PDA

View Full Version : probably gonna be a late season...

DonMcJr
01-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Well the way the weathers been so cold im betting for a late starting season this year...what do you all think?

stewardsdairy
01-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Sure has been cold but we don't have much snow cover here so things could turn in a hurry. It is difficult working with tubing with all this cold and I am trying to add about 600 taps!

fishman
01-28-2014, 07:00 AM
Probably be tapping in early April and running until May in the UP. Pretty similar to last year. If I could make an accurate prediction about the weather I would be making a lot more money than I am now.:rolleyes:

Shawn
01-28-2014, 07:20 AM
I think your on Don, the cold weather is hanging on up here, we get a couple of warm ups but then right back down. Still sticking with tapping out the 16th of next month unless things change

Ausable
01-28-2014, 07:44 AM
In my little part of Michigan - It is an old fashioned Winter. Cold and Snow covered. -14F this am. We have had several mornings at about -20F. I'm happy not to live in the snow belt or in the U.P. of Michigan this Winter. So far - our "January Thaw" was one day above freezing. Just enough to be a mischief maker. But! It could suddenly change in February and be a normal First of March Start - LOL - Who knows. Right now - I'm hoping I have enough fire wood left and don't have to start using Sap Boiling wood to stay warm. Now that would be a Cold Winter. LOL -----"Global Warming" -- Bring it on. -----Mike-----

Lethalbowman
01-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Just outside Traverse City here in Grawn. We are having what long timers are calling a normal winter in our area. The last official snowfall total was 110" for our area. The road com however has us well past that as they take measurements at several locations and give an average. I have about 3' of snow all over our yard right now. I guessing I won't even get out to tap my trees until late February.

Mark
01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Probably be tapping in early April and running until May in the UP. Pretty similar to last year. If I could make an accurate prediction about the weather I would be making a lot more money than I am now.:rolleyes:

Our latitude is the same as Quebec City, what is the normal season is for them?

MISugarDaddy
01-28-2014, 02:07 PM
I am in Gaylord and they say we have now had 129" of snow this year so far. Based on my progress in this bitterly cold weather on our new sugarhouse, I hope it is mid March before we have to tap. We have over 3' of snow in the woods. My wife warned me to be careful how high I tap if the snow hasn't melted some by then because I may need a ladder to get up to the taps after the snow melts.

Mark
01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I am in Gaylord and they say we have now had 129" of snow this year so far. Based on my progress in this bitterly cold weather on our new sugarhouse, I hope it is mid March before we have to tap. We have over 3' of snow in the woods. My wife warned me to be careful how high I tap if the snow hasn't melted some by then because I may need a ladder to get up to the taps after the snow melts.

We have some 4 foot spout pullers that we use.

Tweegs
01-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Think I’ll step in the other direction and predict a normal start to a good season.

We’ve got a snow pack unlike I’ve seen since I was a kid (and we’re talking decades here), it came early and has hung on. It has insulated the ground from these brutal cold snaps to the point where there is little to no frost. I know this because my cheesy little blade I have on the back of the tractor is no match for the amount of snow we have. Used far more bucket than blade this year to move the stuff.

Now, on the odd occasion I’ve tilted the bucket a bit deep (the wife is gonna kill me when she sees how I’ve mangled her flower beds) I’ve come up with dirt and sod. Normally when I do that, this time of year, the old girl does a wheel stand in an attempt to buck me off (the tractor, not the wife…though she might give it some thought come spring).

The ground is soft; therefore, the snow melt will sink in before it runs off. Good moisture in the ground, I think, will translate to good sap runs. The cold won’t last, just because I say so.

Anyway, I’m going to put my chips on that spot and we’ll see where the marble falls.

Greenwich Maple Man
01-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Looks and feels like a normal winter! I don't see any reason why it would be late.

