PDA

View Full Version : beer keg

timbers
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Just purchased some beer kegs off ebay, and have no idea how they open.
They have a ss cap with a rubber gasket, then have ss in the centre of the cap. Any help would be appreciated. Ian

Splashdam
11-20-2006, 08:22 PM
I remember my days in college when the cheap pump tap wouldn't work, the beer distributor was closed and 40 kids wanted to fill their cups. All we did was knock in the 'bung' on the side of the keg. Of course, we just wanted the beer and then the keg went back to the distributor for our 10 dollar deposit.

I would try knocking out the center with a hefty punch and a good sledge.

brookledge
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
The way to remove the supply tube is to first of all hold away from you and push down on the ball with something. This will allow any pressure in the keg to relieve it's self. You may also get sprayed so be careful.
Then you can go to town on removing the snap ring I have gotten pretty good at it by using two regular screwdrivers. You should see a small spot where you can get it started. Once you have the snap ring out then the supply tube turns about 90 degrees and will slide up and out. The you can wash and let dry.
All I use is rubber expansion plugs to seal it. I only hot pack them so I have no problem keeping for as long as I need
Keith

royalmaple
11-21-2006, 06:57 AM
How much do these empty kegs go for?

Fred Henderson
11-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Timbers, I will come and open them for you. My fee is small, 1 keg for every 4 that I open. Just joking with you. Do what brookledge says and it will happen. I know that I had a bugger of a time the first time that I did one. :D

brookledge
11-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Matt
That depends on how fast you drink and what brand you buy? :lol:
What some have done is pay someone the cost of the deposit and then keep it.
Keith

Fred Henderson
11-21-2006, 05:56 PM
That is how I got 2 of them.

royalmaple
11-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Keith-

I agree, I guess I'll have to put up the Captain for a while and switch to kegs.

Russ you listening?? We got more work ahead of us this weekend if we also have to empty some kegs. I was thinking about emptying some 12oz kegs, guess I'll have to get my rest next couple of days.

By the time I get one empty by myself, It will be rot gut for sure.

I guess the deposit thing would be a better idea.

mapleman3
11-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I'll let you in on a secret, College properties as apartment complexes usually hav a few they are throwing away, I got mine that way, I work for a company that owns them across the country, those kids just toss them aside or hide them in the woods LOL

Russell Lampron
11-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Yeah Matt I am listening. That will give us one more thing to work on this weekend. :D

How much is the deposit on a keg? The next time I have a pallet burning party I may have to get a keg and keep it.

Russ

royalmaple
11-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I remember back in the day, it was 10 bucks deposit.

I know pleanty of people that had them as show pieces during college, and use them for all types of furniture.

Too bad I was not addicted to maple at that time, I could have scored big time while everyone was hung over.
:lol: :lol:

timbers
11-27-2006, 07:14 AM
thanks for the help, now to avoid beer flavored syrup lemon juice? Where i should i get the rubber plugs from.. ian

ps these cost me $15 per but "the beer store" here is ontario will sell them to anyone for the deposit $20

brookledge
11-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Ian
As far as the plugs go. What I have done is to go to the local hardware and autosupply store and get rubber expansion plugs. They are not food grade rubber, so rather than spend extra money buying food grade rubber this is what I do.
I take non food grade and take a good quality ziplock bag usually quart size and lay accross the opening of the full keg and then push the plug down inside and tighten it this way the rubber never comes in contact with the syrup.