PDA

View Full Version : Lapp two post R.O

Greenwich Maple Man
01-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Wondering what others are getting for sugar content through a Lapp. two post machine ?

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Randy could really answer that question but I remember him going to 13% pretty easy

sjdoyon
01-29-2014, 06:16 PM
We easily run around 12% but our sugar content coming into the sugarhouse is 2-3%. We usually try to run a second pass up to 18-20% if we have time.

Wondering what others are getting for sugar content through a Lapp. two post machine ?

Greenwich Maple Man
01-29-2014, 06:26 PM
What size feed pump and hp pump do you run ?

sjdoyon
01-30-2014, 06:53 PM
1 Hp feed pump and 5 HP high pressure pump

What size feed pump and hp pump do you run ?

Brian Ryther
01-30-2014, 07:26 PM
I single pass to 15% whenever I can. I like the way 15% boils. If I get behind on the raw sap consumption then I loosen it up to match the evap consumption. Some where between 4-5 gpm on the concentrate side. Depending on raw sap sugar it usually means 8%.

Greenwich Maple Man
01-30-2014, 08:39 PM
I single pass to 15% whenever I can. I like the way 15% boils. If I get behind on the raw sap consumption then I loosen it up to match the evap consumption. Some where between 4-5 gpm on the concentrate side. Depending on raw sap sugar it usually means 8%.

Brian, If you were not trying to keep up with your rig could you maintain 15% regularly? What size pumps do you have ?

maplwrks
01-31-2014, 06:01 AM
My first question is--Is this a true 1200 or expanded 600? I've been running an expanded 600 for 12 years now, and find that with the new E8 membranes that I can go to 12%-15% easily in 1 pass. Bear in mind that you are choking the crap out of that machine to do it. My suggestion would be to recirc for a short time and then squeeze it down to match your evaporator. When I do this, I can get to 15-18% like nothing. I have always recirced to my tank, and last year I made a drastic change for me, which was to recirc for a shorter time, and squeeze it down when ready to boil. The time I would let it recirc would equate to the time it would take me to get ready to boil....maybe an hour?

Brian Ryther
01-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Brian, If you were not trying to keep up with your rig could you maintain 15% regularly? What size pumps do you have ?
Yes. There are two 5hp high pressure pumps. I typically fill my 500 gal evap feed tank with 15% then start the evaporator. Continue to run the ro at 15%, about 2gpm, until the evap feed tank is almost empty. Then loosen the ro up to match the evap consumption, 4-5gpm, to get to the bottom of the raw sap tank.
I hope by next season I will be able to afford a third hp pump and two more towers. I think with that set up I will be able to match the evap closer.

spud
01-31-2014, 07:16 AM
Yes. There are two 5hp high pressure pumps. I typically fill my 500 gal evap feed tank with 15% then start the evaporator. Continue to run the ro at 15%, about 2gpm, until the evap feed tank is almost empty. Then loosen the ro up to match the evap consumption, 4-5gpm, to get to the bottom of the raw sap tank.
I hope by next season I will be able to afford a third hp pump and two more towers. I think with that set up I will be able to match the evap closer.

So running at 15% you get 60 gallons per post per hour? How much sap can you boil per hour in the big 6x16 rig? How long can 15% sap sit around before boiling without losing a grade?

Spud