don't drill through the main line wire. Works great for me. Darrell