PDA

View Full Version : Operation question about releasers

MN Jake
01-27-2014, 09:36 PM
What is the reason an electric pump isn't used in a releaser to manage the sap level? Is it....

A. It will cavitate from the vacuum.

B. reliability.

C. Can't think of anything else.

The reason I ask is a shallow well pump will lift 25 feet. Sap vacs are + or - 28" water column correct?
Or maybe I am not following correctly.

markct
01-27-2014, 10:03 PM
They are used in an electric releaser, the disadvantage is that you need power and also you need to keep it from freezing.

MN Jake
01-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Sorry, hate when that happens. Finding them on the web now. Must not have typed the right keywords before.

markct
01-27-2014, 10:30 PM
If power is available I much preffer an electric releaser, they don't hang up etc and can be built easier and cheaper than a mechanical one usualy

MN Jake
01-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks for answering. Minnesota isn't much of syrup state and I know zero people other than myself that tap. So there isn't anyone here to help, closest would be a 2 hour drive to Wisconsin. I would have liked to go vacuum this year but I doubt that will happen now.

jmayerl
01-27-2014, 11:37 PM
More syrup is made in Minnesota than you think, come to think of it I know a few producers there.

MN Jake
01-28-2014, 09:39 AM
I understand that, my point was is that we are on the very western edge and pretty sparse at that. I am very visual and would understand the mechanical workings of pumps and releasers if I saw working operation. I am in construction so my days off are days like today and it started at 20 below, not much time off other than that. This will have to be my last year using buckets on my land, last year I had tendonitis so dang bad I couldn't swing my hammer for 3 months. (From carrying buckets) But it's so much fun!!!

wiam
01-28-2014, 09:43 AM
If power is available I much preffer an electric releaser, they don't hang up etc and can be built easier and cheaper than a mechanical one usualy

And you don't lose any vacuum when it empties.