PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in Broome County?

Pages : [1] 2

relseek
02-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Just curious if anyone around Broome County is planning on tapping soon?

Saltlick
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Rob,
I have found over the last ten years ,, I get most of my sap during the month of March. So I'm usually in no hurry to tap. May miss a run or two of light syrup. But healing up has never been a problem.. I'm up by the airport, mostly on the north side, so my woods are cold.. Have a good season..BJS

relseek
02-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply,Saltlick. I'm on Pollard Hill, most of my trees are on the north side of the slope too. This is only my second year and it seems I'm always asking questions, maybe I can pick your brain sometime. Do you find that 150 taps is a good match for your 2x4? I have a 2x5 flat continuos flow, this year I have 117 on tubing and about 40 on buckets and to tell the truth I'm a little scared that I may be biting off more than I can chew.....

Saltlick
02-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Rob,, 397 E. Maine Rd. give me a shout some day 729-3071, Been busy plowing trails and running some hose.. I love the outdoors but I wish it would warm up a little. But not too warm yet...Where abouts on Polard???.Bruce

relseek
02-10-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm at 559 Pollard. I will probably take you up on that offer. Thank you

Saltlick
02-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Rob, You asked about the 2x4? At times I think its marginal. But its what I have, and I'm getting a little old to learn a new system. I've learned how to change a few things over the years to get the most out of it.. I'm able to boil between 16 to 18 gallons per hour most of the time. I very seldom finish the syrup in the evaporator. I have propane setup for a controlled finish. So unless I get big runs day after day, I'm able to keep up, pretty much. Hope this answers your question..I'm no expert, but I'm more than willing to show you what I have, anytime..Bruce

relseek
02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
My wife and I would definitely like to stop by at some point. I appreciate the offer. When we get a moment one of these days I will try giving you a call.

hounder
02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
We are going to start tapping on Sunday. Lines should be all fixed back up and hopefully we will get some runs with warmer weather in site next week. We also are not too far from you in the Town of Maine off of 38b. Company is always welcome and we will probably put you to work so be forewarned =)

relseek
02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks so much for the invite. I can't even imagine running a 4x12, would love to see that in action.

Saltlick
02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Hounder,, I would like to see your set up also,, but as far as work goes,,sorry,, its been a cold winter, my wood pile is low, and ma ma is getting cold. So back to work, with a chain saw.. Keep in touch. Bruce

hounder
02-13-2014, 06:11 AM
Anytime, and we got wise to the wood in the sugarshack and had it all put up last year right away. I was just saying that when someone visits we are not above having them check the stack temp or running a batch through the press.. I don't think boiling on a smaller or bigger evaporator makes much of a difference except you put more wood in =) How many Christmas trees you have Saltlick?

relseek
02-13-2014, 08:05 AM
so Hounder, where abouts are you located on 38b? For starting in only 2011 you sure ramped up operations pretty quickly

hounder
02-13-2014, 08:29 AM
We are on Sherder - the Christmas Tree Farm you may know where that is. We have potential for a lot more taps but we added no more this year. Not adding until we put in a line to pump sap to the sugarshack. We put the cart kind of before the horse and bought a big evaporator so had to have taps so we would have enough sap to even light it.

relseek
02-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Still quite impressive!!

Saltlick
02-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Hounder,,, That must be you Gene...How is your dad doing? Not a lot of trees, I keep it as a hobby just like the syrup. Limit my sales to 100.. If I get too many I wholesale. That way I only sell weekends and hunt during the week. I raise Concolor and Douglas,, deer won't touch them. Besides trees and dogs, your now into the syrup. Do it while you can.. I just live up the road from Bill Homes. I hope to get the chance to come up and see your operation. Are you thinking of doing one of those "open house events"? Bruce Sattler

hounder
02-14-2014, 05:19 PM
My dad is doing good. 94 and he still is helping with everything or getting in the way. Don't think we will do an open house, we tell our tree customers if anyone wants to stop anytime they can. Will you have any concolors to wholesale? Any time you do let me know. Gonna have about 800 tapped for the warm up. Not sure if it will run with all that snow on the ground...

relseek
02-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Well I tapped in 117 I have on tubing today. Will probably do 40 on buckets tomorrow. But seriously what is with this snow? At one point my wife and I looked back at our 6 year old helper (Killian) and he was stuck in the snow up to his armpits.

Saltlick
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Having any luck during this warm up? I may be foolish to wait a while yet, but still not looking much like spring, on the north side of my hill. That knee deep snow is tough on the legs. Hounder, what do you use for a preemergent ? I have been using Simazine and Surflan. But Surflan is quite expensive. Any tips would be appreciated. Bruce

relseek
02-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Checked tonight, there is a little ice in the bottom of the buckets and tanks I was kinda expecting more... Hopefully tomorrow or the next day they will let loose

hounder
02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
We got 800 taps in and what ran today we let flush out the lines - see what tomorrow brings. Simazine doesn't stay in the soil long alone. Bicep two lite is what I use, which is simazine with a touch of atrozine to last longer. If your trees aren't real young you can use west star. that stuff works unbelievable but you can over do it. wait you are the competition. Use west star on everything about 8 ounces per acre.

hounder
02-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Gonna sweeten the pans today. Collected about 400 gallons yesterday and should get some today. Snow is bearable to walk in now and around the trunks of the trees have melted.

maplehillbros7179
02-23-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm surprised it ran with how cold it's been yes it's been warm and a little sunny the last few days but there still has to be frost in the ground whatever sap ran was stuff in the tree that thawed a little. were holding out especially with the weather that's coming this week you don't want to tap to early especially since it's looking like this season could go to April possibly.

Saltlick
02-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Hounder,, thanks for the tips, I'll check them out. You make me laugh,, I'm no competition, I've sent people your way. I don't allow cut your own, that's the only way I can manage what I have. If I let people cut their own, I would have none the following year. Anyway, Homedepot and Lowes are your real competition. Glad to hear your getting some sap. The guy up the road from me, got some, but not much, and the flavor of what he got, had a lot to be desired. Dirty tubing he thinks. I'm waiting till winter's over. Glad your dad is doing great. BJS

hounder
02-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Maplehilsbros we aren't getting a ton but is was thawed enough to get the truck and tractor both stuck. Made a few gallons but pans are sweet and next time it runs we know that everything is ready including sweetened pans. We only tapped half of ours in and will get the other half done this week or so. The cold will keep the taps fresh - no bacteria will grow in this predicted cold snap?

Thanks for the referral saltlick. I close my cut field once I reach a specific number and then they can buy from the stand or cut Norways. If we didn't we would be out of trees also.

Saltlick
02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Hounder,, you sell norways for Christmas trees? Any complaints? My son and I have been selling Norways for Landscape, 12 foot and higher. Yes the contractor has to fill the holes, but its still a mess. I had a Norway in my house one year.. My wife said never again. Spiders and needles. Of coarse the wood stove didn't help. Nice to have pans sweetened.. Keep tappin... BJS

maplehillbros7179
02-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Hounder, I'm not sure if bacteria silly grow but the older the tap hole gets it will dry up since the tree begins to heal as soon as you drill a hole. Were tapping some Saturday since it will be the first of the month and the sap will run eventually let's hope for a warm up boys !

hounder
03-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Last weekend it showed on the weather the potential for good sap days on Wednesday through Saturday. Just looked today and it is not looking promising now...WTH...tired of weatherman. We plan around them and they change day to day.

