PDA

View Full Version : Buckets to Collect sap

tendermason
01-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Would like lowes or home depot 5 buckets be ok to collect sap ? Thanks

RC Maple
01-27-2014, 07:48 AM
I know Lowes has buckets (5 gal) that say they are food grade and even have a sticker saying so. I use those for gathering. We don't have a Home Depot close by so I don't know what they have.

happy thoughts
01-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Only if both containers and lids are marked food grade. Don't take the word of the floor help. It should be clearly marked on the label or may have a glass and fork or knife symbol molded into the plastic.

The same buckets can often be gotten for free or cheap at a bakery. Icing and fruit filling comes in them and they are usually discarded or recycled. You'll have to clean them up but the price is right.

Evets
01-27-2014, 08:04 AM
I'll second the Icing buckets from a bakery idea. I've been getting them from the bakery in our local grocery all winter. Nice heavy duty buckets with lids that have a nice rubber gasket for an air-tight seal. All for free. I promised the ladies some syrup later in the spring.

Cake O' Maple
01-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Lowe's is charging extra for their food grade buckets. If you have a Rural King near you, their white buckets are food grade; I called the manufacturer 2 years ago about it. Plus, is you have a little time, they go on sale periodically, but regardless, they're cheaper than Lowe's food grade buckets.

BTW, the bakeries around here don't give or sell their buckets anymore.

WESTMAPLES
01-27-2014, 08:46 AM
home depot 5 gal orange homer pails are not food grade, they do sell 100% FG white pails but 10 pails are $53 bucks, lowes buckets seem to be commonly made of food plastic ive also found bakerys will give you there fruit and icing pails you just have to ask politely and pick them up when they want them gone easiest way to get inexpensive buckets and lids ive found

Biz
01-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Is it harmful to use non food grade buckets, or is this a regulation for commercial sales? Is food-grade plastic different than non food grade? I've used non food grade 5-gallon pails for years, but don't sell my syrup, it's mostly for home use.

BlueberryHill
01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
The police state is gaining steam, but you are still safe using whatever pail you want to lug sap for your own consumption. Even in Mass.

You still might want to use some food grade pails. They are pretty cheap at Lowes. Who knows what is in the plastic in your non-food grade pails. Its likely made from recycled plastic. Maybe there is some plastic in there from some little tikes first potty or something. Tampon applicators are plastic too I think. Just sayin

WESTMAPLES
01-27-2014, 02:40 PM
to me its more worth using proper equipment like food grade plastic, not recycled and stainless everything else. ive been that way since the start, and its a good piece of mind to know your using the equipment that's proper, not just whatever works. if your doing it for yourself its your choice really, but in all honesty it makes your operation look better and it leaves less questions in the end . but were all hear to help each other with personal opinions and facts

happy thoughts
01-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Other things that might lead to a non food grade classification- dyes, coloring agents and mold rreleasingr compounds not suitable for human consumption.

maple flats
01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Other plastics that had hazardous chemicals in them are also recycled. Pesticide containers aren't supposed to be recycled, but they do have a recycle triangle on them so you never know.
For the $1 or even $2 extra you might pay is worth the peace of mind.

birdmancf
01-27-2014, 04:25 PM
I use the BPA free, food grade buckets from Lowes to collect my sap. You can rest the lid on, or lock it on (be sure to get one of the handy plastic tools for popping the lids off these babies, way safer/easier than a screwdriver:-) ). I put the tubing through the top on most and just change out the bucket when collecting. If you have the bucket roadside where you worry about tampering, go through the upper lip with an old tap or 't' inside and lock the lid on. No one will mess with it after trying to take the lid off once.

buckeye gold
01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
well I am "floor help" at a Lowes and you can believe me, ok? At least in our region the buckets from Lowes are from Encore plastics and I personally contacted them. The food grade buckets and proper (white lids) are virgin food grade plastic. Most of the others are first run plastic, but could have some recyled plastic. The encore representative said she felt confident that no harmful plastics are in any of their buckets, but the only one they stand behind as true food grade is the white one with the sticker. They are reasonably priced and if you purchase a quantity you get a price break from Lowes.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-27-2014, 05:35 PM
The police state is gaining steam, but you are still safe using whatever pail you want to lug sap for your own consumption. Even in Mass.

You still might want to use some food grade pails. They are pretty cheap at Lowes. Who knows what is in the plastic in your non-food grade pails. Its likely made from recycled plastic. Maybe there is some plastic in there from some little tikes first potty or something. Tampon applicators are plastic too I think. Just sayin
thats why my syrup has a different taste to it