Spartazoo
01-29-2014, 08:16 AM
I was listening to Hannity yesterday in my office and he had a weather expert on to mainly discuss the Super Bowl weather impact. During the conversation he said more than once, the Midwest was in for a February that is worse than January. I am predicting a late start and long season...

sugar daddy 1
01-29-2014, 08:41 AM
To soon to tell, the ground isn't frozen, 4 or 5 days of warm weather can end it. I'll look but in 2003 we didn't tap till March 12

Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush
01-29-2014, 01:52 PM
The only thing I know for certain is that the trees will have access to plenty of moisture once all this white stuff melts. That is all I would put money on.

BoarsNest
01-29-2014, 07:09 PM
I sure hope it starts late. Normally I'm working at getting things ready, but with the snow and cold I am way behind. There might be something about a brand new granddaughter that has interrupted the process too!

markcasper
01-29-2014, 11:33 PM
I was listening to Hannity yesterday in my office and he had a weather expert on to mainly discuss the Super Bowl weather impact. During the conversation he said more than once, the Midwest was in for a February that is worse than January. I am predicting a late start and long season...I was listening to a meteoologist/scientist named Piers Corbin a few weeks ago who was pointing out the fraud and lie of global warming from CO2. He was talking of the winds around the sun and the particles from those winds that reflect the suns radiation. He said this is the reason for the cold blasts and this has everything to do with how the jet stream moves or does not move. He said February is going to be very, very cold in the midwest.

Run Forest Run!
01-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Don, it will certainly be interesting to see when things thaw out enough to start the season. We got snow in November and we haven't seen the ground since. I can't remember that ever happening in my lifetime before. Somewhere in the middle of tons of piled up snow is 1 1/2 inches of thick ice that knocked out our power for 5 days at Christmas. An old fashioned candlelight holiday was kind of fun, but darn chilly in the house. I'll be stepping over a sad bunch of downed tree limbs when I am finally able to tap. With temperatures and wind chills in the -20s and -30sC for what seems like weeks on end, I'm so happy that I managed to sneak away to thaw out a bit at the Barrett Jackson auction and a Leafs hockey game in Phoenix last week. What a treat.

jrgagne99
01-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I bet the recent cold weather is going to break after this latest cold snap. Thinking the season will have a normal start time.

P.S. Welcome back Don! (I thought you left for good at the end of last year...)

Four D Acre Farms
01-31-2014, 07:10 AM
First few years of sugaring i was wondering why the need for snow shoes? but this year (and last) i am wishing i had asked for some for Christmas!! Took the tractor (4wd) to try to get to the woods last fri and made it about 120 feet and decided better to turn around while making forward progress than to have to leave it where it stops till it thaws. Working on a trade for a snowmachine now. LOL I am seeing the same as tweegs as far as the ground here in top of the mit moved some snow in the yard and took sod with it (wife is going to be VERY upset when the snow melts) anywhere snow has been removed good frost in the ground but snowcover = little to no frost. I am guessing that when the temps break the trees will be ready to go.

Tweegs
01-31-2014, 08:37 PM
I’m hearing between 3 and 8 more inches coming tomorrow and there’s an ugly rumor of another foot Wednesday. I’m running out of room to put the stuff.

Driveway runs East/West so a North/South wind drifts me in, especially with half the drive exposed to open fields. Then there’s the twit out there helping me get to work…I really wish he weren’t quite so conscientious…plowing the road and all. I ‘spect he has a job to do, same as I, I just wish he’d refrain from putting it all at the end of my drive (or taking out the mailbox when he does the other side).

I’m good for wood at the house, but short about 4 cord for the shack. Need to cut tomorrow and figure on having to clear a path back in. Burning a bunch of diesel this year. Honestly though, I don’t mind cutting in deep snow, I can get through a log without driving the chain in the dirt. More cutting/less sharpening. The bugger is getting the logs out. I’m a little long in the tooth to be schlepping wood through deep snow and my jeans don’t give near enough to accommodate snow shoes (been packing a little extra insulation around the waistline, ‘tis winter, you know). I’m somewhat less than graceful in that regard anyway.

