PDA

View Full Version : Group buy to save on shipping??

Indiana-Jones
01-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi, what is everybody here in Indiana doing ordering containers and supplies. I'm getting ready to order bottles and shipping is just about as high as the glass. This is late to start this discussion but is there anybody here in central Indiana that would like to talk about working together on putting orders together to save on shipping or maybe getting together, driving up to Mich. and splitting the gas?

I have been using 8 and 12 oz glass syrup bottles from Sugarbush supply at Mason Mich. I buy most all of my supplies there. Last year they delivered my order to me (free) here at Terre Haute during the Indiana Maple Convention that was held here. I'm a small timer, I need about 16 cases of each, 8's and 12's.

Is there a place in Indiana that sells glass that is closer?

Thanks

maplefarmer
01-31-2014, 09:09 PM
I get my glass handle jars and maple jugs as well as other supplies from Dodd's sugar shack in Niles Mi. phone # 2696833283, he will ship also, and his shipping price seems reasonable. hope this helps

Indiana-Jones
02-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the help Maplefarmer. I checked them out on the map and it wouldn't be a too bad of a drive from Terre Haute, if it comes to that. It sure would be nice to have a maple supply house in central Indiana.

Yesterday I went to a restaurant supply house to see if they had a vendor that sold syrup bottles. I have not heard back from them yet. Maybe they could tack my glass onto a larger order.

Have a great season.

kiteflyingeek
02-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Indiana-Jones,

Bummer! I was up there in early November and could have picked them up for you. Maybe we could work something out for next season? My aunt lives near SBS so I could pickup an order if you haven't early enough.

--andrew

Indiana-Jones
02-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I screwed myself. I really thought that I was going to sit this season out, so I didn't get much done over the summer. Now that the season is here, I can't help myself, I gotta tap trees and boil. So today I'm out in the rain washing tanks and fixing leaks.

This late start of the weather is working to my advantage.

Thanks for the offer of the transportation.

ericjeeper
02-09-2014, 09:57 PM
I wish I had thought to advertise here earlier.. I had 2 pallets of glass 12 ounce bottles delivered back in December. The shipping alone was $345.. I would have gladly added more bottles to save you guys some money.And would have saved on shipping myself.

The Birdman
02-10-2014, 08:49 AM
sks bottle .com free shipping on orders over 250.00

Indiana-Jones
02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Hey there Birdman,
Have you ordered from SKS before and were you happy?

The Birdman
02-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Not yet, I was looking for bottles and came a cross them, and it's easy to spend 250. Blue sky beekeeping supply has plastic syrup containers, they will be coming to Indy Feb 22, they will bring your order with them for pick up.

ericjeeper
02-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Sure SKS offers free shipping on orders over 250$. But I can buy the bottles cheap enough elsewhere including me paying the shipping.
I spent $6,000.00 on bottles last year.. I wish I would have found Gamber container sooner.

The Birdman
02-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info,the price's look great, how are their shipping charge's or have you ordered from them yet?

Mark72
02-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Gambler container is the only place to buy. That is where I've been getting my bottles. Some friends and myself usually buy pallet quantities. You have to be a dealer to buy the sugar hill jugs from their other division.

Mark

firetech
02-28-2014, 08:59 AM
I maybe able to help. I have to run down near Terre Haute to pick up a tractor front end. I'll be coming down empty. If you need to place an order from Sugarbush I can haul it down. Hoping to get it done in the next couple of weeks or just after maple season. Give me a PM message.

Indiana-Jones
03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Birdman, I order bottles from SKS and caps from Sugarbush Supplies. I got the free shipping from SKS, but I don't like the black plastic caps they have and for a metal cap they wanted .26 each. I ordered today. We will see how it goes.

Chris

Logan Cabin
03-26-2014, 12:33 PM
We've ordered the syrup ovals from SugarBush Supplies and had good luck with them. Certainly the case price looks better at Gamber (http://www.gambercontainer.com/store/glass-containers/syrup-bottles/12-oz-syrup-bottle). Gamber $7.13 (no caps) versus $9.50 (caps included) at SB. Shipping from Michigan would have to be better than shipping from PA.

Also had good luck using pint Ball Mason Jars. They're not great to pour from, but are available locally with no shipping. Right now Menard's has them for $7.49 a case with the 11% rebate, gets you down to 56 cents per bottle. Rebate available through this Saturday.

Birdman, how's your season going. It's been slow for us, creeping up on 20 gallons finished compared to last year's 30 gallons total. Had more taps out this year as well. No sign of trees budding out yet, but I'm guessing that could change pretty quickly in the next couple of days. Hadn't had a chance to post this year, tough winter all around.