Saltlick
03-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Should be finished tapping tomorrow. Takes me a long time, this 14v drill with a couple of batteries, NOT enough power. Time to up grade next year. I used to do them all by hand, now I just wait for the batteries to charge. Weather looks promising the next few days. Time for Spring

antelope76
03-05-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm planning on getting my taps in after work the next few nights. Looks like it should run a little Friday and Saturday.

relseek
03-05-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm thinking that I should have listened to you Saltlick,and waited till March to tap. We got that one run and I finished just under 2 gallons but everything is frozen solid now. Hoping the tap holes last longer than just six weeks. Time will tell I guess. Hopefully spring shows up now.

Saltlick
03-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Spring is here, a Hugh flock of robins showed up today. Hopefully to sap will start to flow.

Saltlick
03-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Gathered for the first time yesterday.. Tubing was running good Monday, real slow in buckets. Got enough to sweeten up evaporator in good shape. But not enough to can any. Better days should come after this next cold spell.

hounder
03-24-2014, 01:29 PM
finally nice to see the sap run decent on Saturday. Ground still frozen so hopefully it is just the beginning. Nice to be hurrying worrying tanks would be overflowing;)

relseek
03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi Guys, just curious if anyone has any ideas when we have to start worrying about buds here in Broome County?

SPILEDRIVER
03-31-2014, 02:26 PM
my sugars still look good but everything else is swelling/popping.......up coming forcast dosnt look good

John c
03-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Just curious if anyone around Broome County is planning on tapping soon?
Rob,
I'm right around the corner from you on east Maine as well. I saw the steam pouring out of your shack this past weekend. I'll be sure to stop and introduce myself next time I notice you boiling. Best of luck to you!

relseek
04-01-2014, 07:29 AM
John, youre more than welcome. The steam...yes that is one thing I keep fighting with with my little set up (2x5 flat pan with no hood)makes things interesting to say the least.

John c
04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
John, youre more than welcome. The steam...yes that is one thing I keep fighting with with my little set up (2x5 flat pan with no hood)makes things interesting to say the least.
Rob,
Perhaps putting a cupola on that gable shed would help a lot. We'll discuss that when I stop over! I noticed the steam bellowing out the upper access window, but I didn't see a cupola.

relseek
04-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Your right, no cupola, that would help. The shed is one of those "make due with what I have right now" sort of things, I would really like to get a 2x6 with steam hood, but that will have to wait.

Saltlick
04-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Nice frost last night. Cleaned sugar house, split a little wood up. Checked buckets tonight, trying for figure out the best time to gather. But Empty Buckets. Running about 50% so far this year. Not looking the best. Getting late..

SPILEDRIVER
04-03-2014, 08:37 PM
got to gather first thing in the morning,my bucketts on my sugar maples were all running over when i left for work at 2:30!! couldnt gather this morning due to a doctors appointment and car issues.thought i was all done but looks like ill be boiling again sat.

John c
04-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I finished up all my "almost syrup" today and hit my goal, so tomorrow I will go check my buckets and if they are all full I will boil again, but if they aren't full I will probably just pull the taps and call it quits for the year. All in all I got a gallon more than last year, so I'm happy enough. Heck...I still have over a half gallon left from last year.

John c
04-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I finished up all my "almost syrup" today and hit my goal, so tomorrow I will go check my buckets and if they are all full I will boil again, but if they aren't full I will probably just pull the taps and call it quits for the year. All in all I got a gallon more than last year, so I'm happy enough. Heck...I still have over a half gallon left from last year.
Sorry folks, I lied!
I thought I was done, I cleaned everything up and put it all away. Today I went out to pull my taps and all my buckets were overflowing with nice clear sap. I checked the sap with my refractometer and it is at 3.5%.
To make a long story short...I am boiling right now!

SPILEDRIVER
04-10-2014, 05:51 PM
made a batch yesterday but it turned out funky so i tossed it......got some good sap this morning and it was running so ill give it another shot in the morning but either way im pulling them saturday and cleaning up.....my son built a shack and bought a used 2x6 over the winter and set a goal of 75 gallons syrup,he got 180 gallons sap yesterday that put him at 56 gal for the year...he just told me he was swamped with sap today and would be boiling till midnight so im hopeing and praying with the sap from tommorrow he will hit his goal....sure am proud of him.

John c
04-10-2014, 05:55 PM
made a batch yesterday but it turned out funky so i tossed it......got some good sap this morning and it was running so ill give it another shot in the morning but either way im pulling them saturday and cleaning up.....my son built a shack and bought a used 2x6 over the winter and set a goal of 75 gallons syrup,he got 180 gallons sap yesterday that put him at 56 gal for the year...he just told me he was swamped with sap today and would be boiling till midnight so im hopeing and praying with the sap from tommorrow he will hit his goal....sure am proud of him.
That's an awesome goal for a son to have. I hope he hits it!

hounder
03-05-2015, 11:46 AM
My family started getting lines back up and tapping as we go along. They have gotten about 800 tapped so far. Yesterday you could see the lines having a bit running through them but not enough to count! Thought being this late would make it easier getting through the woods but still having to use snow shoes. Getting lines that are down is quite a hide and seek game. Gonna clean the sugarshack and equipment tomorrow so we will be ready! Anyone else get tapped yet?

antelope76
03-05-2015, 01:18 PM
I got all my taps on tubing up last weekend. Tonight I will start putting my buckets out and will be finished Saturday.

John c
03-11-2015, 08:35 AM
I got half of my taps in on Saturday. Every bucket is still dry as a bone, but not to worry because all my trees are in the woods and it's to be expected. My buddy has a few trees next to the road that are running good, but his buckets in the woods are dry too. I suspect that once they let loose it'll be game on! Once my first bucket is full I will put out the rest of my taps.
Just to be clear...I only put out 40 taps on buckets.

John c
03-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Buckets were still dry yesterday after work. It's most likely normal, but it sure feels like I'm missing out on some sap.

relseek
03-12-2015, 11:14 AM
My buckets have been producing but not alot, approx 40-45 gallons a day from 61 buckets. My 155 on tubing have been giving approx 100 gal a day since tuesday

John c
03-12-2015, 01:20 PM
My buckets have been producing but not alot, approx 40-45 gallons a day from 61 buckets. My 155 on tubing have been giving approx 100 gal a day since tuesday
Rob,
I stopped by your house today to introduce myself, but apparently you weren't home. Funny thing is I am friends with your neighbors...Steve, Manny, Brad, and the Brady's. It seems I've done all your neighbors roofs except for yours...lol.
My trees are gushing today, so I will be boiling this weekend.

Tree Milker 56
03-17-2015, 08:07 PM
New to the forum, have my 22 taps in up here in Maine NY, have about 17 gallons so far! -Steve

relseek
03-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Had a bit of a mishap Saturday morning when a float malfunctioned, ( and I wasn't in the shack)isn't that when it always happens? Well my pan burnt up beyond salvation. Thanks to Jim and Angela over at Smoky Lake I should be getting my new pan tomorrow and be back in business. Thankfully it has cooled way down tonight and stopped sap flow. My new vacuum system is working good and I'm sitting on over 500 gallons that needs to be processed...... The problems you don't prepare for are the ones that get you.
But in the name of St Patrick's Day, a little IRISH wisdom from my Grand Dad..."Nothing is ever so bad that it couldn't be worse"

John c
03-17-2015, 08:48 PM
New to the forum, have my 22 taps in up here in Maine NY, have about 17 gallons so far! -Steve
Welcome, Steve. Where are you located in Maine? It wouldn't be on East Maine would it?