An average of 2 feet on the ground here, the New Englanders would scoff, I’m sure, but 2 feet here is like 2 inches in Atlanta…somebody is gonna get stuck somewhere and I sure hope it ain’t me. I prefer not being the spectacle. Oh, the truck isn’t a bother; folks get them stuck all the time, but get a tractor stuck and word gets about.:lol:

slybird353
02-01-2014, 04:59 PM
We have some 4 foot spout pullers that we use.
For you shorter guys?

Too Tall
02-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Hopefully there is a thaw soon. We just used up the last of our 2013 syrup for breakfast this morning. Poor planning on my part I guess. C'mon "warm" temps.

slybird353
02-02-2014, 12:04 PM
If the stop sign at the end of your road is any indication........ well you might just need 4 foot spout pullers !!!!

maple flats
02-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Hopefully there is a thaw soon. We just used up the last of our 2013 syrup for breakfast this morning. Poor planning on my part I guess. C'mon "warm" temps.
I still have inventory, all grades and I ship all over the country. If you have to wait on the weather too long and get twitchy, I can even ship by USPS's fastest method, I generally use USPS flat rate for smaller orders (up to 2 x 1/2 gal) and FedEx for 2 gal or more. However it's still going well, Another shipment of 4 gal Dark Amber going out tomorrow. I have lt, med, dk and B, while I won't ship it with no label, you can always remove my label after you get it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Too Tall
02-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks but that just wouldn't be right. It'd be like taking another guys wife to the movies. I'll wait a couple weeks until the flow starts.

pierre
02-05-2014, 07:54 PM
If the stop sign at thehttp://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=8618&d=1391364139 end of your road is any indication........ well you might just need 4 foot spout pullers !!!!it looks like that picture is put on look across the street its a foot deep, at my house all the banks are 5ft tall had to have the roof shoveled twice already been down to the bush got off tractor went to my assitsdeep

Ausable
02-06-2014, 06:10 AM
The Last Job I had - prior to retiring - was operating Hydro Electric Dams on the Ausable River in North East Michigan. Unless we start to get a few thaws to drop the snow amounts - The Boys at the Dams are going to have a wild and woolly Spring Run-off this year. Hard to believe tree tapping time is so close - with the Winter we have had. ------Mike------

adk1
02-06-2014, 07:53 AM
pretty crazy.. a foot of snow fell yesterday and 20 degrees. this morning 0 degrees.. Old man winter is flexing his muscles!

lpakiz
02-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Yeah, Mike,
I was thinking the same thing. We are going to have major flooding around here if spring hits with a bunch of warm weather and rain. We can only hope for a series of a couple days of thawing, then freeze back up for a few days.

Ausable
02-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Ipakiz - I just did a little walk around of sorts. Using an old pair of cross country ski poles and following deer trails. The snow is 2 to 3 feet deep in most areas. Found several deer beds on the South side of a hill about 3 feet deep - well used. No debris or signs of looking for acorns. Most all the low brush has the tops ate off - If we don't get a serious thaw in early March there will be a large Winter deer die off and few fawns dropped in May. Anyway - I would not want to tap right now - a little tooooo much snow for this old boy - too cold anyway. ----Mike----

wishlist
02-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Mike, I think your right about the deer. Turkeys are having a hard time as well.

I did see our wonderful DNR is issuing wood permits now, I think its close to 2 months earlier than normal. They said in the press release due to extremely cold winter it will help folks replenish their supplies. Just one question, how in the heck would you get it or for that matter even find any? Can't cut dead standing so it would be a tuff go for sure!

Ausable
02-08-2014, 03:22 PM
wishlist - It would be all bull work trying to get it out right now. Another nice thing about making maple syrup - You have a backup wood supply if You run out of firewood for the house. I would hate to miss a maple syrup season for that reason. But - good to have that dried wood in reserve. Been a long Winter buddy. ---Mike---

wishlist
02-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Your right about a long winter Mike. I have some roadside trees that have 8ft of snow piled up against them . Its wide open farmland and drifted really bad in that area. Guess I'll need a step ladder to remove taps at the end of season . :(

Lethalbowman
02-10-2014, 11:13 AM
8693 My Sister & I went for a snowshoe walk on my 20 acres in Grand Traverse County Saturday afternoon just to check things out as I have not been back there since early January. I found several well pack deer trails crisscrossing through the thicker stuff. There is a solid 3' of snow on the ground just about everywhere. I would be happy with a few 25-30 degree sunny days just to get the snow to settle down to 12" or so as it's mostly powder. I used snowshoes to gather sap last year and I think I will be doing the same again this year.

