PDA

View Full Version : looking to build a pan washer

maple flats
02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm trying to build a pan washer and am not sure what type of plastic sheet to use for the lid. It needs to be 3' x 3'. What are the commercial units using? Is it Lexon or other? I'll be making a grid of 4 tubes to spray the 4 channels in my pan out of PVC. I'm thinking I can just make 2 rows of small holes along the tubes to spray the sides and another row facing down to spray the bottom. Then the cleaning water will flow out the draw offs into a collection tank that the pump will draw from. I'll use permeate to clean and a 1" pump for pressure. Does this sound like it should work? If yes, my questions are:
1. lid or cover material?
2. pump requirements?

Other considerations?
Thanks,
Dave

Mark
02-02-2014, 05:29 PM
1/2 hp pump will do. I have seen a home made unit that was made from copper tube and had no cover. It had two pieces of wood that the tubes were attached to that kept it centered on the pan. It was used in an area that if a little water were to splash out it would be okay.

BAP
02-02-2014, 05:52 PM
I built one a few years ago. Used a piece of Lexan so that it wouldn't break from being moved around and drilled. I used 1/2 pvc pipe running the full distance of the pan with one for each channel. It set it up so the ends were capped and a tee in the middle going up threw the lexan. Each pvc pipe was drilled with small holes at various angles. Key turned out to be only drill a few then add more if need be I originally drilled to many. I built a rack out of angle iron to hold the pan at about a 50 to 60 degree angle. Took a 55 gallon plastic drum and laid it on its side and cut a 8-10 slot across the top of the side so the pan could drain into it. Used one of the original barrel bungs on the end and plumbed it up for the pump suction. Used a small pump made for garden hose and use hose to connect to the drum and pvc pipes. I used a fem cheap spring clips to hold the cover to the pan. Ran it till the pan was clean which usually was 1-2 hours. Found that warm to hot condensate off the preheater worked the best, but any would do. Probably only had $250 to $300 worth of material in it. You don't need much of a pump and if your holes in the pipe are small, the pump keeping the pipe full will create enough pressure to make a spray. It doesn't need to make a lot of pressure. I bought the pump at a Ace Hardware store.

maple flats
02-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks, that's essentially what I was thinking, thanks on the comment about the number of holes. I'll do a few and add as needed.

BAP
02-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I hope it works out for you. Once you get it working, you will wish you had one before because they do a great job of cleaning and no chemicals to deal with. You might have to make a couple of tries to get the pvc pipe and holes to perform the way you want it to.

heus
02-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have any pics or diagrams?

maple flats
02-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Not yet. I did see one made by Ben Benjamin (of Ben & Judy's Sugarhouse) about 8-10 yrs. ago. I think he said he designed and built it but sold the idea to CDL. They now make one very similar. Also I noticed that Kaplan Container in Rochester, NY offers them now. Ben's was just a clear lid with piping under it and a spray seemed to hit everything necessary from some rows of holes in the plastic pipes. I do't know if I asked the pump size. I think his was on a 4x2 cross flow pan. His arch had 2 and he had a spare so he could remove a dirty pan, swap it out and resume boiling while his pan washer did it's job. This is basically what I'm trying to do.
The pan cleaner Kaplan Container offers looks to have an arm that spins as water is pumped thru it. Similar to a spinning water sprinkler except theirs sprays down and presumably fans out but not up. I may even attempt that if I can come up with a low profile spinning arm that will spin freely.

BAP
02-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the one I made. It went with the business when I sold it.

Bucket Head
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM
What size reservoir should be used? What would you use for a reservoir? How many gallons of condensate/permeate is reccomended for a cleaning?

Steve

maple flats
02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure how many are suggested but I'm going to use a 55 gal bbl, on it's side and think I'll fill it about half. I am planning on changing out the permeate after about 1 hr for fresh, but I'll see how it goes. If the first 30 gal does well I may not change it out.
I ordered a piece of Lexan for my cover, I bought a 3' x3' x3/8" piece, after finding numerous places that wanted about $350- $500 for 1/4" in that L & W, I found a place on Ebay that had numerous odd pieces and the one I ordered was in stock. He only hit me $150 delivered, and it was shipped 2 days ago, due in today UPS,(may be weather delay).
Then looking at the spray pattern I think a spinning arm similar to an upside down water sprinkler, or dishwasher top spray arm might be best but that may come in time. For now I'll just use PVC and have 4 lengths, one over each section of the pan.
Today I'll decide which pump to get and order one.

maple flats
02-05-2014, 09:24 AM
That was quick. I searched a SS utility pump, and on the first page in the results I found one that I think will do well. It is a 1/4 HP SS submersible utility pump and at a price I liked. A place called Surplus Center, one I've ordered from numerous times in the past had them at $89.00 ea, delivered only $104.00.
The pump is rated at 1140 gph at 5' head and 825 gph at 10' head. I'll be pushing about 4-5' high and the small holes will restrict more but I should still get plenty of flow and it only uses 2.5A at 115V. My guess is that I'll get good pressure and still get 10+ gpm.
Usually when Surplus Center gets items it means the item has been dropped from the MFGR. line, usually replaced with a new number/model. I've had excellent luck from them, hopefully the trend continues.

heus
02-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Dave after you get this built post pics please. Thanks

maple flats
02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
I will post pics after I've built it, and again after I use it, with comments (you know me). My next task is getting an overhead trolley system to lift and move the pan to be washed. That's another thread.

BAP
02-05-2014, 02:40 PM
If your lexan doesn't come thru, Home Depot sells it. A 55 gallon drum on its side 1/2 full will be enough water. It doesn't take a large amount I found.

maple flats
02-05-2014, 05:25 PM
The Lexan arrived today. Tomorrow I start building the plumbing for it.

lew
02-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Dave,

Once you build your track system for moving the pan, you'll wish you had built one years ago. We built ours with old hay tracks from a barn. For rollers we first used modified rollers from the hay rack, but later replaced them with 1 ton trolleys from harbor freight. 1 man can move our 5x10 max flue pan with one hand. Totally awesome.

maple flats
02-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Well, time passed and I haven't even unpacked the Lexan. I got a bad intestinal issue and had to stay home. I even took 2 days off from work and I haven't done that is several years. Feeling better today. Hope to get back on track this weekend, hang new TF line in bigger bush Sat. and then work the pan washer Sunday.
I've got a company quoting a custom made track system in SS for moving the pans for cleaning. I'll see how much that shocks me. I had thought of buying new barn track but wanted to check out the custom SS first.

maple flats
02-15-2014, 10:14 AM
I finally marked and drilled the lexan yesterday. Today I assemble the pan washer. Tomorrow I'll likely test it and get some pictures. I've decided to use an old sap barrel (food grade) that I had cut in half (actually slightly more than half). I will be able to use the pan washer either on the arch or move it outside, place it on a shelf under my feed tank raised platform. My pump is submersible and it will set in the open barrel stood on end. The spray will shoot into the pan thru holes I'll drill in the tubing that will hang horizontally under the Lexan and go down each section. Then I'll clamp a length of lay flat pump discharge hose to each draw off valve and they will run the water back into the barrel where the pump it. I think I'll start with 5 gal of water to try it, but will have more available if needed. For the trial I'll just use tap water, but after the season gets going I'll use permeate.