Tree Milker 56
03-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Not too far away, off of east maine road toward Nappys

John c
03-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Nothing in the buckets in over a week. Looks like maybe a few good days coming up though.

Tree Milker 56
03-24-2015, 06:51 PM
I had some last week - made a pint + 10 oz...then not much but does look good in the near future! Hopefully will get some snow melt to make it easier for getting to trees

John c
03-24-2015, 10:32 PM
I put out 10 more taps today to try and make up for the last week of nothing. We'll see what happens.

Tree Milker 56
03-27-2015, 07:47 AM
I was near agway so I grabbed a few more and hopefully can get some additional out this weekend. Maybe the slow start will lead to a good season

John c
03-31-2015, 02:51 PM
It's been running good here. It's been snowing on and off for days, but it's running good!

Yukon
04-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Last week here in Castle Creek I got four 5 gallon buckets and then it stopped cold. Today, I got 3 more buckets, and just checked them and they were already a quarter full again after a few hours. I bet they'll be full in the morning. It's suppose to hit 60 degrees in the next couple of days. It might end fast this year. So far, 4 half pints and boiling down today's catch should yield a few more. Not bad for two trees and a propane burner I guess. Whatever i get tomorrow may be itfor me this year. Having a lot of fun anyway!

relseek
04-02-2015, 09:57 AM
WOW, its flowing today, I justed checked the buckets around the house and most were almost full already!!

hounder
04-02-2015, 05:01 PM
It sure is flowing today. We have gotten 750 gallons each day for the last three days and we should end up with about 1500 today. Best part it is staying right above 2%. Hope every one is staying up way too late for the pretty light syrup like we are getting😆

Tree Milker 56
04-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Same here flowing good too! Out of storage so will be boiling tomorrow!

relseek
04-02-2015, 11:25 PM
I had two batches of super light this week then tonight it looks like it turned to medium again

Tree Milker 56
04-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Did my finishing today -36 gallons down to 1 qt, 1 pt, 1 6 oz and 2oz extra!

John c
04-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Well I hit my goal and then some, so I think I'll go out and pull my taps in the morning and start getting everything cleaned up and put away.
I hope you all hit your mark!

John c
04-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Done! Cleaned up and on to the next part of the year. I hope you all had as good of a season as I did.

John c
02-08-2016, 03:24 PM
I'll be putting in about half of my taps on Monday, February 15th. Anybody else gonna be putting any out around then?

antelope76
02-09-2016, 07:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I'll start tapping sometime next week.

relseek
02-09-2016, 10:39 AM
I tapped my lines that are on vacuum on Jan. 30. Made just over 5 gallons so far. I will probably tap the rest next weekend

SPILEDRIVER
01-25-2017, 03:12 PM
time to wake up....

Yukon
02-19-2017, 05:28 PM
Small time here. Five 5 gal buckets, 8 taps, boiling on an outdoor propane burner. So far since yesterday, boiled down about 20 gallons. Buckets filling up here in Barker faster than I can use so far.

SPILEDRIVER
02-21-2017, 10:00 PM
hey Yukon where you at in castle creek? I moved 2 yrs ago from the glen to castle creek...

Buddy 58
02-25-2018, 07:27 AM
Good morning every one . I'm interested to find out what others are seeing for sugar content . I tapped last weekend and Monday , first boil was Wed. then Thursday and yesterday , sugar Wed. was 1.5 , yesterday down to 1.2 . the different locations I tap once combined in the holding tanks at the start of the season most years 2.2 - 2.5 This is like boiling at the end of season .

YBSean
02-25-2018, 09:27 AM
1.4-1.6% in Tompkins County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ponderingjunkman
02-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Under 1% last night

Twar
02-25-2018, 03:21 PM
I'm getting 2% on average in my storage tank. I've been checking individual trees as well and it's all over the place. Was a higher last week averaging 2.5 and early this week was still over 2. I have some yard trees that are keeping the percentage up. All the trees that are not out in the open are below 2%.

Buddy 58
02-26-2018, 01:12 PM
Just got back from taking samples from the four places I tap , combined them and pleased to say sugar content is climbing . 1.8 not the greatest but better than what I had last week . sap hydrom. and hanna Refractometer both agree :)

Belden Boiler
03-02-2018, 12:50 PM
I'm near Sanitaria Springs and my levels are mostly well below 1.5% on the sugar maples in the woods. But the red maples out on the yard are much better - 1.8 up to 3.0% on one tree. I have pulled a few dozen taps from the sugars and tapped the reds.

Buddy 58
03-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Its very possible with this snow and cold temps next week at night we could see Sugar % raise some . Have seen it happen before over the years . Keeping fingers crossed !

Buddy 58
03-08-2018, 06:36 AM
Sap ran good Tuesday after noon and into the night for my locations . Started early yesterday , done by 1 pm . Sugar % up a little , started to lighten up some on the last draw . Now wait for the next run , next 7 days don't look to good .

Buddy 58
03-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Saps running , And its running really good . 38* and sun here 2:00

Twar
03-08-2018, 09:11 PM
I have collected more sap so far this week than any week so far. It's really running good. I have over 100 gallons since Sunday on 40 taps.

Buddy 58
03-09-2018, 02:06 PM
well , sap did run yesterday but not for long. Only had 200 gallons , sugar 1.7 . fired up for two hours , drew off 2 & half fired till head tank was empty . I run a 3x10 so small runs don't take long .

Buddy 58
03-15-2018, 08:10 AM
9:00 and 35* - well we just might get sap to run today , going to go and check about 10:00 .

Buddy 58
03-19-2018, 11:24 AM
STILL WAITING for better temps. I'm all gravity , with these temps. , late day thaw - run a little then freeze .

Buddy 58
03-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Just got back from removing ice from collection tanks . Local stations say maybe 40* today , turned cloudy . Will the lines even thaw ?? Still waiting .

ALSMAPLE
03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
I'm over in Norwich on vacuum with similar temps, expectations and waiting!Probably thaw for a couple of hours

relseek
03-20-2018, 06:53 PM
I'm in the town of Maine and it seems the temps keep getting just warm enough to make the lines run slightly (making the ice in the tanks thicker)

Buddy 58
04-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Last boil this morning , with the four places I tap only 1 gave sap yesterday , just enough to fire up . Didn't check sugar content - evaporator told me not good . Had lunch and went back and drained front pan into propane finisher , added four buckets from flu pan . sat and looked at that boiling for couple hours - finish it in the morning . What a crazy season !

tombaisley
04-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Collected 30 gallons this past St. on 24 taps. Boiled Sat. night and Sunday ( two steam trays on LP). I measured the boil of water to be 210.5 boiled till 219, got 2.5 quarts of golden.

Buddy 58
08-24-2018, 09:49 PM
The competition results for maple products at the New York State Fair have been posted . There under fruit & farm for those who might be interested .

