PDA

View Full Version : raised flu vs. drop flu need suggestios

Lightner92
01-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Well my plan is to upgrade to an A & A metal shop 2x6 evaporator. I just sold my hobby 2x4 yesterday, from A &A that I was very happy with. I snail mailed Atlee today, hoping to hear from him by the end of the week. My question is do I want the raised flu or the drop flu, and the air tight front. I'm upgading so I can cut my boil time down, so Im pretty sure Im going to spend the extra $225 for the air tight front. So that leaves me with my orginal question, raised or drop flu? I know what both look like, but what is the difference in the way they work. Basically what are the pros or cons of either one. I always seem to get great advice from you guys, so have at her. Thanks

jmayerl
01-29-2014, 05:43 PM
In the upper right hand corner you will find a search box, type in "raised vs drop" you will then get about 5 pages of this exact discussion. I think it has been cover many, many times.

wdchuck
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I hope you aren't banking on getting that new evaporator anytime soon. Talked with Atlee last week- he's swamped!

stewardsdairy
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Drop flue has one float to control both pans which can be an advantage or disadvantage. With a raised you less apt to damage flues while throwing in wood. A raised flue sits a little higher than a drop. I have always used a raised flue, I think it is personal preference.

Lightner92
01-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Did Atlee mention how far behind he was, I know he told me the same thing when I bought my last evaporator and it ended up being done in less than a week.