PDA

View Full Version : Welder called with some bad news

Drew Pond Maple
01-31-2014, 08:12 PM
A couple of weeks ago I brought my pans to a welder to have some repairs and upgrades done.
Wanted some holes drilled in side of pans for thermometer and a float box and have two partition welded in the syrup pan.
So after three unreturned phone calls I finally get to talk to someone today and he tells me "we had a little problem".
He says that he only welded one partition cuz the pan warped really bad and wants me to look at it before he goes any further. I have not seen it yet so I don't know how bad it is.
Am I in big trouble if it is warped bad?
The pan is CDL flue pan and syrup pan that is one unit, so I can't just buy a new syrup pan. It's all one. Can a welder/fabricator cut the bottom of the pan off and weld new one on if it's real bad?
I'm Going to see it Monday morning. I'll post the condition

Also can anybody recommend a good welder in central N.H.? Plymouth, Concord

BlueberryHill
01-31-2014, 08:18 PM
I know he is a busy guy, and he is not super close to you. But really he is not terribly far and he builds nice pans so should have no problem fixing one if it's fixable.

http://www.wfmasonwelding.com/

Good luck!

acrete
01-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Gage industries in Boscawen. 731-5352

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

tuckermtn
01-31-2014, 08:52 PM
bob Lapoint works on pans. Skilled tinsmith. in New Boston or Francistown. PM me for his number.

BAP
02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I would look for a welder that is capable of welding food grade stainless. They will be able to weld it without ruining the pan. It is much trickier to weld food grade stainless than other steel. Many guys who weld claim they can do it, but in reality they have no idea what they are doing. A TIG welder works the best. If you can't find anybody from the people already suggested, look up restaurant equipment repair and you might find somebody.

village idiot
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
John Andress from Andress Sheet Metal. Great guy, unbelievable workmanship, his can do/fix anything. He's in Enfield NH. PM for his #

Drew Pond Maple
02-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I went and saw my pan on tuesday and it's not as bad as I thought. Still not ready.
The welder said the stainless is too thin and warped everytime he put heat to it. I don't know if that's true or not.
Only did one partition, and looked pretty crude, like bubble gum welds but says it won't leak.
Everything else looks great. I'll try to post a pic when I pick up next week if I can figure out how to do it from iPod

heus
02-08-2014, 02:34 AM
He obviously is not skilled enough to weld pans.

richwilly
02-08-2014, 06:05 AM
I would go get your pan and take it somewhere else before you have a mess on your hands.

cpmaple
02-08-2014, 06:33 AM
I have to agree with a lot of other members on this one I would pick my pan up before you end up with a pile of scrap metal. Most gentleman I know that weld this thin metal use very low heat and have a cooling blanket under it to pull the heat out of the metal so it don't warp. The other method is to weld it very slow and let it cool but like all have said its and art not something you just do over night. Hoping for the best for you but my 2 cents get you pan to someone that is skilled in welding thin metal together before you don't have a pan to use.

red maples
02-08-2014, 06:55 AM
I would go to the first person that was mentioned. Bill Mason. I have seen his work. Excellent to say the least. He Makes pans as well as other things, hoods preheaters etc. (I am thinking about having a hood and preheater made for my evap next year pending funds) although he is a bit of a drive from you. get that thing out of that shop before he really messes it up.

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I would love to get the pan out of there but where it's getting real close to tapping time I don't feel another welder will be able to get it finished in time as I'm sure everyone is booked out a while.
Unfortunately the damage is done. He said it will be done next week guaranteed.Maybe just deal with it for this season and run the syrup level a little deeper.
I will contact some of these welders to see what my options are to remedy this after this season is over. I will hope that the bottom of the pan could be cut off and replaced.

This was a hard lesson learned

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I would look for a welder that is capable of welding food grade stainless. They will be able to weld it without ruining the pan. It is much trickier to weld food grade stainless than other steel. Many guys who weld claim they can do it, but in reality they have no idea what they are doing. A TIG welder works the best. If you can't find anybody from the people already suggested, look up restaurant equipment repair and you might find somebody.I never realized that there was food grade stainless. Thought it was just stainless. I'm not doubting you BAP, but can anyone else comment on this?

BreezyHill
02-08-2014, 01:27 PM
There are many different blends or families of stainless series 300 most commonly used for food equipment, 200 series is less expensive and will corrode in time. 400 series is magnetic due to its blend is lacking nickel. Most all stainless can be sanitized so it can be food safe.

Hope this sheds some light.

Ben

wiam
02-08-2014, 02:00 PM
I would go to the first person that was mentioned. Bill Mason. I have seen his work. Excellent to say the least. He Makes pans as well as other things, hoods preheaters etc. (I am thinking about having a hood and preheater made for my evap next year pending funds) although he is a bit of a drive from you. get that thing out of that shop before he really messes it up.

Love Bill's work. Emailed him in April. He was going to pick up my pans to redo connections. Still waiting.

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2014, 06:15 PM
wiam I'm confused. You say you emailed him in April? He hasn't picked up your pans yet? Hasnt it been 10 months?

Big_Eddy
02-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Don't let him screw it up more. He clearly doesn't know how to weld thus material. If you have no option have him spot weld the divider in a few spots and take it home. There is no need for a continuous weld.

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Don't let him screw it up more. He clearly doesn't know how to weld thus material. If you have no option have him spot weld the divider in a few spots and take it home. There is no need for a continuous weld.I thought full seam welding would prevent mixing of the gradiant? That's why I chose to have the welding done in the first place, so the sap wouldn't mix

wiam
02-08-2014, 08:05 PM
wiam I'm confused. You say you emailed him in April? He hasn't picked up your pans yet? Hasnt it been 10 months?

Correct. I have heard he is way too busy.

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Just googled Porter Maine. Actually not that far from Plymouth NH. Maybe 1 hour +
Just over the border from Ossipee NH. I thought it was like in down east Maine, 5 hr. away

Not to dis any of the other welders that you all have given me, but I think I might call Bill Mason first. After all this guy makes syrup pans. I won't contact him til after this season is over.

Also, I can't figure out how to post a pic using iPhone or iPod. Anyone know how?
If so I can post a pic of how bad the welds are

Big_Eddy
02-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Continuous welding versus spot welding each have their fans. If there is any flange at all and the spot welds are at reasonable spacing there will be no mixing at all during boiling. The small seam under the flange will seal itself with sugar on the first boil and then it is as if it was seam welded. Hundreds and hundreds of pans out there with spot welded dividers and they all make good syrup. Even if there is a little leakage it really isn't going to matter.