PDA

View Full Version : Block arch designs

nepatom
01-27-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm new to this site and have been looking around it but I was wondering if anyone has designs or sketches for building a block arch.. I have been using turkey friers and it takes too long & is expensive w/propane. I would like to build something out of concrete block roughly 36" wide x 48" long x 24" high. Should I fill blocks w/sand, I plan on using 20x12x6 steam table pans, put in a grate for the fire. I'm retired and have a limited budget, that it why I am thinking of this design, I can do it myself.
Would appreciate any help I could get, do's and don'ts etc.

Thanks
nepatom

Evets
01-27-2014, 08:44 AM
I built a block arch for the first time this year. Of course, I haven't used it yet, so I don't really know how it's going to work, but I think it will be ok. Like you, I had previously used a turkey fryer setup.
I dry-stacked my block so I could disassemble it easier and rebuild it later. I filled the block around the fire box with pearlite I had left from another project. I know I should have insulation between the block and fire brick, but that will have to wait til next season.

nepatom
01-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the pics & info, looks nice. What is the purpose of the back where you have the bricks stacked up at an angle ??.
I like how you made the angle iron support for the top to hold the pans, good idea trying out 1st before cementing the blocks together. If you get time, let me know how it works for you. Our weather here in Scranton area has been single digits for the last few weeks.
thxs again

Lethalbowman
01-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Nice to see someone else building a block arch to boil down sap this year. I will be putting one together just as soon as I can get to the area where I want it to be. It's buried under 3-4' of snow right now so I am gathering materials in my pole barn so I am ready to assemble once the weather breaks. I will also be doing a dry stack for this year just to make sure it will work. I will be using a single 24" X 30" batch pan to evaporate the syrup. I think I will make it so that I can slide the pan off the arch once I reach 216 degrees and then finish it off on the stove.

emo
01-27-2014, 12:45 PM
I have been using the same block arch for 5 years. The concrete blocks are set far enough apart to support the edges of the pans. I lined the inside of the block with solid paver brick; about the same size as standard brick. Some of the bricks have cracked, but otherwise they seem to be holding up ok.854785488549 The blocks are hollow, covered by a half height solid block. The block holding the exhaust, I made using a form, so the that block fit the opening in the wall. It took about 80lbs of concrete. There is rebar in the concrete about and below the 6" pipe to reinforce it. The door sits on a bar of flat metal that is screwed to the front edge of the block.

Evets
01-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the pics & info, looks nice. What is the purpose of the back where you have the bricks stacked up at an angle ??.
I like how you made the angle iron support for the top to hold the pans, good idea trying out 1st before cementing the blocks together. If you get time, let me know how it works for you. Our weather here in Scranton area has been single digits for the last few weeks.
thxs again

From what I gathered reading different posts here on the forum, the ramp directs the heat up towards the chimney and keeps the heat close to the back pan and eliminates the dead space for more efficient boiling.
Looks like the cold spell might break here in the next week or so. I'm looking to tap some trees here in the next couple of weeks.
I plan to use the turkey fryer as a pre-heater and finish on the kitchen stove again like last year.

maplerookie
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
I used a block arch first year and plan on one this year. first year I had no fire brick...still don't there were gaps in my arch.. no insulation. 4 inch aluminum pipe attached to some gutter downspout.. that was roughly set into the blocks to offer some draft...not much.2 four 4 inch deep steam table pans..a n old coffee can for the pre heater. . for the back yarder I was a happy guy...made 1.5 gallons of syrup . this year I at least have a 3 sided hut built and aim to drystack my blocks again with a precast block for the 6 inch stove pipe using an old bath tub as my sap feeder . I just rest the pans on the edge of the block as well...soon looking to retire and r.then hope to make bigger and better plans.

Late Bite
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
I made a simple block arch last year and was very surprised at how well it worked. It exceeded my expectations and was inexpensive. I also was able to use wood that I couldn't use before due to the size of the arch. I was able to use branches up to 6" in diameter and 32" long. Saves big time on wood cutting/splitting. I also bough a new 2'X4' for this set up. The blocks used were 8"X16" standard concrete blocks and I did not fill them. I was concerned about the frost coming out of the ground and the blocks shifting, rendering a quick adjustment Impossible while Boiling. The fire box part is only 36" deep. The arch is only two rows high to keep the heat on the pan. I laid a row of block inside width wise with small pavers on top to drive the flame up to the pan. There was only a 2" gap between the pan and blocks. This I picked up on this forum (works great). I use a pail with a small hole to slowly add sap to the pan while boiling. I have an 8" stack and a crude steel door on the front. I can easily boil 10 plus gallons per hour on this thing. I think the best part is being able to use the twisted branches, these also seem to burn very hot also. I did have some blocks that cracked and will most likely replace this year. But for me at $.95 they are cheap to replace. Anyhow I hope this helps. Good luck to everyone this year.

Z/MAN
01-27-2014, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=nepatom;236802]Thanks for the pics & info, looks nice. What is the purpose of the back where you have the bricks stacked up at an angle ??.
thxs again[/QUOTE

nepatom, Where are you around Scranton? I'm in Daleville. Let me know if you need anything.
Paul

nepatom
01-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Paul, I live on 590 over by the Curtis Reservoir, Jefferson Twp.

Z/MAN
01-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Paul, I live on 590 over by the Curtis Reservoir, Jefferson Twp.
nepatom, 570-650-5715 if you need anything!

nepatom
01-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Paul, I know a couple guys over in Madison twp that make syrup, actually I went to high school w/one, way back when. I'm going to stop over and see what they have put together once they start boiling. How complicated is the brew process (I'm a Beer drinker) have a Keg-o-rator.

Z/MAN
01-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Tom, With the extract beer kits it is really quite simple. If you can boil water you can brew some good beer. The hardest part is the time it takes for all the cleaning and sanitizing. I put it in kegs, lots easier then doing bottles. The guys from Madisonville wouldn't be Bear and Bob huh?

nepatom
01-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Yes Bear and Bob, I ran into them during Deer season, I graduated w/Bob and had not seen him since, nice guys. Small world at times

northernlite
04-27-2015, 05:37 AM
so did you use sand in the block?