PDA

View Full Version : 1" Mainline

highway
02-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I am looking to run about 500' of 1" mainline as a pump line from the sugar bush to the road. Approximately 250' up a slight grade then 250' to the road slight downhill. My thought is the pump side would drain back to the holding tank when I shut the pump off then I could carry that amount out in a bucket. The road side could drain towards the road into the truck tank.

Does anyone know the gallons per foot for 1" black plastic?

Ed

MN Jake
02-03-2014, 08:52 AM
About 22 gallons in 500 feet

highway
02-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Wow, that was way more than I anticipated. So when I am pumping the tank out it would add about 175 lb to the line full of sap. I better make sure the wire is tight and tied well.

Thank you,

Ed

MN Jake
02-03-2014, 09:21 AM
I need to pump 800 feet with about a 20' rise so it have been brainstorming a way to do this also. The trouble for me is it's only about a barrel a day at this location. Maybe 2 if I'm lucky

lpakiz
02-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Jake,
If you have a tall ladder and are not afraid to climb, here is what I have.
Go STRAIGHT UP right near your barrel and attach your wire to a tree or other anchor. Go a bit higher than you need at the exit end of the transfer line. Suspend the pipe from this really tight wire. Use a 90 degree fitting at the top to connect the horizontal pipe to the vertical portion. You can use supports along the way to minimize sags and freeze-ups. Then when you pump, everything from the high point out runs to the transfer tank. Only the vertical part drains back. Although 20 feet is really high, and if you use a tree, the wind will sway it, working on your wire and pipe and ties.

MN Jake
02-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Jake,
If you have a tall ladder and are not afraid to climb, here is what I have.
Go STRAIGHT UP right near your barrel and attach your wire to a tree or other anchor. Go a bit higher than you need at the exit end of the transfer line. Suspend the pipe from this really tight wire. Use a 90 degree fitting at the top to connect the horizontal pipe to the vertical portion. You can use supports along the way to minimize sags and freeze-ups. Then when you pump, everything from the high point out runs to the transfer tank. Only the vertical part drains back. Although 20 feet is really high, and if you use a tree, the wind will sway it, working on your wire and pipe and ties.
I may have to entertain that thought!!

lpakiz
02-03-2014, 10:20 AM
It takes a heckuva anchor at each end. If you get in the area, I'd be glad to show it to you. Bring boots. Tall boots. Real tall boots. Or binoculars.

MN Jake
02-03-2014, 10:23 AM
It looks like I may head to Roths on Friday. I have 10" uppers on my boots + snowshoes or are you talking water?

Thad Blaisdell
02-03-2014, 11:54 AM
I am looking to run about 500' of 1" mainline as a pump line from the sugar bush to the road. Approximately 250' up a slight grade then 250' to the road slight downhill. My thought is the pump side would drain back to the holding tank when I shut the pump off then I could carry that amount out in a bucket. The road side could drain towards the road into the truck tank.

Does anyone know the gallons per foot for 1" black plastic?

Ed

On this configuration, how much elevation change is there to top of hill. Is the pump site lower than the road side. If you add a T in the line and put in a check valve you could do this down the hill on the pump side and you could get some of the sap to suck up and over the hill when done pumping, thus reducing the total amount that goes back.

lpakiz
02-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Jake,
Just snow. Lots of snow. Mid- thigh snow. No water. 300 feet from road to shack, so doable. Actually, I walked part way there today, just to see if the shack was OK. If you wear pants like them rapper dudes, your gonna get hung up....
If you wanna poke around, maybe snow shoes would help. Never tried them.
I'll PM ya my cell phone number. Dial me up when you get to Roths. We'll connect.

MN Jake
02-03-2014, 04:08 PM
:lol:no rapper pants here. I did go in the woods today, been so cold the snowshoes sunk all the way down.

maple flats
02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Guys who wear the rapper pants can't even walk on a clear sidewalk without issue. I drive school bus and last week I let off one 7th grader whose pants kept getting lower with each step he took going up his driveway, with his legs getting farther apart at each step trying to hold them up. I warned him the next day that if he repeated that, I would write him up and the principal would then have a talk with him. He's been good since.

lpakiz
02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Well, he LOOKED cool, right? Right? Dave? Anyway, he thought he looked cool.

BreezyHill
02-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Dave...Good Job! Kids want attention, to be noticed. Let him know that it is way cooler to be smiling with all his teeth than with his pants at his thighs and face first in the drive.

Kids get tattoos and wonder why you staring at them. " I am sorry I was just trying to figure if you are just stupid or to drunk or high to have realized that it was dumb to get a permanent mark in your skin...Thanks for setting me straight." I almost died laughing.