DrTimPerkins
02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
My prediction based upon years of experience and scientific experimentation is that the longer the temperature remains too cold for the sap to run, the later the season will be. :)

Ausable
02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
My prediction based upon years of experience and scientific experimentation is that the longer the temperature remains too cold for the sap to run, the later the season will be. :)

LOL - You are really sticking Your neck out on that Prediction - Doctor. ------Hmmmm! What if You are wrong? lol You could write weather for The Farmers Almanac. Hey! I like Your sense of humor. ----Mike----

adk1
02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
It's kind of funny to listen to everyone depending on last years tapping date and weather pattern. This year is defiantly much colder on average. Might change in the next few weeks though

Ausable
02-11-2014, 08:09 AM
It's kind of funny to listen to everyone depending on last years tapping date and weather pattern. This year is defiantly much colder on average. Might change in the next few weeks though

adk1 --- I hope You are right. At the moment - the Sun is shining and it is -12F. As long as the firewood holds up - Life is good. Soon it will be heat and bugs. Guess - I had better enjoy what I have at the moment. ------The Sap will Rise ----rather drip---- Again. ----Mike----

Lethalbowman
02-11-2014, 01:41 PM
The long range forecast is for temps to climb all the way up to high 20's to low 30's next week, It's going to feel like beach weather compared to what we have been getting lately.

mantispid
02-11-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking I may start tapping next week here in the Kalamazoo area if the long range forecast holds true (I know, I know...). But then it looks like it will be above freezing for a bit. Hopefully it won't stay that way.

DonMcJr
02-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Next week looks to start a warm up... then I'm hearing possible a lot of rain Next Weekend ( 2/22/2014 ) but it's really too soon to know that for sure.

I'm gonna be ready to tap next week and when it seems the right time to me I can have all my taps, hoses and buckets up in about 4 hours...

I still want to go ice fishing more lol and when Sugaring starts no time for ice fishing! Boil, Boil, and Boil Some more!

wnybassman
02-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Next week looks to start a warm up... then I'm hearing possible a lot of rain Next Weekend ( 2/22/2014 ) but it's really too soon to know that for sure.

I'm gonna be ready to tap next week and when it seems the right time to me I can have all my taps, hoses and buckets up in about 4 hours...

I still want to go ice fishing more lol and when Sugaring starts no time for ice fishing! Boil, Boil, and Boil Some more!

No doubt, I'm squeezing in all the ice fishing I can right now knowing it will come to an abrupt halt soon.

This was yesterday!

DonMcJr
02-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Nice laker!

fishman
02-14-2014, 10:10 AM
We are at 70 days without being above freezing. Have had a lot of -5 to -25 mornings with highs of 0 to 5 degrees. We still don't have a crust on the snow and snowshoeing is really tough. Forget trying to take a snowmobile off a trail that hasn't been packed on a consistent basis all winter. Maybe with a long wide tracked sled but even those have been getting stuck around here. Most of our foresters in the area are really struggling to get any timber marked in a timely fashion. Deer are really struggling also. Been into the deer yard across the road from my house a few times recently and the deer are looking pretty bad. I can walk up within 30-40 feet of them before they move. Knock down a cedar branch and they are on it like flies before I get 60 feet away.

Sam Caruth
02-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Next week, we're going to have 5 days in a row above freezing, but only 2 days in the 40s. Should I Maybe tap in the beginning of next week? Or hold off until march?