Walling's Maple Syrup
08-25-2018, 11:41 AM
The competition results for maple products at the New York State Fair have been posted . There under fruit & farm for those who might be interested .
Thanks. I kept looking under maple products. Didnt realize they were posted there.
Neil

Buddy 58
09-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Bridge to my sugar house washed out last night ! Local rain gauges said little over 4 inches of rain between Midnight and 3 AM . 1882518826

maple flats
09-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Last summer I helped a friend move his bridge in the Catskills back into position. In a gully washer it moved a roughly 5' wide by 30'+ bridge which had 5 full length logs under it. To start it was several feet above the stream on one end but maybe only 5-6 above the usual water level on the low end. He rented a medium large excavator and we pulled it back thru about 75-100' of trees and brush, then took the excavator into the stream bed and lifted it as best we could into position. After I left he lifted the low end and put heavy flat rocks to get that end up higher then built a ramp to get off. In the end the bridge likely sloped 25 degrees give or take. In the end I think we ended up with just 3 full length logs under it, the other became detached. I don't know if he put them bck in later. His bridge was just for an ATV or snowmobile (or foot bridge)

buckeye gold
09-19-2018, 07:38 AM
That looks all too familiar to me. I have a bridge at the end of my drive that leads to the entire property, including our houses. It has washed out twice in 30 years. The second time I gave up on culverts. I had two abutments poured and put steel beams across and built a deck. That has held for 15 years or more. Culverts need wing walls or they will wash. Now that you have that hole you might consider spanning the creek instead of a culvert.

mainebackswoodssyrup
09-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Culverts should be sized to 1.2x the stream bank width. Not to say a smaller size won't work 95% of the time but if you want the overkill approach that is the standard to use. And riprap is a cheaper alternative than wing walls that works good if placed correctly. But it won't do any good if the culvert is too small.

Buddy 58
09-21-2018, 02:29 PM
18831188321883118832 Two 31 foot locust trees 16 inch big ends 8 inch small ends , last night found a bunch of 2x8 concrete forms that were free ! 300 taps are pipe lined to a tank behind sugar house the rest I bring in with pickup tank - 100 feet of 1 inch black plastic pipe and I can pump it across for now . Going to try and find two foot x 40 I beam and open deck bridge decking . I have a JD 540 log skidder , when I get that home , going to get down in the creek and pull the pipes up out , there were two side by side - 8 foot dia. One is down the creek sum . After checking things out , two big beaver dams busted out plus all that rain we got here logs and stumps washed down and plugged the pipes . For now my little bridge will work for getting across . Those pipes were put in 20 years ago . Thanks for all the information guys , but I spent 32 years working on roads I know all about riprap wing walls , head walls , plowing snow , ice storms ----- The pipes were given to me and had old side walk blocks so that is what I used . 20 years and mother nature !!!!

Buddy 58
02-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Started tapping Sunday , finished today . Sap was running some mid afternoon . Supposed to warm during night and get into the mid 40* tomorrow , Goal is to flush lines and test sugar content . And then wait for mother nature to join the game :confused:

Buddy 58
02-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Just got back from getting some samples of sap from the 4 places I tap , sugar content is up for me from last year . #1 2.1 -- #2 2.3 -- #3 2.0 -- # 4 2.5 . Last year , never got over a 1.9 . :lol:

antelope76
02-22-2019, 07:00 AM
Hung 30 buckets last night in Delaware County. They were all dripping pretty good.

Got 45 more buckets to hang in Broome County tonight after work.

Buddy 58
02-28-2019, 06:32 PM
A Noreaster Sunday into Monday -- Cant wait for it !!!!! Come on winter , its time for you to end !!!!!!!

Jake8484
03-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Should run this weekend!!! One boil so far this year for me. 1.25 gallons of golden. Yeah!

tombaisley
03-07-2019, 09:20 AM
I'm in Afton,NY, made 2 1/4 gallons of amber on 2-24, and 1 3/4 gallon of golden on 2-24, looking forward to a steady stream of sap

Jake8484
03-07-2019, 09:35 AM
I'm in Afton,NY, made 2 1/4 gallons of amber on 2-24, and 1 3/4 gallon of golden on 2-24, looking forward to a steady stream of sap
Hi Tom, I know Afton well. went to school there for a few years. Family has a house in town since 1969. I play in a golf league there still. I now live on Belden Hill.
Sounds like your off to a good start.

Buddy 58
03-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Started in at noon today , walked every place I tap , found a few chews and limbs down - fixed - Im 60 years old , some days I feel like Im 30 , right now I sure as heck feel 60 :(

Buddy 58
03-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Sap started to run good about 2:00 this afternoon for me . Woods that are piped to the sugar shack hang cold until things are right . Well things are right , she let loose this after noon , like a garden hose left cracked open :lol: The other 3 places are running good too . Game on ! Good luck guys .

Buddy 58
03-21-2019, 04:33 PM
long day today , best run in 24 hours than I have seen in a few years . Two places I tap ran all night , still running . Valley where sugar house is froze for a brief time , started running about ten , all sap combined tested 2.6 on my Hanna Dig. :lol: Back at it in the mourning . Hot shower - eat - good night !! Frist draw dark - went to amber rest of the day .

Buddy 58
03-22-2019, 04:09 PM
Only had 250 gallons today , sugar went down to 2.0 . Glad to see freeze coming . Maybe Sunday into Monday another good run . Still pulling off Amber .

Buddy 58
03-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Had another 250 + gallons this mourning , would have had more but found two drops pushed off at one place . wasn't in the tank that should have been , so went looking . just checked sugar content on my Hanna Dig. , holding at 2.0 . Sap is running good here today , really did not expect it to , Sun and warmer than forecast called for . back at it in the mourning . :rolleyes:

Buddy 58
03-27-2019, 07:30 PM
Sap ran decent Monday , but not so good yesterday , held every thing till today . Had a little over 250 gallons , still drawing off Amber . Didn't fire up till noon , while I was boiling kept checking mainline from woods , took all afternoon to start but when I got done boiling about 3 checked and sap was coming in pretty good . Sugar content was a 2.2 in the stuff I boiled today .

Windy Acres
03-29-2019, 04:18 AM
Buddy 58 I think we are in it for a couple weeks yet, our 2 main bushes finally broke loose yesterday, we have been making amber all year, last night we made almost 35 gallons of some great golden, keep chugging!

YBSean
03-29-2019, 06:15 AM
Finished amber yesterday in Tompkins and boiling today. I think this batch will be dark. Sap is running clear but changes are occurring; trees with good southern exposure are slowing down and a few have shutdown. Trees in the deeper woods are going strong as frost and snow held longer. Sap will probably start turning color next week. One more good run to go.

Buddy 58
03-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Hello Windy , out of the 4 places I tap only 2 of them were running yesterday . One that wasn't is a south slope . Thought something was wrong so went in looking for lines apart or what ever , decided to pull some drops off taps and nothing . Sooooo walked out got in the truck went back to the Hollow where it was running . I should have around 300 to boil today . Your just east of me , interesting what different locations and elevations change things .

Buddy 58
03-29-2019, 06:13 PM
The hollow gave me a little over 300 , didn't fire up till 11:30 , pulled off the lightest syrup of my season . Didn't make golden but dam near it . sugar was 2.1 . I have hanna light tester so it will be checked . Don't see a freeze until Sunday night . Glad to hear from you guys - Windy Acers - YBSean - Was wondering how others around here have been doing .

Buddy 58
04-01-2019, 07:37 AM
good freeze last night , and looks like another one tonight ------- lets see what happens ;) buds are holding tight on soft and hard maple in this little neck of the woods .

