PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 2x6 Grimm arch

Pweideman
01-30-2014, 07:03 AM
I found a 2x6 Grimm arch for sale but I don't know if it's a good deal. The pics I've seen look good. It has all the fire brick. The boiling pan is not divided. It's one big pan and it comes with a complete vented hood that sits on the pan with side access doors. Seems difficult to work with one open pan and why a hood? Anyone experienced with this arch? How much is it worth? I can run up to 200 taps so the size seems right.

Paul

twin6
01-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Can you posts any photos? That would help generate more focused responses to your questions. Is this stainless steel or English tin? Grimm made countless 2 by 6's over many decades with English tin pans, and as you've no doubt read elsewhere on this site, stainless is the norm if not the law depending on location.

Pweideman
01-30-2014, 02:55 PM

I found a 2x6 Grimm arch for sale but I don't know if it's a good deal. The pics I've seen look good. It has all the fire brick. The boiling pan is not divided. It's one big pan and it comes with a complete vented hood that sits on the pan with side access doors. Seems difficult to work with one open pan and why a hood? Anyone experienced with this arch? How much is it worth? I can run up to 200 taps so the size seems right.

Paul

Pweideman
01-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes, it's stainless.

michiganphil
01-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Used 2x6's with flue and syrup pan setups probably go around $2,500.
Bascoms has a re-sheeted 2x6 arch that they are asking $1200. Usually a 2x6 flat pan is around $500. You could look at a new GBM...they're not the fanciest arch, but a 2x6 flat pan set up is less than $2,000.

That being said, used stuff in Michigan can be hard to come by...

jmayerl
01-31-2014, 04:10 PM
I had something very similar but with much better pans and a blower that I sold a few years ago for 1500. It's worth $1000, I wouldn't pay any more than that.

Pweideman
01-31-2014, 05:16 PM
I had something very similar but with much better pans and a blower that I sold a few years ago for 1500. It's worth $1000, I wouldn't pay any more than that.

Thanks. It's advertised for $995 but they will take $800 because I would have to spend $400 in fuel to go get it and haul it home. I am working on plans to build a 2' x 5' block arch with 4 stainless pans for a lot less money.

twin6
02-01-2014, 06:22 AM
The arch is definitely something you could use as the foundation for a great setup, but the pan is the limiting factor right now. You'd be doing batch boils, which for small rigs from 2'x2' to 2'4' is ok but handling a 2'x6' for batches is going to be challenging. I've got a 2'x5' continuous flow flat bottomed pan, and can manage draining it solo in the few times I need to each season. The hood? This is a nice addition over a flue pan, especially if you have a preheater under it, but over a pan like this really makes no sense - like having a spoiler/airfoil on a VW beetle. Price seems fair, especially if you have 200 taps and want to start with 50 or so this year, then sell the pan and get separate syrup and flue pans next year - an invitation to spend more money, yes, but you'd end up with a great setup. My .02