DonMcJr
02-16-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm holding off still... the warm up Wednesday and Thursday is supposed to be short lived around here (Port Huron Area) wit 2 days barely hitting 40 the back to below 20F Weather... At this rate we might not tap til April...LMAO

Ausable
02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Wow! What a change in the Weather. Yesterday the Mrs. and I were both out blowing snow from the night before and today - at Noon - in my little part of Michigan - it is Sunny and 45F. LOL - Now - it Feels like tapping weather ------- But ------ I know better. It is nice to have a day lik this though. - It won't be long now. --Mike--

wishlist
02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
You got tht right Mike. I waited till about 10:30 this morning, had a brief blizzard , then beautiful sunshine with no wind. Ran another 500 ft of tubing , of course the snow was deep. Probably gonna need a step ladder to reach the tubing after the snow melts. LOL.....

sugar daddy 1
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Looks like old man winter isn't going to give up without a fight. Here are so of our later tap dates,3-12-03, 3-14-06, 3-10-08. Which also makes for a short season.

mantispid
02-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Well, the extended forecast doesn't have any above-freezing temps in sight... And that goes out to March 14th. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets near April before anything thaws! Incidentally, this may considerably delay my honey bee shipments...

MIMapler
02-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Like most of you, I've been spending way too much time looking at online weather forecasts. Unlike most of the sites I've visited, accuweather.com has predicted a significant warming trend in SW MI by March 12th. It may not be right, but it looks good anyway.

Sengelaub Farms
02-28-2014, 01:11 PM
So is this considered coming in as a Lion for March?

rayi
02-28-2014, 04:41 PM
This tread started one month ago. Don you sure know how to understate things

Greenthumb
03-01-2014, 05:38 AM
Anyone plan on a firework show on July 4th from the sugarbush while boiling. At the rate we are going it seems we may be tapping in July

maplerookie
03-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Well it is a late season in comparison to the previous 4 or 5 . I think this is what our forefathers had though. So we just chill and wait for a great season and plan accordingly. It has given lots of set up time for the procrastinators that is for sure. so now wood is all split. oil is ready. taps organized, apparatus cleaned and waiting.. Correct?

DonMcJr
03-01-2014, 06:37 AM
I'm seeing a possible start around the 10th of March...still thing thats gonna be a bit early though. Ill probably be tapping Sunday the 9th and then Ill be ready when it breaks loose...

On 2nd thought I am gonna Tap this coming Thursday...Friday starts the Warm up and I am hoping this is THE warm-up...if not the taps will be in and ready when it hits!

Spolcik
03-01-2014, 08:57 AM
I with you Don. I'm tapping starting firsts of next week finishing by the weekend. Accuwheather has it warming up starting Friday the 7th in my area anyway. ( mid MicHigan)

fishman
03-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Well with over-30 yesterday and predicted -10 to-15 below for the next several nights, I think I'll go pop a cold one and ponder the meaning of life in da UP eh. No tapping in the foreseeable future up here

Don(MI)
03-01-2014, 06:35 PM
I think its good to be excited about season coming up, but reality is.....we still have awhile to wait fellas.

My bet is around the 15th to tap now. To me....even 1 or 2 sporatic days with temps over 32 wont mean jack; if it drops down the next 3-4 days to artic weather again. Just aint worth it.

ehausinfrats
03-01-2014, 08:55 PM
I am waiting also. My concern is that when it does turn warm it misses spring and goes to summer temps and the trees bud out. Game over.

David in MI
03-01-2014, 09:28 PM
We may need to employ a marketing campaign for organic buddy syrup this year!

I'm glad the season isn't here yet; we moved our home in January and trying to get things ready has been killing me lately. Hopefully I'll be done just before the weather breaks. It was quite balmy in Michilaska today! :cool:

mantispid
03-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, the extended cold weather has had me use up all of my evaporator wood just to keep the house warm. Thank goodness for locust trees. They seem to season themselves while growing. Will be felling and splitting them in the next week or so. Just as soon as I finish making the evaporator... Should have the welds done and the fire bricks lining it this weekend if all goes well.

Lethalbowman
03-03-2014, 10:49 AM
-21 as I headed to work this morning here in the Traverse City area. Going to need a long worm spell with plenty of sunshine just to get all the snow we have on the ground melting. I may just head out to the woods and start tapping a few trees this weekend just because I feel like it. LOL!