YBSean
04-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Same in Tompkins. Another boil or 2 this week and then we are pulling taps before it turns funky. Our last run ended up being even lighter amber than the one before. Really surprised me.

Buddy 58
04-03-2019, 11:27 AM
I have one bush that is running today , and that is the one that is piped to the sugar house . Tomorrow will most likely be my last boil for the season .

Buddy 58
04-03-2019, 03:05 PM
I have one bush that is running today , and that is the one that is piped to the sugar house . Tomorrow will most likely be my last boil for the season . Just got back from getting a sample of sap that running to the sugar house . Hanna says 1.8 , not bad for last boil .

YBSean
04-03-2019, 08:07 PM
1.7% today, last boil tomorrow. Started pulling taps. It was an intense 2 weeks in the sugar woods.

maple flats
04-03-2019, 08:16 PM
I'm up in Madison County, my lease of about 500 taps gave me 900 gal today at 1.7% with just 17" vacuum but about 1/4 of the taps are also on 3/16, they would have been at max, My 3/16 have a 25'+ fall, the lower taps are on 5/16 lines with the vacuum helping all. My home bush at the sugarhouse was about 400 gal in 24 hrs on 314 taps. There I have 26-27" vacuum.
Looking at my forecast, I suspect I will get sap thru Saturday morning and that will end it here. Last freeze Friday morning, then none until Wed when it might get to 30 F. Not good enough.
However, I had 14 days in a row with good sap flow and starting March 20-28 it flowed harder than I've ever seen for that many days since I began in 2003. It will end up a good year here. I don't have a count yet, I'll add it up after the season. I just keep a log book and do not usually tally it until the end.

Buddy 58
04-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Last boil went quick this mourning . waiting for pans to cool down so I can drain front and put it in propane finisher ( 16 x34 ) 0

YBSean
04-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Bottled the last of the season today and cleaning up. Intense 3 weeks. We collected 10 gallons sap per tap and bottled 23 oz syrup per tap. Had filtering challenges the last 2 boils. Checking out a vacuum filter setup for next season. Gravity filtering works most of the time, but when it does not ...

antelope76
04-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Saturday was my last boil. Ended with 22 gallons for the year. Washed and dried all my buckets in yesterdays warm weather.

Buddy 58
04-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Finished pulling taps today . rear pan is filled with sap to do its thing . was lucky and found another 200 gal. milk tank cheap . this will replace a plastic cage tank , there was a time I liked those cage tanks , they are a pain in the ------ to keep really clean . My arch needs to be rebuilt and again was lucky and found an old Ice bank milk tank shell . More than enough stainless to do it . :D Enjoying the warm weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddy 58
05-04-2019, 02:09 PM
20085 [ATTACH=CONFIG]20086 20087 20088 Here is a few photos of that ice bank milk tank shell that I am going to rebuild my arch with . It is 20 gauge and I am using Milwaukee 7 1/4 saw with Dewalt metal cutting blades to cut it apart . So far it is cutting apart pretty well .

Buddy 58
05-05-2019, 11:17 AM
2009520096 20097 20098 20099 Got back to work cutting this mourning , just got to cut around the legs and get that part off .

Buddy 58
05-05-2019, 01:50 PM
20100 20101 20102 One stripped ice bank milk tank shell ;)

Buddy 58
05-09-2019, 12:47 PM
20107 Got the rear pan up and hanging from the rafters , and all fire brick and ceramic blanket removed also .

Buddy 58
05-11-2019, 12:11 PM
20113 taking apart the arch . Was able to get that side off in enough of one piece to use as a pattern .

Buddy 58
05-16-2019, 04:10 PM
20118 Frist part put back on .

n8hutch
05-16-2019, 06:42 PM
That looks like alot of work. Its neat to see the stainless in that old tank get used again. Keep up the good work and the pictures, I wish I did a better Job documenting things like you are.

Buddy 58
05-17-2019, 01:22 PM
201192012020121 Thanks Nate , paid 75$ for the tank shell instead of paying high dollar for sheets . Got rear part clamped on this mourning and made sure the leg castings fit good , and they do . the picture of the tool is a digital angle finder , which I found on a site for 26 $ , made it nice to get the angles right . 10 degree fire box - 17 degrees flue . And what made things nice is , in my location there happens to be nice little barn tucked away that just happens to have a rather large industrial brake in it . Take two people to work it and my old shop teacher from school is still alive , he was more than willing to give me a hand . next pictures will be a week or so , counted up all the holes I get to drill and put little bolts in before I take the other side apart . ordering the bolts and nuts today from ( Macmaster & Carr ) .

Buddy 58
05-19-2019, 05:51 PM
got 99 % of holes drilled on the first side this mourning , thank god I own a drill doctor . expecting ups del. tomorrow of nuts and bolts , while I waiting , going to start grind off heads of bolts on the other side .

Buddy 58
05-21-2019, 07:05 PM
20127 hardware , came today , was expecting them yesterday . I am using what is called a ( slotted truss head screw ) 1/4 -20 bolt - stainless . It is the same as they used years ago . There are 5/8 inch 1 inch and a few 1 1/2 inch . I have been able to date this arch to at least 60 years old anyway . When I got it , it came with old English tin pans , and the rear drop flue had red wooden handles on it , on them was ( Cooks - Deruyter ) today known as Deruyter country hardware .

maple flats
05-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Looking nice, keep up the good work.

Buddy 58
05-23-2019, 11:12 AM
201282012920130 Thanks Dave ,,,, Got the other side fitted and clamped in ---- now back to drilling :(

Buddy 58
05-24-2019, 02:59 PM
20131 20132 finished drilling and bolting left side today and made first part of the ramp --- bent at 90 degrees to bolt to the sides . The floor will come next running full length bent at the top of arch down to angle iron and bolted to ash box , making the ramp double layered .

Buddy 58
05-25-2019, 01:47 PM
20133 drilled and bolted first part of ramp -------------- the end is in SIGHT

Buddy 58
05-27-2019, 10:10 AM
20134 20135 Got floor cut and bent and fitted in ------- now back to drilling . This is a picture of the brake and my dear friend and shop teacher from school ---- His name is Frank Snyder , some of you from central NY , may remember and know him , He coached Varsity Wrestling at Whitney Point central school 1967----1974 .

Buddy 58
05-27-2019, 02:27 PM
20138 Floor is drilled and bolted , got a few small things to do but the basic arch is done .

Buddy 58
05-29-2019, 12:40 PM
20142 The last part has been added --- angle iron supports across the bottom .

Buddy 58
05-29-2019, 04:10 PM
2014320144201452014620147 Now , clean the sugar house , Its a mess !

Buddy 58
06-16-2019, 09:24 AM
20166 Good mourning all . Can anyone guess what this is ? It is missing its lid and had a small cooling system attached to it . ( hint ) in operation it was half filled with water . Just having a little fun on this rainy day .

maple flats
06-16-2019, 09:54 AM
A cooler for milk cans?

