PDA

View Full Version : Can you tap soon after pruning?

relseek
01-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Well guys, I came home last night to find two of my maple trees at the end of my driveway had been cut down by the power company's crew and a third had four or five branches cut off the one side. :mad: The tree is approx. 11 inches at chest height and still has a decent crown although lop-sided now(and it would have to be the south facing side of the tree that they pruned).the branches that were cut look to be maybe 2 or 3 inches in diameter. My question is is it safe to tap that tree this year or should I hold off and let it recover?

SWEETER CREATIONS
01-28-2014, 08:32 AM
According to Steve Childs (Cornell) as long as 25 % crown remains tap them but reduce the number of taps . This info based on the ice storm of 98 .

spud
01-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Go ahead and tap it. According to Dr. Tim the sugar is being stored in the roots and the trunk ( I assume lower trunk but could be wrong). As the roots take on new water from the ground that water flushes through the sugar giving you sugar in your sap. If you don't tap the tree then you will have some real sweet icicles hanging from where the branches were cut.

Spud

maple flats
01-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Put in 1 tap in each tree with a 5/15 tap hole. The cut off limb stubs will heal over fairly soon. Don't try to paint the cuts, let the tree heal itself. Those cuts are less damage to the tree than if the same limbs broke off with a super jagged break.

Green Hill Maple
01-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Just don't cut the branch collar off when removing limbs. Always try to trim branches back to laterals. The tree bleeding is no big deal, but at these current temps I doubt that's going to happen. If you trim during sugaring season with or without taps in the tree the wounds will bleed. 25% of the crown rule is correct for trimming, but if your tree is mature then you want to trim less of the crown then that.

relseek
01-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I was concerned that having the wounds from the pruning and losing sap from tapping would be too much