PDA

View Full Version : New guy from NH

Sidehillblueberries
01-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Been lurking, reading, and catching up, figured it was time to say hello. Live in NH, split between Keene and Lisbon right now.
Grew up helping my grandfather do things from logging to sugaring with traditional methods. He sugared with horse and scoot, wooden buckets
and no power anything. Fast forward quite a bit, started a back yard operation with a friend, progressed from an oil drum and flat pan to a Leader
half pint and TOO many taps, man did we have fun. He moved, we sold most everything and I had no trees to tap. Couple weeks ago a young friend
and his dad were talking about trying to make some syrup in their back yard this spring, well looks like I'm back at it again and I can't wait!!

Shawn
01-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Good to hear your back into it. Interesting on your grandfather with the horse and scoot and wooden buckets, hopefully you got some keep sakes from him to remember him from.

optionguru
01-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Now there's a small world. I'm in Lisbon and my name is Peter. Did I post this and not even know it ??? Welcome to the site and I hope we both have a great season.

maple flats
01-28-2014, 03:06 PM
sidehill, welcome. I see in your avatar you have blueberries, how many? I have 4.5 acres and Thad Blaisdell has about 1.5 acres if memory serves me.
I think they are a good match to go with maple, from a growing aspect as well as in pancakes with some warm maple syrup on top.

Sidehillblueberries
01-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Now there's a small world. I'm in Lisbon and my name is Peter. Did I post this and not even know it ??? Welcome to the site and I hope we both have a great season.

Yup, up the road, around the corner and next drive after Ledge Rd. We will be tapping on Walker Hill just over the Littleton line....... a couple dozen buckets this year. We shall see after that.

lakeview maple
01-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Well Flats I think your absolutely right about blueberries and Maple Syrup going together, that's what we do to,must be a new trend starting.

optionguru
01-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Cool, I have my set up at my barn on Lyman Rd just below the pawn shop. Stop by during season if you see the steam rising, there's always plenty of beer.