Buddy 58
06-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Yes Dave that is what it is , I have been digging out an old farm dump on one of my farms and have a salvage yard bringing a dumpster this week . it is amazing what is in there . Also it is like turning back the hands of time . I can remember my dad using that can cooler and riding to the creamery with him .

maple flats
06-16-2019, 05:52 PM
I guessed that because when I was 6-7 yrs old, my grand parents on my father's side still had a few cows. I think at that time they had 13-14 still, not sure how many were milking, some were young stock. They had a milk can cooler similar, but it was made of concrete, with an overflow just above the half way mark. I helped cool it, by turning the hand pump a few turns to bring fresh cold water into the tank, the warmest flowed out.
That pump was different, it had a little pocket likely made of cast iron on a link chain, one about every 12-16". When the handle was turned it dumped the pockets over a trough that then ran into the cooler.
I'll bet that would not pass inspection now days. I think theirs would have held 8 cans if filled, I never saw more than 3 in it. Too late to ask my dad how many cans he used to haul to the milk plant, he died 16 years ago.

Buddy 58
08-26-2019, 03:07 PM
The New York State Fair has posted the results of the Maple Syrup and Maple Products Competition , You will find it in ( Fruit & Farm Products ) !!!!!!

Buddy 58
08-26-2019, 07:12 PM
The New York State Fair has posted the results of the Maple Syrup and Maple Products Competition , You will find it in ( Fruit & Farm Products ) !!!!!! ___________________________________________

Buddy 58
02-03-2020, 06:18 PM
This crazy weather -- man . Started tapping Friday 1/31/2020 --- finished to day at noon 2/3/2020 . My goal was to meet this sunny warm up today to get lines flushed out . Going to put main lines back in tanks tomorrow , Game on when the sap runs again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to fireing up with the new arch I did . May every body have a good season ..

Buddy 58
02-07-2020, 07:16 AM
Snow -- Let it snow ---- some time during night lines thawed and sap is running , be interesting how long it dose today with this snow storm .

Buddy 58
02-11-2020, 03:12 PM
was able to fire up today ---new arch was great -- sugar content 2.1 20764207652076620766

Buddy 58
02-12-2020, 11:19 AM
20782207832078320784 Had to clean ground tank this morning , all cleaned and lines from woods are back in -- lines were thawing , maybe it will run today .

Buddy 58
02-12-2020, 02:36 PM
one of the places I tap is a southern slope --- at 1:00 it was really running , others were starting slow , hope they pick up

Buddy 58
02-15-2020, 08:19 AM
What are people seeing for low temps this morning ?

antelope76
02-15-2020, 09:36 AM
-6 in Deposit, NY

Buddy 58
02-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Sure like the looks of the forcast starting sat. Gonna be busy , but that's the way I like it !

antelope76
02-20-2020, 10:35 AM
forecast is looking good. Going to tap this weekend.

Buddy 58
02-22-2020, 05:56 PM
Been so cold , took awhile for trees to thaw --- things did start to run , hopefuly better tomorrow .

Buddy 58
02-23-2020, 04:59 PM
DSCNO729 one of the places I tap running this afternoon , sorry video did not come thru

Buddy 58
02-29-2020, 07:27 PM
Just waiting for warm up -- like every body else . Hoping sugar content will remain where it was for me earlier (2.4) Bring on the SAP !

saphound
03-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Tomorrow is looking pretty good. I'm in Tioga.

Yukon
03-07-2020, 04:08 PM
I’m done. Hung a half a dozen jugs for the last week and boiled down 30 gallons in my garage on propane burner. Garage smells great! Just pulled the taps from trees and about to go finish it off in the kitchen.

Buddy 58
04-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Any body got a idea what to charge somebody to filter there syrup thru my filter press and let them bottle in my canner ??????

Buddy 58
07-17-2020, 12:26 PM
2147321473-------this-was-one-of-my-first-evaporators-----a-leader-2X4------sold-it-to-a-guy-who-never-used-it------wished-I-never-sold-it---------more-than-5-years-it-took-to-strike-a-deal-to-get-it-back------gonna-rebiuld-arch-with-stainless-I-have-left-from-rebiulding-my-3X10-----and-then-get-a-stainless-steel-pan-for-it

Buddy 58
07-18-2020, 03:53 PM
21474------finnished-stripping-arch-today

Buddy 58
07-19-2020, 10:44 AM
21475-----first-part-cut-and-bolted--------rear-of-ash-pit

maple flats
07-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Good start, it's all uphill from there!

Buddy 58
07-19-2020, 05:48 PM
Got-one-side-laid-out----will-re-check-measurements---before-cutting-tomorrow-----to-dam-hot-today-

Buddy 58
07-20-2020, 02:34 PM
------got-both-sides-cut-and-marked-for-bending-----will-add-pic-tomorrow

Buddy 58
07-21-2020, 11:53 AM
21477[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]21478-----got-a-little-trimming-to-do-----but-it-is-coming-together-nicely-----did-sides-whole-----sides-were-put-together-with-rivets--before-------whicth-leads-me-to-think-its-older-than-the-3x10-I-did-last-year----

Buddy 58
07-22-2020, 01:25 PM
-----been-drilling-holes-today--and------------sharping----drills------------------three-holes-to-go-on-right-side-------just-sharpened-3-----1/4-inch-drills--againnnnn

maple flats
07-22-2020, 07:45 PM
Your arch looks exactly like mine and mine was new (previous owner) in early '91, thus it may have been built in'90. I don't know how long they used that specific casting and such. I doubt it was a new casting pattern in '90.
If you use good cobalt bits, (not just coated) they will hold up much longer on SS. I recently ordered 3 sets from Drills&cutters.com in cobalt. I don't see the exact sets I ordered but they have several options. The ones I ordered, started out being just select sizes to fill in 2 sets I had with missing bits but as I added them it looked far better to just order 3 new sets, 29pc each. The quality looks good but they have not really been tested yet.

Buddy 58
07-22-2020, 08:14 PM
------On-the-front-top-of-casting------all-that-is-lettered--is----Leader-Evaporator-Comp.-------nothing-else-----have-seen-several-in-my-life-time---usually-something-else-was-below--------My-3x10-I-have-been-able-to-date-to-late-40s--early-50s---red-wood-handles---lettered----COOKS_HARDWARE----Which-today-is--Deruyter-Country-Haedware
----My-3x10-was-all-nut&bolt----this-2x4----they-used-steel-rivits-----

Buddy 58
07-23-2020, 01:43 PM
-----Dam-drill-doctor-quit-working

maple flats
07-23-2020, 04:42 PM
Ouch, I've been using one since about 1992 or 93. My first one was a 500 (up to 1/2" bits) then I bought a 750 (up to 3/4" bits) My 500 still does ok, but unfortunately I don't think the diamond wheel is replaceable, that's the biggest reason I got the 750. I only rarely sharpen bits above 1/2" but the ability to change the diamond grinding wheel is a huge plus. I'm on my 2nd one, but barely used it so far. The first one last about 16-18 years.
Correction, I just checked, new grinding wheels are now available. I checked years ago and they weren't for the 500.

Buddy 58
07-25-2020, 03:14 PM
-----sharpened-drills-the-old-fashion-way----on-my-fine-wheeled-grinder-------been-along-time-since-I-have-done-that------sides-are-done------will-start-on-the-floor-of-it-tomorrow

Buddy 58
07-27-2020, 11:57 AM
21481----floor-is-in-----just-one-more-piece-to-do

DrTimPerkins
07-27-2020, 01:26 PM
----floor-is-in-----just-one-more-piece-to-do

Looking good. Worth it's weight in drill bits!

Buddy 58
07-27-2020, 02:24 PM
------Good-one-----thanks-Dr.-TIM

Buddy 58
07-28-2020, 08:57 AM
21482----last-piece-cut-bent-and-ready-to-be-put-on-----it-doubles-the-ramp-as-well-as-seals-it-----

Buddy 58
07-28-2020, 11:44 AM
0214832148421485-------Finnished----

DrTimPerkins
07-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Sure looks a lot better than when you started. Nice job.

Buddy 58
07-28-2020, 12:26 PM
Sure looks a lot better than when you started. Nice job.------Now-to-make-a-stainless-base-stack-for-it

Buddy 58
07-28-2020, 01:37 PM
---2148621487-----this-is-the-old-base-stack---it-was-put-together-in-two-pieces-----a-seam-on-both-sides-----I-slowly-got-one-of-the-seams-opened-up-a-little-and-soaking-in-PB-blaster--------this-ought-to-prove-a-interesting-part-of-the-rebiuld

Buddy 58
07-28-2020, 02:59 PM
2148821489-----was-able-to-get-seams-to-separate-with-no-rips-or-tears-----

Buddy 58
07-29-2020, 10:21 AM
21490--------made-a-wood-form-that-fits-old-pieces--------Lets-see-if-it-works------

Pdiamond
07-29-2020, 08:02 PM
That is a really good idea. You have done very well on your refurbish of this arch. Is that a GSP in your picture?

Buddy 58
07-29-2020, 10:00 PM
That is a really good idea. You have done very well on your refurbish of this arch. Is that a GSP in your picture?-----GSP---if-your-refering-to-dog-----Black-blue-tick---breeding--(Morris-blue-river-boomer)-------if-you-go-back-to-pages-5-6-7------I-documented-my-3x10-I-rebiult------had-enough-stainless-left-to-do-this-2x4

Buddy 58
07-30-2020, 11:42 AM
21491[ATTACH-------two-pieces-clamped-together----exactly-the-same-size------lets-see-what-magic-can-happen-next---haha

Pdiamond
07-30-2020, 07:58 PM
I was referring to the dog, it looks a lot like my german short hair.

Buddy 58
08-10-2020, 02:18 PM
------getting-my-own-sheet-metal-brake--if-plans-go-good-gonna-pick-it-up-saturday-morning-----that-is-how-I-will-finnish-base-stack----

Buddy 58
08-15-2020, 10:56 AM
0----got-the-brake-moved-home-this-morning------every-thing-went-good------21498

WMF
08-15-2020, 04:52 PM
Sweet! Is that a 1016 ? Looks like it found a good home.

Buddy 58
08-15-2020, 05:38 PM
------Its-a-8-16----very-good-shape---It-was-in-Pompey,NY----I-am-in-Whitney-Point-NY----about-an-hour-away------there-is-no-tag-on-it---but-I-belive-its-a-Cornish--made-in-Buffalo,NY

WMF
08-15-2020, 06:42 PM
Looks like a Chicago, I have an old Chicago 818 and the legs and castings look exactly the same. The Chicago's have a round brass tag with a single rivet in the center located on the right side casting near where the clamping pivot is. Many times they are gone but usually the rivet hole is there.

Buddy 58
08-15-2020, 10:32 PM
-----there-is-no-rivet-or-rivet-hole-where-one-would-be-------I-miss-spoke-when-I-said-it-was-a-8-16--------the-guy-who-I-got-it-from-said-it-would-bend-16-gauge---thanks-for-your-input

Buddy 58
08-16-2020, 01:43 PM
----It-is-a---(Chicago)---found-lettering-on-it-at-the-tighting-levers--around-the-round-part-of-it------must-be-before-they-used--rivet-and-tag

Buddy 58
08-16-2020, 02:37 PM
214992150021501------almost-done-with-baes-stack----got-to-get-some-stainless-rivets-and-round-out-the-bottom-a-little

Buddy 58
08-17-2020, 12:50 PM
2150221503-----Finnised-the-base-stack-this-morning-----If-there-is-any-one-in-my-area-that-needs-a-arch-redone---I-would-be-glad-to-work-with-you----!!!!!

DrTimPerkins
08-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Looks real nice.

Buddy 58
08-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Looks real nice.----Thanks-Dr.-Timhttp://mapletrader.com/community/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=385834

WMF
08-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Looks great, that arch will last a lifetime if kept dry.
I think the brake you may have been thinking yours was is a Cornice truss brake made in Buffalo. They made them out of a combination of wood and steel for years then went to all steel.
I love old USA made equipment, you will be able to use it as long as you want and then sell it for a profit as long as you keep it dry.

Buddy 58
08-17-2020, 04:42 PM
-----I-found-lettering-on-it----on-the-tighing-handle---round-part-----Dreius&krump--Chicago---NO.8

Buddy 58
08-19-2020, 12:07 PM
21506---Got-it-moved-to-the-sugar-house-today---

maple flats
08-20-2020, 08:25 AM
Not sure what make it is, but that brake looks exactly like the Brake my local tin shop uses. Theirs is a 10 or 10.5' I believe. They have a 3' table directly behind it to support larger sheets. Back in the 90's I used it a lot in my furnace business. The owner at that time was the grandfather of the currant owner. Gramps loved to talk and had loads of wisdom to take in. The only problem was when I needed to get something done quick it took about 60-90+ minutes to get out. He died in 2010 at age 80, about 2 years after going into semi-retirement. Up until about 1 month prior to his death he still worked for 2-3 hrs each morning at the shop.

Buddy 58
08-24-2020, 10:36 AM
-----Ordered-the-pan-this-morning----From-Badgerland-mapleworks---who-is-owned-by---Smokey-lake-mapleworks-----will-be-two-weeks-anyway--they-have-to-biuld-it----was-on-phone-with-them-----special-order-------3-feet--117/8--inch

Buddy 58
09-09-2020, 11:47 AM
2152421525----Look-what-I-found---Its-a-sheet-metal-crimper---and--beader----made-by--Niagra--M&T-works--for--Peck-&-Stow-----for--putting-the-crimp-in-stove-pipe-----just-need-to-find-a-sheet-metal-slip-form-roller---at-a-decent-price-------expecting-word-on-the-pan---if-they-hold-true-to-there-word----

DrTimPerkins
09-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Nice find. Keep your fingers away from the business end. :D

WMF
09-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Another great old USA made tool. The crimping dies should go on the shaft before the beading dies so it makes a shoulder after the crimp. You can use just the crimping dies or just the beading dies if you make some spacers. These machines would have come with the spacers when new but they usually get lost over the years.

Buddy 58
09-09-2020, 03:45 PM
---the-spacers-did-come-with-it-----put-them-in-safe-place-as-not-to-get-lost-----and-have-located-a-slip-form-roller-for-a-real-decent-price

WMF
09-09-2020, 11:23 PM
If you don't have one already keep your eye out for a Genuine made in USA Beverly shear. They make cutting metal so easy and they will last forever if cared for.

Buddy 58
09-10-2020, 05:40 PM
----picking-up-the-sheet-metal-roller-in-the-morning-------Got-word-from---Bagderland-Maple-works-----pan-is-done-and-shipped-this-morning---should-be-here-Monday

Buddy 58
09-11-2020, 11:44 AM
----Here-is-the--sheet-metal-roller------Niagra2152821529-----got-it-for-$250----normaly-around-here-they-go-at-$600-any-way

Buddy 58
09-14-2020, 12:19 PM
21533215342153521536---the-pan-came-this-morning---Realy-nice-----just-have-to-put-ceramic-gasket-under-it---they-are-a-realy-nice-place-to-deal-with!21537

Buddy 58
09-15-2020, 08:55 AM
2153821539------Before---and----after!

to100
09-15-2020, 03:24 PM
Why do you want 2 evaporators and what else are you going to put on it?
Is this a pre heater for the other?

Buddy 58
09-15-2020, 04:35 PM
---this-small-2x4-is-for-cooking-off-my-3x10-at-end-of-sason----instead-of-using-propane-----it-was-one-of-my-first-evaps---sold-it-to-a-guy-who-never-used-it---took-a-long-time-to-get-it-back-----its-not-the-first-time-of-having-two---there-was-a-time-a-3x8-sat-next-to-the-3x10-----they-were-piped-together---if-you-dont-have-a-ro----more-boiling---sap-gose-quicker----I-have-made-some-of-my-lightest-syrup-running-two-at-a-time----piped-together---the-2x-4--will-make-some-one-a-nice-back-yarder-or-a-young-pup-to-start-with-when-its-time-to-retire-from-it

to100
09-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Thanks for replying, confirmed what I thought with more details.

Buddy 58
12-23-2020, 01:37 PM
well--I-dont-know-about-anybody-else----but-where-I-am-every-thing-is-buried-in-snow!-----36-to-44-inches-across-the-region-here.---got-drive-way-to-sugar-house-open.--put-a-bigger-plow-on-my-log-skidder----whitch-was-ment-for-only-heavy-snow-----wham---we-got-it!!!!2168021681216822168321684

Buddy 58
12-30-2020, 01:19 PM
Started-fixing-main-lines-today-----that-deep-snow-when-it-melted-down--also-took-lines-down-to!!

Buddy 58
02-10-2021, 06:03 PM
---------Cold--Cold-Cold------and-more-snow-coming------the-season-will-happen--but-when---??????

buddy58
02-19-2021, 11:59 AM
-----probably--gonna-start-tapping-tomorrow

buddy58
02-20-2021, 12:43 PM
----got-started-tapping-today-------snow-is-two-feet-deep-any-way------snowshoes---:lol:

buddy58
02-21-2021, 01:13 PM
----well-tapping-has-been-going-well------untill-this-after-noon-----crossing-a-creek-----went-thru----up-to-my-***-----as-cold-as-it-been-didnt-think-twice-about-walking-on-the-snow-covered-ice--------long-walk-out---cold-and-wet--------home-now----warming-my-feet----boots-were-full-of-water

buddy58
02-22-2021, 07:48 AM
-----got-my-boots-dried-out-over-night---have-one-of-those-(PEET)-boot-dryers------back-to-tapping

buddy58
02-27-2021, 02:33 PM
-----went-and-got-samples-from-3-places-I-tap--------1.9------1.9-----1.8---------what-are-others-seeing---------tested-on-my-Hanna-Refractometer

buddy58
02-28-2021, 01:28 PM
------finnnaly-finnished-tapping-today----had-some-issues-come-up---that-delayed-me-on-some

antelope76
03-01-2021, 01:36 PM
Got 82 buckets tapped yesterday. 32 in Broome County and 50 one road over in Delaware County. Some were running most were still froze up.

buddy58
03-01-2021, 04:24 PM
----good-to-see-some-one-else-here-----just-came-back-from-collecting-tanks---got-alittle-over-400-gallons---all-in-ground-tank-at-shack----will-pump-up-to--head-tank-Wednesday---gonna-be-cold-tomorrow-and-windy------it-will-keep

buddy58
03-03-2021, 03:11 PM
-------not-so-goog-of-a-day------got-pumped-up-and-was=setting-floats------front-pan-float-arm-broke----got-pissed-off----studied-the-situation----sadd-screw-it-----spent-rest-of-day-making-a-new-one----back-at-it-tomorrow

buddy58
03-04-2021, 03:32 PM
------new-float-arm--worked-great------fired-up-at-10-am----if-it-was-in-head-tank-----its-all-in-the-evaporator----cold-for-afew-days-----next-week-looks-good

buddy58
03-07-2021, 04:16 PM
------Just-waiting-for-the-sap-to-flow-----this-week-should-be-good

buddy58
03-08-2021, 02:34 PM
----got-one-southern-slope-bush-running-today----the-other-placecs-I-tap-are-just-barely-running---hope-tomorrow-every-things-getgoing-good

tombaisley
03-09-2021, 05:47 PM
How did the sap flow today (Tuesday), Did not flow well at all in Afton

buddy58
03-09-2021, 07:37 PM
----over-here-in-Whitney-Point----by-mid-day----all-places-I-tap-were-doing-good----and-sugar-content---is-up

buddy58
03-10-2021, 07:03 AM
22186---sap-gonna-run-today!!!!!!!!!!------I-tap-4-different-places-----sugar-is-getting-better----#1-2.3---#2-2.7---#3-2.1---#4-2.4

buddy58
03-11-2021, 05:55 AM
----heading-out-to-collect-what-sap-ran-thru-the-night-----hope-to-to-be-fired-up-by---9:00-this-morning

buddy58
03-11-2021, 02:08 PM
2220122202222032220422204----------Things-went-well-today-----late-start-this-year----but--mother-nature-is-in-control----haha

buddy58
03-12-2021, 04:03 PM
-----went-and-collected-what-was-in-tanks-this-morning-and-had-coulpe-hundred-gallons-so-fired-up----and-if-it-was-in-head-tank----its-now-in-evap-----had-two-draws------sugar-droped-back-to----2.0

buddy58
03-14-2021, 09:00 AM
-----drianed-front-pan-yesterday---and-cleaned-it-----not-much-niter-biuld-up.------will-collect-late-this-after-noon-what-ran-yesterday-and-today

YBSean
03-14-2021, 12:45 PM
1 gall/tap on 3/16 between yesterday afternoon and this morn. That was a surprise. Buckets finally filling also. Unexpected boiling day in Tompkins

buddy58
03-14-2021, 05:25 PM
----I-went-and-collected-all-my-tanks----as-it-was-cooling-down-this-evening---just-went-to-31-degrees-here----and-gonna-get-down-colder-tonight---had-little-over-200-gallons---supposed-to-stay-cold-tomorrow-----so-it-will-keep--thru-the-week-looks-good-for-runs----sugar-up-a-little----2.1

buddy58
03-15-2021, 05:09 PM
----made-a-small-fire-in-evap-this-after-noon-and-thawed-it-out--------cold-again-tonight------lets-see-what-the-week-brings

antelope76
02-28-2022, 09:11 AM
Got all my buckets hung this weekend-99 total. I may have to throw 1 more out to make an even 100.

Southerly trees were running pretty good yesterday while tapping. My northerly trees are still froze up.

antelope76
02-21-2023, 08:49 AM
Got 103 buckets hung Saturday and collected 125 gallons off them last night. They were still running good at 6:00 pm.

antelope76
02-25-2024, 04:01 PM
103 buckets hung today. Taps in Southerly face of trees were dripping good.

antelope76
02-28-2024, 06:48 AM
Collected 220 gallons off 106 buckets last night 2/27 that were tapped Sunday 2/25.

antelope76
03-03-2024, 07:05 PM
Amazing first week. 545 gallons collected, 480gallons processed and 9 gallons finished syrup.